I've got a 98 MIM Fender strat.
Original color was a hideous purple/blue, but then I sanded it and painted it black, which somehow formed crackles.
So, now I'm back to sanding it down and trying again.
I had planned to use red mahogany Minwax stain, and sealer.
But now, I think it would look better without stain, and would match the back of the neck. (rosewood fretboard, btw.)
So if I have only the bare alder body, is Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane gloss spray safe to use, with say, about 3 coats?
And also, would I have to sand the final coat for any reason? I would rather not because I want it to remain glossy, but let me know what you think.
And one last question, does anyone know why on the body, the wood would be darker on the arm rest slope, and the curve on the back side?
Cusp of Magic
After you've built up a good layer of clear on your body, you may have to sand. Chances are you won't be able to get a very nice spray from an aerosol can. So you may have runs, orange peel, etc. You can wetsand it with 1000 grit to smooth out those runs and roughness (use a foam sanding block). Then you buff it with either a buffer or I just use an old T-shirt.
Quote by Chaos-Serenade
And one last question, does anyone know why on the body, the wood would be darker on the arm rest slope, and the curve on the back side?

Either it's the color of the wood, or something got spilled on it in the shop, best I can think of.
Is it like, alot darker or just a little bit of a different shade?
It's a little darker, like noticably but not horribly bad.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Cusp of Magic
So I've gotten all the paint sanded off.
Now I've come to the conclusion about the darker areas.
It appears that the darker areas are actually the body itself, like on the bottom edge you can clearly tell by the grain and lines that there are 7 pieces of wood glued together, and the lighter areas are only on the top and bottom, but are very very thin, perhaps to keep the individual pieces together.
Does anyone have any clue about this?
I always though Fender bodies were a solid piece of alder.
Cusp of Magic