Hey guys, I've played the guitar for 3 years already but I don't think I'm good. Can anybody tell me what standard or skills must an average guitarist have if he or she had played for 3 years.
There's really no way to measure that, it's all based on how often you play, if you've had lessons/know theory, and how much you challenge yourself in the music you play.
[Insert something clever here]
By now you should probably atleast be able to: feel comfortable and not awkward while playing, alternate pick, strum and change between basic chords, play the major scale in a couple positions in a given key, and learn songs by tab or by ear of a genre which you enjoy playing. That stuff is all pretty basic, so if you get that stuff under your belt you're on the right track. Realisitically though, nobody can say where you should be at or where the "average" guitarist is at after 3 years. 3 years is a long time, and everyone is different - it depends how much you played, and what you focused on.
yeah I've played for about 1,5 years now and I know quite alot theory (also bit modal stuff..)
and do quite a thing by ear or tabs (tabs=easy.... and could also quite easy find notes on my guitar
But like my technique: mostly my speed sucks.....
Last edited by Headphonehead at Jun 13, 2011,
If I still cant play by ear after 3 years and the only scale I know is practically an A Major, does it mean I'm screwed up? And I cant play very fast too. I can neither shred nor sweep.
There is no "should", and worrying about it isn't going to achieve anything.

If you want to get better you simply need to identify your weaknesses and work on them, if you're having trouble identifying them post an mp3 to your profile or post a link to a YouTube vid and we can offer advice.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
You should be skilled enough to play the music you hear in your head. If you're not that good yet then keep practicing.

Time doesn't factor into it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yeah man, thats another thing I cant do. Whenever I hear a beautiful tune in my own head, I just cant nail it on my guitar. Does it have something to do with my ear training? How should I train my ear?
Quote by steven seagull
There is no "should", and worrying about it isn't going to achieve anything.

If you want to get better you simply need to identify your weaknesses and work on them, if you're having trouble identifying them post an mp3 to your profile or post a link to a YouTube vid and we can offer advice.

But I haven't got a song that I know how to play everything. I only learn parts of the song that I like.
someone who's been playing for 3 years should at least be able to play a whole song...
Quote by ThEgAmE93
But I haven't got a song that I know how to play everything. I only learn parts of the song that I like.

And do you want to learn a whole song?

If you can't it's got nothing to do with what you should or shouldn't be able to do - if you've never tried to learn a whole song before then obviosuly you're not going to be able to play one.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by ThEgAmE93
Yeah man, thats another thing I cant do. Whenever I hear a beautiful tune in my own head, I just cant nail it on my guitar. Does it have something to do with my ear training? How should I train my ear?

It's a combination of ear training, knowledge of the instrument as a whole and actually combined with those two things, knowing a lot of theory is a massive help. Unfortunately I don't know too much about ear training other than that it's a pretty damn hard thing to get the hang of at first but the more you do it the easier it gets.

Really I think the best thing you can do is pick a really simple song and try to transcribe that. Just something really easy and pentatonic like Rage Against The Machine or a simple punk song and try and get that down by ear and go from there. It is an uphill struggle though, the learning curve is pretty damn harsh.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by steven seagull
And do you want to learn a whole song?

If you can't it's got nothing to do with what you should or shouldn't be able to do - if you've never tried to learn a whole song before then obviosuly you're not going to be able to play one.

Yeah I'm currently learning "Nightmare" by Avenged Sevenfold. It's hard for me to do the solo. So I'm wondering if I'm lacking in technical skills or do I just need more practice.
Quote by ThEgAmE93
Yeah I'm currently learning "Nightmare" by Avenged Sevenfold. It's hard for me to do the solo. So I'm wondering if I'm lacking in technical skills or do I just need more practice.

Both. Although having said that, even if he's a little sloppy, Synyster Gates has a habit of composing stuff that's pretty damn hard so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by ThEgAmE93

Well if you've never managed to make it through a whole song before it's probably not an ideal choice - you're better off tackling some easier stuff to get yourself into the habit of seeing a song through from beginning to end.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by ThEgAmE93
Hey guys, I've played the guitar for 3 years already but I don't think I'm good. Can anybody tell me what standard or skills must an average guitarist have if he or she had played for 3 years.

Years mean nothing, it's how well you practice and how much of the time in there.

Are your 3 years just "5 minutes a day" or "14 hours a day like broderick"?
I can do the normal riffing and stuffs in Nightmare, except for the part after the solo.

I want to practice more but, I'm kinda lost on what to practice. Any advices?

Btw, I usually practice half an hour a day. Because I don't seem to know what to practice so I just played riffs that I know over and over again.
When you say you've played for three years, does that mean you practiced every day? Do you/have you ever taken regular lessons? They might help?
Quote by ThEgAmE93
Btw, I usually practice half an hour a day. Because I don't seem to know what to practice so I just played riffs that I know over and over again.

That's not practice then, that's playing

Go check out the stickies if you haven't already, they should help an awful lot.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I'm mostly self taught for the first two years. 2011 is the first time I've registered myself with a school to learn 1 to 1 from a teacher. I play almost everyday but I just keep on repeating riffs lol !!!.

Thanks for the advice though.
As good as me, regardless of how long I've been playing.
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

Everyone has their own pace when learning any instrument. The better question you might want to consider is "How should I develop a practice schedule?" Even with 30 minutes a day there is a lot you can be practicing. For example:

Warm ups - 10 minutes - this could be chromatic exercises with a metronome
Scale practice - 10 min. Whatever you and your teacher decide
Chord building - 5 to 10 min. Look at simple chord structures.
Ear Training - 5 to 10 min. Work on either transcribing solos or songs or if you hear something in your head try and sing if first then play it.

In this way at least you have some thing structured and you have a basic path. You can modify your practice schedule to focus on different things as you like and expand the time if needed.

Zaphod is right, playing and practicing are two different things.

All the best,
Joe Pinnavais
http://www.joepinnavaia.com
Alright I see. Thanks alot for the help I get. I'll start practicing now. All the best to everyone out there
I've been playing for nearly two years now and I've got to say looking back I've had quite a great improvement.

My speed is decent and I can do sweeping, I achieved this trough hours of practice everyday, but 30 minutes of practice should be enough. I never bothered with a metronome 'cause I couldn't understand how it works, but if anybody is willing to teach me here, then it would be much appreciated.

The down side is that I focused so much on my speed and technique that I don't know any songs and I forgot all the ones that I learned. Now all I know are exercise riffs.

Training your ear is well worth it. I still can't find whole chords by ear but I can Identify single notes on the neck, I don't know the note's names, from there I just work my way up.

For free ear-training software go to www.trainear.com
Quote by COBHC1
10,000hrs=Master of any given trade

i read that somewhere

This is pretty accurate IMO. I'd say 10,000 hours is good enough to become fluent in one genre.
It's spelled wiener.