Ok, so I did search this first but none of the threads quite answered my question.

-- If I have a cab with 2 inputs and I have 2 amp heads, could I plug them both into the same cabinet, and use a line selector or some equivalent and switch between which amp is receiving my guitar signal?

I know Radial makes the headbone pedal for switching between amp heads, but I thought that was for cabs with one input?

Do I only need a dummy load if I'm switching the chain such that the head isn't actually reaching the cab?
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
Surely it would be easier and safer just to get a AB Y box between amp and cab and use that rather than experimenting with a costly cab?
I have no experience, just using logic so please don't shout
Fender Custom Shop Designed 50's Classic Player Strat
Orange Micro Terror
Quote by Quinlan
Do I only need a dummy load if I'm switching the chain such that the head isn't actually reaching the cab?

Yes you will need a dummy load for the amp that's not in operation.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Already own said cab. My thought was that both amps would being using the same cab as a load, but only one would produce sound at a time based on the input signal from the ab box. (therefore no extra "dummy" load) Even if I put the aby box between the heads and the amp, I'd still need a dummy load, right?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
if it is a stereo cab, you should be able to plug each head into each 'side' of the cab as long as the impedance matches up [and each 'side' has an appropriate power handling rating] . Then ABY pedal upfront or whatever.

right kitty?

that's dead on, if it's a stereo cab... i am not sure it is though.

Surely it would be easier and safer just to get a AB Y box between amp and cab and use that rather than experimenting with a costly cab?
I have no experience, just using logic so please don't shout

no shouting, but you don't wanna do that because of the below quote

Even if I put the aby box between the heads and the amp, I'd still need a dummy load, right?

yes, you will still need a dummy load, and that is what the headbone provides, a dummy load for the 'inactive amp'.

-- If I have a cab with 2 inputs and I have 2 amp heads, could I plug them both into the same cabinet, and use a line selector or some equivalent and switch between which amp is receiving my guitar signal?

those '2 inputs' are really just 2 jacks wired in parallel (if this is not a stereo cab, which it sounds like it isn't). the reason it has 2 jacks (if my assumption about it not being stereo is correct) is for 'daisy chaining' cabinets together. this would allow you to run another speaker cable out the other jack into another cab and allow you to run 2 cabs in parallel.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jun 13, 2011,
I think it may actually be a mono cab... Do monos still have 2 jacks on the back? Wold this be for chaining? It's an Avatar cab, and I didn't see any mention of stereo as a cab feature...

--EDIT: Wow, you beat my question by a few minutes...

--EDIT2: The bottom of their page says they're available in stereo... I just don't remember if I asked the guy to wire mine in stereo.
Last edited by Quinlan at Jun 14, 2011,
Bummer. Most stereo cabs will say it on the back, along with a switch for mono/stereo.