Ok, i am playing electric guitar for about a year, and i am pretty fast, and i have build pretty good technique, but i cannot play anything using my ears.
How to train hearing, please help!!!
PS. Sorry for my bad English i am from poland
Quote by MasterofHasacz
Ok, i am playing electric guitar for about a year, and i am pretty fast, and i have build pretty good technique, but i cannot play anything using my ears.
How to train hearing, please help!!!
PS. Sorry for my bad English i am from poland

I'd say you learn this as you play. I'm playing for about 10 years now and never practiced this, but suddenly I could play along to songs by using just my hearing.

But I guess you could practice. Take a simple song and first try to figure out the roots of the chords (just try some notes on your lower strings until it sounds right). Then check to see whether the chords are major/minor. Once you know the chords and want to figure our guitar melodies etc. it's just a matter of using the right scales, I guess.
get some guys to jam with that play guitar or bass. thisll just get you used to playing along with stuff and trying to mimic the notes that the other guys are putting out. (a drummer wouldnt be a bad idea either).
The best way to start ear training, is, in my opinion (and the way I learned) Is to just sit and listen to the vocal melodies of top 40 pop songs, and work them out note for note. They are big, and mostly simple hooks so they tend to be easy to figure out.
A good way to practice this is to try and sing what you want to play, then find the notes one by one.

Putting on the radio and trying to figure out songs as they come on can be fun too!
Use the program "transcribe!"

Its software that can slow songs down without altering the pitch, so you can look for the notes.

Thats how i do it, transcribing metal songs and stuff, I never use tabs anymore.

Also: recording chords and then guessing them helps with aural training.
+1 to all of you guys.

I would like to had 2 things, Earmaster pro is a great software to develop your ear, I bought it a few months ago and it helped a lot, even if don't use it a lot.

Second, play a major scale for exemple and sing the notes, as you get better then try a minor scale or a diminished/augmented triad. Recording yourself while you sing a scale and play it with your guitar then listen to it to see where are your mistakes is good too.

I hope it helped
troy stetina fretboard mastery
Gears:
Ibanez RG2550Z GK
Marshall TSL 122 Combo
Digitech GNX4
Boss DS2
Roland MicroCube
Quote by Spreadsheet
Play in the dark.

This as well as playing without looking at the fretboard, helps to remember where notes are and what the sound is they make, which can also help improvise

I'm pretty terrible at playing by ear but I've only been playing 2 years now, I normally learn 3/4 of the song with tabs and the rest just by ear,

As well as listening to music on the train and trying to figure out in my head how to play it when I get home etc
If you play 10,000 hours practicing all scales (diatonics/harmonic minors/weird scales/arpeggios/pentatonics/everything...), eventually you just know what everything sounds like and can pick out what scale is where and such.
It's spelled wiener.