Page 1 of 3
last night, a girl a year younger than me committed suicide immediately after prom. the entire town is puzzled as to why, and it just brings me to thinking how a person can have so many hidden demons that eventually drive them to do such a thing. i know for a fact the entire town of around 2,000 will be crushed tomorrow when it becomes major news while everyone's out and about.
anyone else have the same experience? i don't really know what to think about it. i wasn't close to her at all, more or less just knew her name and who she was, but it's still very weird knowing this happened to someone i saw around the school and town regularly.
thanks for any input, and RIP
Sucks.

there's not much else to say
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
when i was in school a kid did this because of something he did that he was really ashamed of, it's pretty sad because if he had just waited it out the feelings would probably have passed

RIP
I hope it didn't have anything to do with Prom.

I knew a girl who did recently though. It...... it just sucks.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Quote by xX.SirenSong.Xx
last night, a girl a year younger than me committed suicide immediately after prom. the entire town is puzzled as to why, and it just brings me to thinking how a person can have so many hidden demons that eventually drive them to do such a thing. i know for a fact the entire town of around 2,000 will be crushed tomorrow when it becomes major news while everyone's out and about.
anyone else have the same experience? i don't really know what to think about it. i wasn't close to her at all, more or less just knew her name and who she was, but it's still very weird knowing this happened to someone i saw around the school and town regularly.
thanks for any input, and RIP

Yeah, I've known two people so far who have commited suicide, one guy and one girl, both pretty good friends of mine, and in both cases there was no apparent clue that either of them were suffering from any form of depression.
It kinda makes you feel guilty for not knowing what a state they were really in while they were acting perfectly normal around their friends. You tend to think, "If only I had known, if only I had paid more attention, maybe I could have helped, maybe they'd still be alive" but the fact is, no one could have helped because they both kept their personal feelings so well hidden.
I get really down every now and then, but I've never been in such a state that I've wanted to literally end my life. Maybe she saw a guy she liked with another girl or something like that? I've heard of people committing suicide for such reasons.

Either way, it's horrible news. RIP, nobody deserves to die so young.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Yeah, I've known two people so far who have commited suicide, one guy and one girl, both pretty good friends of mine, and in both cases there was no apparent clue that either of them were suffering from any form of depression.
It kinda makes you feel guilty for not knowing what a state they were really in while they were acting perfectly normal around their friends. You tend to think, "If only I had known, if only I had paid more attention, maybe I could have helped, maybe they'd still be alive" but the fact is, no one could have helped because they both kept their personal feelings so well hidden.

thats actually very common. some people dont show signs of depression until its too late. which leaves the family and friends in awe about the reasoning behind their death.
this might be too sick to share, but i will anyway, the guy i knew hung himself in his house and his younger brother found him
That is just...shit.

RIP
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Everyone's got problems man, the important thing is to not let them get to you.

Also I'm really sorry about your friend, must've had too much to deal with.
Quote by beyondthegrave
this is the pit. worse shit than that is posted on a daily basis.

after that happened i kept thinking i saw people hanging in their opened garages in my neighbourhood
ya i know what you're saying, i actually didn't keep thinking i saw people hanging it just happened a few times and i was like should i call someone, i never did though, but i never heard about anyone hanging themselves in my neighborhood so it was just in my head

also i just remembered a friends dad committed suicide also while i was in school, i knew the family, the dad was our real estate agent, very sad stuff

edit - also, while i don't want to die, if i ever did the main thing that would prevent me from killing myself is wtf happens when you die? maybe you just stop existing but maybe any number of other things could happen and that thought is just way too scary
Last edited by mizxou at Jun 13, 2011,
Quote by mizxou

edit - also, while i don't want to die, if i ever did the main thing that would prevent me from killing myself is wtf happens when you die? maybe you just stop existing but maybe any number of other things could happen and that thought is just way too scary

