hey dudes, ive been playing guitar for a couple of years and i really really want to sit down and learn alot of guitar theory i.e scales, modes, chords etc. Can any of you reccomend any good books that will help with this? Could any of you link me to any specific ones, thatd be great
p.s i predominantly play metal and alot of lead, so hopefully the books will help with this. thanks
True that no book couldn't match a decent teacher. But it's cheaper though :p
I learned chords and stuff mostly by myself. I followed percussion and for questions I could always ask my teacher though he didn't learn me much about chords.
Maybe you could try yourself and for any question you could always post it here on the forum
I don't know what you already know about music and what you really want to know, but musictheory.net is always a good start! (and even cheaper than a book )
Quote by Didii
True that no book couldn't match a decent teacher. But it's cheaper though :p
I learned chords and stuff mostly by myself. I followed percussion and for questions I could always ask my teacher though he didn't learn me much about chords.
Maybe you could try yourself and for any question you could always post it here on the forum
I don't know what you already know about music and what you really want to know, but musictheory.net is always a good start! (and even cheaper than a book )

It's only cheaper if you learn and have the desired outcome Otherwise it's not worth anything. In fact it's an expensive thing because you paid and you're right where you started, or more confused, frustrated, and seeing marginal at best progress. I could take a cab that needs to go 100 blocks and pay one price of 10.00 and get somewhere, or I could take 5 cars and pay 25 cents a block.

Because I'm paying 25 cents a block it could have the illusion of seeming the better deal. It may not be, because cumulatively and in terms of time and convenience it proves to be the most expensive and frustrating. This is how books work. I have bought so many books that end up on a shelf unused and just more "stuff". If the book works, it's worth it, if it doesn't it's worth nothing.

I second the advice on musictheory.net though. If you can learn from there you might not need a book. Also, check out Mike Dodge and his website.

Best,

Sean
ahh thanks a ton guys, are there any other possible sites that can help? Also there arent any decent guitar teachers in my area, so are there sites that have prerecorded lessons?