hey guys im fairly new to guitar n i can play killing in the name of fine except i cant figure out how to get that scratchy string effect on the verse part..

---------------3 4
---3 5 ((x x))----5

i cant quite figure out how to make the noise on the ((xx)) part, it just comes out as hormonic-like when i lay my fingers on the string. any comments appreciated
Last edited by orgazmotron87 at Jun 13, 2011,
Sounds like you have your finger on the wrong part of string. Some frets (like 1, 7, 12 and some others) produce natural harmonics when you hold your finger on them. Just hold on a different fret til you find a place that gives that good scratchy sound. Good luck!
You need to mute the strings. Press down on the string but do not fret << If that makes any sense. lol
or you could do a "palm mute" further away from the bridge, which also would sound muted. :P

Am gonna stop talking now......

To get a good muted note (cos that's what it is) the thing is to have your fretting fingers just in the right place: as central on the fret as possible. Just try it in different ways until you're satisfied with the sound - ALSO: there is actually a video lesson by Tom Morello himself for Killing in The Name and other RATM songs, look for that, it might be helpful

P.S.
Quote by orgazmotron87
i cant quite figure out how to make the noise on the ((xx)) part, it just comes out as hormonic-like when i lay my fingers on the string. any comments appreciated

Lol @ hormonic
Flatten your whole hand across the string/strings, the more fingers you've got laid across there, the less likely you are to get harmonics!
ah thanks alot for the comments they all helped alot i think i got it now i placed 4 fingers along and it killed the harmonics thanks guys
I used to mute strings with my fretting hand and also palm mute with my picking hand not to let the harmonics ring out.