Hi,

I'm sure this general question has been asked many times before, but I'll ask it again in relation to my specific guitar.

I've just bought a new Tanglewood TSJ CE XFM (see here). It came with light gauge strings (12s), as you would expect. On my previous guitar I always used D'Addario lights, as I found them to produce a crisp, bright sound and to wear fairly well. However, the guy in the shop said that I had a relatively heavy strumming style and might like to try a set of mediums. So I took some D'Addario mediums when I bought the guitar.

I was looking on the Tanglewood website and found the following comments about strings:

Strings

When changing your guitar strings, remove and install one string at a time. This will minimize the shock of releasing all the string tension on the neck. We strongly recommend the use of Light or Medium gauge strings. String sets with a low "E" larger than .54MM are not recommended. Strings will last longer if wiped down with a dry cloth after each use.

(My underlining.) The low E string in the D'Addario mediums is a .056 gauge. Should I avoid putting these strings on the guitar? Are they likely to damage it/bend the neck etc.?

Thanks in advance,

Rob
your getting fret buzz because the strings are too big and the guitar is not set up for them, take it back, and get it set up for the strings, also dont get d'addarios, get ELIXER strings, they dominate in everyway.

Also dont use the strings if tanglewood says not too, it will not be covered by warrenty.
only go with strings heavier than recommended by the manufacturer if you don't mind damage to your guitar that isn't covered by warranty. i prefer d'addarios pb's to elixers, but there are plenty of brands you can try.

btw, the guy in the shop sounds like a wanker.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Thanks for your replies. My thoughts exactly – I'm not going to knowingly exceed the manufacturer's guideline string tensions and thus void the warranty.
I ended up with a different guitar – a Simon & Patrick Woodland mini-jumbo. I'm really interested to try it with medium rather than light gauge strings. Is this likely to cause any problems?
why not email the manufacturer? they're part of the godin family, and answer emails pretty quickly during the week.

btw, what do you think of the guitar? their woodland pro parlors are pretty nice quality.

Quote by UKRob
I ended up with a different guitar – a Simon & Patrick Woodland mini-jumbo. I'm really interested to try it with medium rather than light gauge strings. Is this likely to cause any problems?
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!