Personaly, it'd be all the pain it would cause my loved ones that would prevent me from doing it.
Quote by mizxou

ive thought about it from time to time....but i always overcomin it by thinkin about the impact it will have on my family. thats why earlier in the thread i stated that i dont own guns. i know i wont kill myself with any other means. a gun is almost instant and with anything else you have time to realize youve made a mistake.
but even if I shoot myself in the head I have no guarantee that my body or soul wont feel eternal pain or something like that

also you're right the eternal pain that your loved ones will feel, it's very cruel to inflict that on them

but with that said I'm like giddy school girl happy to be alive, just breathing the air outside, man that's good
Hmm... Never known anyone that's committed suicide, but hey, I'm only 16. I can imagine it'd be pretty surreal though, like one day the person's there, then the next, they're not.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by mizxou

I just think about how much life I still have to live, and what the future holds for me. When I feel extremely depressed, I just think to myself that the feelings will pass.

The most depressed I've ever been was when my girlfriend and I broke up after two happy years together. Neither of us wanted to end it, but her family was EXTREMELY religious and they made her feel extremely guilty for dating an agnostic. (I'm not a fan of religion too much anymore). After a while, she cracked and couldn't do it anymore. Despite wanting to keep it going, she didn't want to lose her family (and they would have given her shit for her entire life...) I cried for a week and lost about five kilograms, because all I wanted to do was sleep and hold her again. I didn't eat for days, and I was just in a terrible state.

That is perhaps the closest I've ever come to wanting to kill myself, and while the thought certainly crossed my mind, there was no way I would have EVER tried anything. I like life. Life is fun and full of surprises, pleasant and unwanted. I knew things would get better in time, I just needed to climb over the hill I was at the bottom of. All worked out better than expected, and the two of us are still best friends.

Wow, wrote more than I thought I would... x3
Last edited by 'Leviathan' at Jun 13, 2011,
Quote by mizxou
but even if I shoot myself in the head I have no guarantee that my body or soul wont feel eternal pain or something like that

There's no real reason to suppose it will. As far as we know, conciousness is generated by a living brain, so once the brain dies our experiences of existence should also end.

And even if some form of concious existence does continue after death, when you think about it, it'd be pretty hard for an immaterial soul with no nerve endings to feel any pain.

But the pain and suffering and feelings of guilt that a suicide would leave our loved ones experiencing is most certainly real.
Read David Foster Wallace's short story entitled "Good Old Neon". It deals with suicide and all that subjectivity that's involved in things of that affair.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

I had a close friend who comitted suicide last year. His dad passed away with cancer only a couple of months before, and in my friend's goodbye-letter it said that he's sorry, but he really, really wanted to be with his dad.
So he took his moms car and ran it into a tree, going 150 km/h

I think it's generally very cowardly to commit suicide, its very inconsederate of anyone you leave behind. There are so many people who want to live but die in an accident, or die of a horrible disease. It's especially frustrating when you get no warning whatsoever. In general life he seemed like this normal guy, he always scored well in school, had many friends... , but his thoughts in his head about his dad must have taken over.

Sad story
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.

UG's only Belgian Prog Rock band member
Here's my Equipboard: http://equipboard.com/wdsuita
Quote by SlackerBabbath
There's no real reason to suppose it will. As far as we know, conciousness is generated by a living brain, so once the brain dies our experiences of existence should also end.

And even if some form of concious existence does continue after death, when you think about it, it'd be pretty hard for an immaterial soul with no nerve endings to feel any pain.

But the pain and suffering and feelings of guilt that a suicide would leave our loved ones experiencing is most certainly real.

as true as i feel that is some people hold onto their beleifs with expectaions that there is something on the others side.
It's a really terrible thing to happen in a small town. I've got a few stories:

1. The shop teacher at my school, who is an extremely strong and nice man, whom I consider a role model, found his oldest son after he shot himself in their backyard. Then, a few years ago, his wife was involved in a fatal car accident. His daughter graduated this year, 18 and pregnant.

