hey guys, i just wanna know since i'm starting to use economy picking more often, what are the important/key things i gotta know about economy picking? can anyone summarise it for me?

and also i've been practicing scales with a metronome and it's like, i can't tell if i'm matching the beat. let's say i started at 145bpm, when i shift it up to 150bpm, either there's no difference in sense of difficulty,or i'm doing it wrong.

i think i'm doing it wrong but lemme know what you guys think anyway
Not sure if you're talking about alternate picking or economy picking, but with both it's important to have your arm, hand and wrist relaxed and have the motion come from the wrist, and not from the elbow as often happens. Try to keep the motion as minimal as possible and hold your pick so that only the very tip of it is exposed - I find that a hard pick with a sharp tip works best for this, I.E Dunlop Jazz III's.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Quote by onlyoneleft
hey guys, i just wanna know since i'm starting to use economy picking more often, what are the important/key things i gotta know about economy picking? can anyone summarise it for me?

and also i've been practicing scales with a metronome and it's like, i can't tell if i'm matching the beat. let's say i started at 145bpm, when i shift it up to 150bpm, either there's no difference in sense of difficulty,or i'm doing it wrong.

there isn't much to economy picking, no secret tricks

jump from 145 to 150 shoould be noticable, unles it's not a 5bpm jump but gradual 1-2bpm
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Quote by onlyoneleft

I'm gonna assume you know the difference between alternate picking and economy picking, so I won't get into that too much here.

Economy picking requires two things: a fantastic sense of timing and good muting technique. Here's a breakdown of "why" for both points:
-Timing:
With alternate picking, it's much easier to keep time. The eternally consistent "down-up" pattern helps to make each note even when you're playing very rapidly across multiple strings. The economy part of economy picking, the fluid movement between strings, messes some people up, since that pattern of "down-up" is broken. A good internal metronome (that is, your sense of timing and rhythm) is essential.

-Muting:
Again, that fluid movement between strings is the tough part. It's a mini-sweep, for all intents and purposes. Thus, you need to be able to mute the previous string while fretting cleanly on the next. It's not too terribly tough, but it is essential to keep unwanted noise out of the picture.

I recommend against practicing scales. There is no musical context, so you're really just getting set in running up a certain number of notes, then down a certain number of notes, which is where people get into "inside the box playing". I think a much more effective practice session requires you to get used to using a certain technique in a musical context.

What I find more useful than a metronome are programs like GuitarPro and TuxGuitar, which let you play along to the tab instead of just a simple metronome. You can adjust the tempo to whatever you want and play along to it, which I find to be invaluable in learning everything from simple scalar passages to weird string-skipping wank fests.

The difference between 145 and 150 bpm, although not negligible, is not particularly great. That amounts to 1/3 of a note per second difference between the two. If you're playing comfortably at both tempos, you're fine. That said, get a program like TuxGuitar (which is free to download) and play along to a similar passage at that tempo to make sure you're really on the beat, not just imagining things.
oh okay but the reason why i'm practicing scales using economy picking is because i wanna use these little fast runs that links to a slow melody or something like that.

and Geladin about the tuxguitar, do i use it if i wanna learn songs? or can i use it for something else other than learning songs.and also mind expanding on the 'how' part for both points you mentioned? (the timing and muting)

thanks alot man
TuxGuitar is a tab editor program. It can open GuitarPro, Powertab, and TuxGuitar files. You can use it to create tabs, write songs, transpose, whatever. It's a very versatile program. The best feature is that you can open up a song, isolate a certain passage, and practice it at virtually any speed you want.

Now, on the technique of economy picking, I won't go too in depth because there are a number of good lessons on this site that can say stuff better than I can. Suffice to say, on timing, a lot of people rely on the "down-up-down-up" pattern inherent to alternate picking to keep time in faster passages. It feels right after you get used to that. Adding the economic motion of economy picking interrupts that down-up-down-up pattern and can throw you off if you're not used to it.

The muting is similar to what you would find in sweeping, although to a lesser extent. You have to mute the string you were on when making changes between strings and making sure that you're fretting the new one cleanly. Really, it isn't too far removed from alternate picking, but I've seen and written some passages that call for more extended economy picking, in which you see a lot of alternate picking mixed with sweeping.

Here are two lessons which provide a good start, though they both are loaded with opinions. Just focus on the technical aspect and ignore their erroneous opinion that there is a real difference in how fast it is possible to alternate pick vs economy picking.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/all_the_aspects_of_picking_part1.html
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/economy_picking.html
are you doing quarter notes eighth notes or sixteenth notes on the metronome? If you really want to drill eco picking then set your metronome to 100bpm on eighth notes and practice accurately and slowly. If ou practice for an hour and a half a day you will see results....or to go even further look at the 21 day challenge stickied thread.

I'm also learning eco well i've learnt it im now looking to master it. I did the 21 day challenge and i can play stuff i wasn't able to do before. Highly suggest you take part.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
Alright cool I'll check it out. It's just that I lack the time to practice and i wanna work on technique.

Hey Geladin thanks i'll give those 2 lessons a try.

Oh and does learning song build your technique up? I don't know if it will.
yeah if you practice accurately and fast and not buzz through song and take time to learn it right. it will also help with theory, try to identify whats ACTUALLY happening in the song. scales, chords etc...
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100