Basically, I'm looking for a good practice amp that is good at metal, a sound similar to that of Megadeth would be good. I have £200to spend, it's only for practice, right now, I have a Line 6 Spider 2 which I hate. If you know of a better amp than the Peavey Vypyr, then can you please tell me/ Thanks.
Perhaps a Vox VT30 or the older Vox AD30VT-XL? I've got the AD-XL and it's quite good to play metal with. It even reacts nicely to boost on some of the models, to further customize your sound.
If I'm high, does that make me a Flying Dutchman?

Legal weed, windmills, clogs, and speed cameras. Welcome to the Netherlands!
The Vypyrs are better than the VTs for metal.

The VTs are better for medium gain/classic rock tones, though.

I honestly think that your best bet is the Vypyr or the Fender Mustang. Either. They're both great.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Quote by Ayses
The Vypyrs are better than the VTs for metal.

The VTs are better for medium gain/classic rock tones, though.

I honestly think that your best bet is the Vypyr or the Fender Mustang. Either. They're both great.

100% agreed.

Both the Fender Mustang and the Peavey Vypyr nail metal tones really well, IMHO.
It may be also worth checking out the Roland Cube.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by MasterofHasacz
Buy yourself an EMG pickup, it turns (all most) any amp METAL!!!

Sarcasm I hope?

Back on topic, I like vypyrs quite a lot, they can be a little muddy at times when not properly eqed. Roland cubes are good for metal tones as well, where as the vox vt series are have better mid gain and clean tones imo.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by Linkerman
100% agreed.

Both the Fender Mustang and the Peavey Vypyr nail metal tones really well, IMHO.
It may be also worth checking out the Roland Cube.

I'm going to get the Fender Mustang ii. Do you know any good thrash metal sound for it by any chance?
Quote by Wisthekiller
I tried for years and couldn't get a decent metal sound out my Vypyr without using a pedal. The modelling isn't as digital as the Spider, but that doesn't mean it doesn't suck.

Did you forget to like turn it on every time?

the Vypyr is great for metal.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
^ agreed.

I can get some great metal tones on mine and mine has power tubes which technically should add some sag

I heard a guy noodling on a Mustang (not sure which one but it was big) yesterday at GC and it sounded pretty good for metal I must say.
Ok, thanks everyone. If anyone could tell me, (I know this isn't allowed) but, does anyone know any settings for Megadeth or Metallica?
Quote by Tyranator
Ok, thanks everyone. If anyone could tell me, (I know this isn't allowed) but, does anyone know any settings for Megadeth or Metallica?

The Mustang or the Vypyr?

Honestly, you'll just have to mess around until you get what you want. For comparison purposes, all the Vypyr clips in my profile were done with a flat EQ at 12 noon. Most of them have the preamp set to 4 oclock, post gain on 3 oclock and master on 12 oclock. There is a XXX - JSX comparison clip of my Vypyr 60 you might like. Or not
I was talking about the Mustang Yeah I guess I'll just have to mess around.
I like Vypyrs but here's anpther option.

I've seen these used for about $400. They will power a small cab or headphones without a power amp. Nice pre-amp to build a metal rig around later too.
Vypyr is great for metal and rock too. It just takes a bit of time and patience as there are so many options.
I have the 30w and sanperra 2 - gives a lot more options for saving settings. I used a site that has loads of setting to preload the sanperra with Metallica maiden megadeth and all manner of presets.

If youre open to 2nd hand, Keep an eye on the classifieds. I'll be putting an ad up soon as I need to sell some amps to make room for the next amp
Quote by BobDetroit
I like Vypyrs but here's anpther option.

I've seen these used for about $400. They will power a small cab or headphones without a power amp. Nice pre-amp to build a metal rig around later too.

Its got a 5W SS poweramp built in IIRC.
And 400 dollars might be a little over TS's budget.......

