Has anybody figured this out?

The best I could do was E6/C# - Dm/F - Asus2 - D#
but this gives me no indication as to what key this whole intro is in! It's too hard to tell what's an inversion of what.

Also, there seems to be a C# Major Phrygian scale behind this, or at least in the riffage that follows a bit later...but does this have any implications for the key of the intro?
I've been trying to link this to some sort of andalusian cadence, but hours have passed...

Any help would be appreciated.

The song is Blackwater Park by Opeth btw.
i hate michael akerfeldt.
gear.

guitbox---->stompbox---->ampbox---->cabbox
Quote by XmaximX
Has anybody figured this out?

The best I could do was E6/C# - Dm/F - Asus2 - D#
but this gives me no indication as to what key this whole intro is in! It's too hard to tell what's an inversion of what.

Also, there seems to be a C# Major Phrygian scale behind this, or at least in the riffage that follows a bit later...but does this have any implications for the key of the intro?
I've been trying to link this to some sort of andalusian cadence, but hours have passed...

Any help would be appreciated.

The song is Blackwater Park by Opeth btw.
i hate michael akerfeldt.

I would help you if it wasn't for that last sentence.
Last edited by sporkman7 at Jun 13, 2011,
Opeth makes no sense, really. That's their schtick.
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Quote by sporkman7
I would help you if it wasn't for that last sentence.

Well I only hate him because I don't understand his greatness, if that's any consolation.
gear.

Quote by sporkman7
I forgive you, then

Some help please?
Some help please.
gear.

alright, my theory isn't that great, but lets see what i can do here:
the majority of the song follows D phrygian or D phrygian dominant. They also sharp the 7th, which i think is called the Egyptian scale (1 b2 3 4 5 b6 7). The first 7 notes before the progression confirm that, and the guitar solo and a few other riffs in the song use it as well. See if messing around with the D Egyptian scale gets you anywhere.

I'm not hearing the C# phrygian anywhere though. are you talking about that synth playing in the background?
Quote by sporkman7
alright, my theory isn't that great, but lets see what i can do here:
the majority of the song follows D phrygian or D phrygian dominant. They also sharp the 7th, which i think is called the Egyptian scale (1 b2 3 4 5 b6 7). The first 7 notes before the progression confirm that, and the guitar solo and a few other riffs in the song use it as well. See if messing around with the D Egyptian scale gets you anywhere

Thanks a heap, working on it now.

Quote by sporkman7

I'm not hearing the C# phrygian anywhere though. are you talking about that synth playing in the background?

By C# major-phrygian, I mean C# D E# F# G# A B# (C#), which I gathered from 1:26-1:28 on this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loGXDKEwFZs

The riff is actually in D, but I wanted the scale in C# for it to fit with the work I'm doing.
gear.

It seems the majority of the song is in D major-phrygian (or spanish scale or D byzantine, according to guitar pro) which is different to alt. phryg or phryg-dom. because of its raised seventh compared to other phrygians.

D major-phrygian
D Eb F# G A Bb C#

The one section I looked at was the one part where C# major-phrygian was used.

But can anyone enlighten me as to the chord progression?
gear.

Last edited by XmaximX at Jun 13, 2011,
Good god, there's so much wrong in this thread, I don't even know where to start.
Get baked, study theory.

Quote by :-D
Why are you bringing Cm into this?