I am buying my first electric guitar and i have come down to these two,
The ibanez rgr321ex and the Yamaha pacifica 112v.
I play classic rock, blues and hard rock and metal too.
So i want a guitar with good cleans + good high gain sound.
Please help me with these two.
Teh epic.

Gear:
-Yamaha Pacifica 112V
-Roland Cube 40XL
Last edited by darkjacket at Jun 13, 2011,
Either will work just fine, tho I believe you're paying more for the RG due to Ibanez's name on the headstock.

At the entry level, guitars really don't have that significant a difference.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Either will work just fine, tho I believe you're paying more for the RG due to Ibanez's name on the headstock.

At the entry level, guitars really don't have that significant a difference.

What about their pickups?
Pacifica has HSS alnico pickups 5 way toggle and RGR has 2 passive infinity humbuckers but with 5 way switch.
How much will both affect the sound?
Teh epic.

Gear:
-Yamaha Pacifica 112V
-Roland Cube 40XL
They'll sound marginally different, but not by much. Then again, it would strongly depend on what amp you're using too.

In terms of pickups, the Pacifica pups are rather average, not bad but nothing special either. The Ibanez will sound somewhat muddy and lacking in definition.

At this juncture.. just but what you want and what you feel comfortable with. Neither one is significantly better than the other. However, I generally find Pacificas in that price range to be better value for money.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
They'll sound marginally different, but not by much. Then again, it would strongly depend on what amp you're using too.

In terms of pickups, the Pacifica pups are rather average, not bad but nothing special either. The Ibanez will sound somewhat muddy and lacking in definition.

At this juncture.. just but what you want and what you feel comfortable with. Neither one is significantly better than the other. However, I generally find Pacificas in that price range to be better value for money.

Any other guitar you would recommend in this range??
Teh epic.

Gear:
-Yamaha Pacifica 112V
-Roland Cube 40XL
Nope, I always stand by the Yamaha Pacifica for beginners - especially those with a wide range of music they want to play. Versatile and good value for money.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
While I've always had a soft spot for Ibanez, rk is correct that you won't go wrong with the Yamaha.

And keep in mind that in terms of fit, finish and quality of electronics, many of today's 'entry level' guitars are actually superior to the 'name brands' of yesteryear...
Quote by Arby911
While I've always had a soft spot for Ibanez, rk is correct that you won't go wrong with the Yamaha.

Quote by Arby911
And keep in mind that in terms of fit, finish and quality of electronics, many of today's 'entry level' guitars are actually superior to the 'name brands' of yesteryear...

Yeah that is true. What you have for entry level is quite a bit better than what we had for entry level a decade a ago (damn i feel old).

Ibanez pups stick suck plenty of monkey balls tho IMO. Their stock pups have not improved any since 10 years ago.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
The Pacifica is a higher quality instrument in my opinion and would suit a wide variety of styles. I have two and still use them regularly.
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2004
Fender Telecaster Custom 72RI 2009
PEDALZ
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
Quote by ragingkitty

Yeah that is true. What you have for entry level is quite a bit better than what we had for entry level a decade a ago (damn i feel old).

Ibanez pups stick suck plenty of monkey balls tho IMO. Their stock pups have not improved any since 10 years ago.

Thanks, i had also bent towards pacifica before, but it is hardly available in my country.. the 112V model.
That's why i considered an alternate.
Now i will hunt for it even more.
Amp i would be buying roland cube 40xl..
nice combo, is it?
Teh epic.

Gear:
-Yamaha Pacifica 112V
-Roland Cube 40XL
The guitar and amps are generally good choices for beginners.

However, if you're playing rock and metal, you might also want to consider the Peavey Vypyr and the Vox VT.

Vypyr if you play a lot more heavy rock and metal.

VT if you play more classic rock and blues.

Yamaha is quite an easily available brand... where are you?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
India.
The specific model is hardly available.
Most dealers say they will order it.
They give high prices too.
So it is hard to find it.
Teh epic.

Gear:
-Yamaha Pacifica 112V
-Roland Cube 40XL
yep, hard to go wrong with the higher wattage roland cubes, if you play a fair amount of heavier stuff. as kitty says, the vox would be better if you play lower gain stuff, like classic rock. I haven't tried the vypyr, but it's meant to be pretty good too.

hard to go wrong with the pacifica 112v too, but if it's very expensive where you are... i'm not really sure what to advise, because if everything's expensive where you are, there's not much you can do
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yep, hard to go wrong with the higher wattage roland cubes, if you play a fair amount of heavier stuff. as kitty says, the vox would be better if you play lower gain stuff, like classic rock. I haven't tried the vypyr, but it's meant to be pretty good too.

hard to go wrong with the pacifica 112v too, but if it's very expensive where you are... i'm not really sure what to advise, because if everything's expensive where you are, there's not much you can do

I got a deal earlier for the amp + guitar , it was good but the guitar was available in YNS(Yellow Natural Sunburst).
So i told him for other colors, but he said there is a shortage of the model so it will take freaking 3 months for another color.
I am now searching it in different places. Hopefully i'll get it.
Teh epic.

