So in August I'm moving across the state of Florida to Tampa to go to college. It's my first time living in a place other than the house I live in now with my parents, and I'm pretty excited about it, especially since the metal scene in Tampa is supposedly top-notch.

However, I have no idea what it feels like to move or live on my own. I've lived in the same house all my life, and my parents have never left me at the house alone for more than a day, but I do some of the shopping for the household (groceries and stuff). Is there anything I should be aware of before I move so this doesn't hit me like a ton of bricks?

What were your experiences with moving away from your parent's home into your own?
Be able to check yourself on your freedoms. It's really easy to drop important shit for fun shit. Also, try to eat in more, it'll save you money.
Get absolutely baked/drunk/**** a girl KNOWING that your parents won't come home.

That must be a goddamn beautiful feeling.
The playground of the world
Quote by blake1221
Be able to check yourself on your freedoms. It's really easy to drop important shit for fun shit. Also, try to eat in more, it'll save you money.

Blake just gave you the best advice you're going to get in this thread. You should just close it now.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by blake1221

This.
Your roommates are not your parents and will not pick up after you. You are messier than you think, so get used to cleaning your house.

Your toilet/bathtub and entire bathroom has to be cleaned, otherwise it gets gross.

Be firm and stern with your landlord, or nothing will ever get done.

Groceries are expensive.

Other than that, have fun Living on your own is a breath of fresh air.
my job rules. ROCKWORLDEAST

Quote by GisleAune
She is new to the internet, it seems, because there's nothing between extreme love and furious hate here, sadly.
Learn to cook. Like actually cook, living out of a microwave is horrible trust me
Quote by Thrill-house
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.

Quote by Dopemgs

P.S: You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome

Quote by PsiGuy60
PS. To Conor:
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.
[/desperateattempttogetsigged]
Yeah blake and rotten days are right. I have a house, and it's nice, but I liked it better when I only had to keep my room clean
It's amazing. Weird for the first few nights, but then you get used to it. I had a roomie last year which wasn't too bad.

You should:
- buy groceries you know you'll use (as to not waste stuff)
-clean your room (my friends tended to gravitate toward the room that was the cleanest/coolest)
-get two alarm clocks
-call your parents a few times a week
-not worry about it. Like I said above, you'll figure things out as they come along. Just don't go crazy.
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
Quote by Conor360
Learn to cook. Like actually cook, living out of a microwave is horrible trust me

1,000% this. Getting rid of my microwave was the best thing I ever did, health wise. That shit'll kill you.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Please, please, PLEASE live in a tent in the local park, dressed like a yeti, and harass people just for the lulz
But on a serious note, I'm well bellow 18 so you can imagine that I have little to no experience with moving out I guess my advice would be 'don't throw money away for shit you don't need'.
Best of luck to you.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
I'm still living with my parents (should hopefully be moving out in the next few months, all being well), but I have moved house before. I find it stressful as hell. Check, double check and triple all your plans for your move, and do the same to make sure you have everything before you leave your current house.

Quote by strat0blaster
1,000% this. Getting rid of my microwave was the best thing I ever did, health wise. That shit'll kill you.

I wouldn't quite go this far. You clearly have never microwaved yourself a spaghetti sauce sandwich at two in the morning. That shit is delicious.
Feel free to not answer this question but USF or UT, just curious. Living on your own is fantastic. You realize how great it is once you go home for awhile. If you have roommates it's weird for the first couple of days, especially if you don't know them. You gradually adjust and more or less get into a routine of how things work.
Learn to budget. In other words, tell yourself how much money you have at the beginning of each month/week/time period. Then, plan to spend $100 on groceries, $15 on cleaning supplies, etc. That way, you don't end up having to beg friends for money or running up a credit card.
And, btw, DO NOT GET A CREDIT CARD. Credit cards should only be used for emergencies. If you get one, don't use it. Buying useless shit just cuz you have credit on your card is never a good idea. My sister's already run up 2 cards, and she's in money troubles...
This one may need to go unspoken, but with some of the people I know, it wouldn't be too surprising.

If there's any household tasks or chores you don't know how to do. Get practicing while you can.

I'm moving out in August too! Only I'll still be living in the same building, and I won't be going to college.
Just remember workin' too hard can give you a heart atackackackackackack.
fear is the mindkiller

CANUCKS
I'm just coming to the end of my first year at uni and It's been the best year of my life so far.

What the other guys have said about cleaning up and making sure you know how to cook proper food is really good advice.

I'd also say if there is ANYTHING that you've ever wanted to try/learn/do. Do it. Get into it at the start and you'll find yourself doing everything you love, meeting people who share your interests and having a blast.

Oh and don't spend £2000 on strippers in one night like my house mate did.
When you first move out in those circumstances you may feel as homesick as hell. I did on my first day of moving out and I spent most of 2005 onwards at my dads house all alone. It'll pass, and when it does, it's far better than living with your parents. Just make sure you get your priorities right, I didn't when I first moved out and it cost me. Get out and get wasted to begin with, not only will it help get it out of your system a bit but it'll also help you get to grips with the local lifestyle and such because you'll be meeting people in the same predicament as you. Once you feel more comfortable put more emphasis on your work, but still find some time to enjoy yourself! Best of luck.
Oh flange.
Quote by Gnomethrower

Oh and don't spend £2000 on strippers in one night like my house mate did.

Holy shit... even if you meant house mateS that's a shitload of money to spend on strippers. And if it was just one guy, then just... damn.
Quote by Highway60Bob
i've always been looking for a good excuse to **** my mom.
Be very careful who you chose as room mates/house mates. My house mate does nothing but smoke weed all day and never gets a damn thing done. Leaves a ****ing mess everywhere, never keeps track of what bill is due when, and is just a lazy piece of poo.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
no just one guy, we're not entirely sure what happened in that room but the closest he'd tell us was that he had 6 strippers lesing (Lezing?) it off in front of him and bringing him drinks all night.

If I hadn't have seen the receipts from his card transactions I would not have believed it.
If you smoke weed, buy a bong. It's a necessity for any stoners coffee table. Always make sure you have enough money for your bills. One big thing for me anyways is remembering to check my mail, it doesn't seem like anything at first until your cell phone gets turned off because you haven't checked your mail and therefore not paid your bill. What everyone says about learning to cook is definitely smart, too. Ramen and Pizza Pops can only get you so far. Living on your own is awesome once you get used to it, good luck TS!
For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "if I live I will kill you."
"If I die, you are forgiven."
Such is the rule of honour.
I've never lived away from home but my friend who does says it's pretty shit sharing with people, and he felt really old buying groceries. But that's just him.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void