TS save up a bit more, grab this.
Else get the Vypyr.
Or POD HD300 if youre only gonna use headphones.
Quote by Wisthekiller
It just wouldn't sound "metal" at all. And if it did it sounded like absolute crap.

What's your idea of metal then. You keep saying it wouldn't sound metal, but you don't give a baseline idea of what you mean by metal first.

This is like saying: KFC doesn't taste like chicken, but you don't tell us what you expect chicken to taste like first.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
^ agreed

The Vypyr can do metal with no problem.

Between the XXX, JSX, 6505, DRec, KStien, and Diezel settings it should be easy. I think people walk up and realize it doesn't have an Insane Channel and then can't be arsed to turn a few knobs to get a decent tone or read the manual before hand online
Quote by ragingkitty
What's your idea of metal then. You keep saying it wouldn't sound metal, but you don't give a baseline idea of what you mean by metal first.

This is like saying: KFC doesn't taste like chicken, but you don't tell us what you expect chicken to taste like first.

Can't get Black Sabbath, Megadeth, Metallica, older Ozzy, or even Quiet Riot or Van Halen type sounds. I've looked up and tried settings, but they don't sound too good.
Quote by Wisthekiller
Can't get Black Sabbath, Megadeth, Metallica, older Ozzy, or even Quiet Riot or Van Halen type sounds. I've looked up and tried settings, but they don't sound too good.

Then your doing it wrong, I wish I had a vypyr near by so I can record some clips for ya.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
The vypyr isnt great at all . i have one for sale which i almost didnt use . The amp emulation are all the same crap with digfferent EQ in the metal channel IMO and the headphone output plainly suck . pluggin headphone through it it sound garbage .

Thats the thing about headphone output . if the company didnt take time to make a great speaker emulation ... than the headphone output will suck . you could have 1000 $ multi effects unit that the headphone output suck .. ( like the digidesign eleven rack ) . i cant tell about the pod hd thought ...

but for metal through headphone and through an amp .. my rocktron voodu valve which i paid 225 $ used ( you could get one for around 300-350 ) .. is a killer comparing to any tonelab , v-amp 2, pod x3 , vypyr , cube 15 , microtube etc and those cheap modeler ..

the speaker simulation is just great .. every thing sound stellar through headphone . its not even in the same league as all those cheap practice modeler . its not a modeler though .

wish i would have save all the money i spend on those cheap modelers ( ive had so many ) and right away bought the voodu valve . this thing is pro gear .. not practice junk . for 225 $ .. i grabbed a great deal . ( their worth 799 $ )

cube and vypyr = headphone jack suck .

seriously get a voodu valve online for around 300 $ ... youll thank me for the rest of your life . they are getting rarer to find though .. people know what their worth now .

My gear is in my sig *.. as simple as that guitar- voodu valve - headphone .

rocktron voodu valve online ftw : it has so many options .. you can dial many type of distortion and the effects ( chorus flanger compressor and para eq etc..) are just stellar . the distortion is just crunchy bite like those 80's metal band . thick for fast palmuting .

funny thing .. it was release in 1995 before the "modelling" era .. and still kick ass and receive 5 stars review .

i thought my vypyr flanger was decent ... until i tried the one of the voodu valve . now i know what great flanger is . i sound 95 % identical to the intro of metallica welcome home sanitarium on the album .. in my bedroom .. through headphone .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Jun 14, 2011,
I love my vypyr 30. Roland Cubes are nice too for a little extra cash.
ESP LTD m400
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ Sanpera I
Dunlop Crybaby Wah pedal
ISP Decimator

"Dream big, and dare to fail. I dare you to do that." - James Hetfield, HoF Speech, 09
Quote by ryevick
I would check out Carvin and Mesa Boogie for sure...

Quote by ryevick
great carvin amp... they do make a 212 combo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWHhJMvJVKk

For £200? I don't think so.
Read the original posts before spewing useless stuff.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Jun 15, 2011,