Gear:
-Yamaha Pacifica 112V
-Roland Cube 40XL
Slightly biased but Ibanez. Quality guitar for beginner and intermediate players (when you do a pickup swap)
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

"There are times in your life when you have to ask yourself the question "What would Charlie Sheen do?""

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by sstony
Ibanez is a much better guitar.

While I respect your right to believe that, I'm wondering what you're basing it on?
Quote by Arby911
While I respect your right to believe that, I'm wondering what you're basing it on?

By actually testing them side by side, I do QC for Ibanez & PRS and I´ve had one of those yamaha´s which someone wanted me to change the pickups in it, I personally think its garbage.
Quote by sstony
By actually testing them side by side, I do QC for Ibanez & PRS and I´ve had one of those yamaha´s which someone wanted me to change the pickups in it, I personally think its garbage.

I'm thinking you might have a wee bit of financially induced bias...

But hey, whatever floats your boat.

(Odd though that several people here without the aforementioned bias find the Yamaha's a competent instrument, don't you think?)
Last edited by Arby911 at Jun 13, 2011,
While I would be the first person here to tell you to go Ibanez (check my sig for proof ), I can't say I'd tell you to do that in this case. All beginner model/cheap starter guitars are generally similar quality wise. That said, the Pacifica is going to be better overall. Not saying the Ibanez is crap, but the cheaper Yamaha's that I've dealt with are better overall than the cheaper Ibanez guitars.

That said, if you personally like the neck, body, or playability of the Ibanez better, don't get the Yamaha just because the quality is marginally better. At this price range, you're better off getting whatever feels better to you than worrying about how long it's going to last because, quite frankly, if you have a beginner guitar long enough to see it fall apart and fail, you've either decided guitar isn't really your thing, or your just not to interested in it anyway, which is why beginner guitars are great for people not sure whether they want to continue or expand their skills with one; no real money lost.

So final verdict, go the Yamaha... but ONLY IF it's because it's more comfortable for you, not because it may be built better. At this price range, I would worry about that most because there's nothing worse for the will to learn as a beginner than an uncomfortable guitar!
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Quote by darkjacket
I got a deal earlier for the amp + guitar , it was good but the guitar was available in YNS(Yellow Natural Sunburst).
So i told him for other colors, but he said there is a shortage of the model so it will take freaking 3 months for another color.
I am now searching it in different places. Hopefully i'll get it.

ah ok

yeah but i mean if you're saving a ton, unless you hate the colour, might make sense to go for it...

Quote by Krauser

That said, if you personally like the neck, body, or playability of the Ibanez better, don't get the Yamaha just because the quality is marginally better. At this price range, you're better off getting whatever feels better to you than worrying about how long it's going to last because, quite frankly, if you have a beginner guitar long enough to see it fall apart and fail, you've either decided guitar isn't really your thing, or your just not to interested in it anyway, which is why beginner guitars are great for people not sure whether they want to continue or expand their skills with one; no real money lost.

So final verdict, go the Yamaha... but ONLY IF it's because it's more comfortable for you, not because it may be built better. At this price range, I would worry about that most because there's nothing worse for the will to learn as a beginner than an uncomfortable guitar!

excellent point
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ good point. I just assumed it had the edge III but i see it's a fixed bridge model.

I haven't tried it... i remember not being super-impressed by the old rg321, but at the same time it's not like the pacifica 112v blew me away either, it's "good for the money" rather than "zOMG awesome!".

Up to the ts, really.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Can you try the Ibanez??? If not then it sucks because there are always people that love RG necks and those that hate them. I would recommend the RG if you change the pickups but if you don't want to then go with the Yamaha.

At least you wont be paying an extra $10/$20 for the Ibanez logo on the headstock
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Yep i tried the ibanez but no luck with yamaha!
It's not in stock.
I will be going today to check out the Yamaha too cause i want it badly.
Hopefully will compare between the two today!
Teh epic.

Gear:
-Yamaha Pacifica 112V
-Roland Cube 40XL
Quote by sstony

I think your opinion is very strongly biased, I mean after all you would want people to acknowledge your good work.

Plus, you probably've tried a few thousand Ibanez, but you're basing your opinion on 1 Yamaha... that's really statistically unsound.

Nonetheless, I won't question your opinion of Yamaha's vs Ibanez's quality, but rather your sources to justify your belief.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jun 14, 2011,
Got the Pacifica 112v and roland cube 40XL Thank you all guys!
Teh epic.

Gear:
-Yamaha Pacifica 112V
-Roland Cube 40XL
good choice
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?