2. There's an extremely nice guy that graduated a few years ago from my school. Extremely handsome, always friendly, all that stuff. His dad shot himself with a shot gun in their front yard. He's still one of the nicest guys I know. I remember he wore a suit and tie to school on the anniversary of his dad's death.
i just remembered that a teacher when i was in high school committed suicide, she was my sisters homeroom teacher and my sister really liked her, sad stuff
A death, particularly in a small town is terrible.
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
Quote by 'Leviathan'
I just think about how much life I still have to live, and what the future holds for me. When I feel extremely depressed, I just think to myself that the feelings will pass.

The most depressed I've ever been was when my girlfriend and I broke up after two happy years together. Neither of us wanted to end it, but her family was EXTREMELY religious and they made her feel extremely guilty for dating an agnostic. (I'm not a fan of religion too much anymore). After a while, she cracked and couldn't do it anymore. Despite wanting to keep it going, she didn't want to lose her family (and they would have given her shit for her entire life...) I cried for a week and lost about five kilograms, because all I wanted to do was sleep and hold her again. I didn't eat for days, and I was just in a terrible state.

That is perhaps the closest I've ever come to wanting to kill myself, and while the thought certainly crossed my mind, there was no way I would have EVER tried anything. I like life. Life is fun and full of surprises, pleasant and unwanted. I knew things would get better in time, I just needed to climb over the hill I was at the bottom of. All worked out better than expected, and the two of us are still best friends.

Wow, wrote more than I thought I would... x3

Sucks to hear man. Religion really fuucks sh!t up for people. It's rather stupid.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by SlackerBabbath

There's some research to suggest that, at least in men, a frequent cause of suicide attempts comes from an intolerable disconnect between the true self and the public image along with a massive fear of the true self being revealed. So ya, at least by that conception it would be impossible, by definition, to tell that someone was going to kill themselves.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
It's awful how people can come to such a point where they take their lives. I've got Seasonal Affective Disorder (with the apt acronym of SAD), so I get down during the winter months, but I can't imagine what it'd be like to have full-blown depression; i've only witnessed it in my father, and thankfully he's fought his way out of it. Worse, the despair they felt believing they just couldn't bring themselves around to talk about it, or get some form of help. I've been to a few seminars about it and did a bit of work for a foundation a few holidays ago, and it's heart-breaking knowing how many people just break down and cry when you ask them if anything's wrong, and how many more people don't have anyone to ask that question.
And maybe it's just the taboo around it, but depression and treatment regarding depression still isn't treated as a serious issue. At least not until someone's hit directly by it. "Unfortunately, there is often a need of some concrete incident before one
can discover the real state of one's feelings" - George Orwell.
It just doesn't bear thinking about the things these people go through; the fear, sadness, anguish, pain, too afraid to do anything until they finally get driven to suicide.

Also, inb4 the usual knuckleheads start shitting up this thread with their "cowards way out" garbage.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by beyondthegrave

yeah man.. but you have to think its from our stand point. some people need it to get by.

Yeah, there is that to be said about religion, without it and the notion that suicide is a sin that will result in punishment in the afterlife, many more people could have succumed to suicidal feelings.
A friend of mine killed herself yesterday too. For a second, I thought this thread would be about her.

Sorry to hear that, TS. R.I.P.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Yeah, there is that to be said about religion, without it and the notion that suicide is a sin that will result in punishment in the afterlife, many more people could have succumed to suicidal feelings.

I'm still very much an agnostic, and I tend not to care too much about religion, despite not thinking too highly of it. I just feel that when it gets to the point of guilt tripping, and the feeling that an 18 year-old girl's family will disown her unless she finds a 'suitable religious boy', instead of being with who she feels safe and happy with, it has gone too far, and is quite detrimental.

The whole 'religion' thing was never a problem between us, until her family began asking questions and making accusations. It eventually led her to overthink everything, and create problems that weren't there to begin with. By that point, everything was too far gone anyway. While I wanted to still be with her, it didn't make sense to her anymore, and I wouldn't have wanted to re-enter that relationship knowing what I know now.
Quote by 'Leviathan'
I just feel that when it gets to the point of guilt tripping, and the feeling that an 18 year-old girl's family will disown her unless she finds a 'suitable religious boy', instead of being with who she feels safe and happy with, it has gone too far, and is quite detrimental.

totally true man
Page 1 of 3