TV Shows should divert from a book's stories, or at least it should be tried.

Like I just thought it'd be cool to have a TV show tell a story just as great, but go in a totally different direction to keep it new for readers too. Like for Game of Thrones:

Spoiler!!!!!

Okay, so last night in Game of Thrones, we saw Ned executed. What if they had let him live. Some knee jerk reactions may be to outrage, but you'd be feeling what nonreaders felt last night. You'd suddenly be as wrapped up in the story as when it was new again. You'd lose that smug look because, suddenly you're not so sure of what will happen next anymore.

Unspoil:

Or the Dark Tower has a unique opportunity to make the story new. For readers, how would you feel, if in that very first shot of the movie, you see him blow the Horn of Eld after the Man in Black, sending a shiver down the old wizard's spine. To me that'd be just as memorable of a beginning as "The Man in Black fled across the desert and the Gunslinger followed."

What do you guys think?
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by tayroar
Or the Dark Tower has a unique opportunity to make the story new. For readers, how would you feel, if in that very first shot of the movie, you see him blow the Horn of Eld after the Man in Black, sending a shiver down the old wizard's spine. To me that'd be just as memorable of a beginning as "The Man in Black fled across the desert and the Gunslinger followed."

SPOILER:

Dude, unless you intend to start the TV series/movie at the end, you SHOULD NOT do that, for it is a very important thing in the last few chapters that he gets the horn after visiting the Tower and it would ruin the end of the show aswell.

But they should totally make the Dark Tower NAW!
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
Quote by Tim the Rocker
SPOILER:

Dude, unless you intend to start the TV series/movie at the end, you SHOULD NOT do that, for it is a very important thing in the last few chapters that he gets the horn after visiting the Tower and it would ruin the end of the show aswell.

But they should totally make the Dark Tower NAW!

They're making it, and you're missing what I'm saying. If they started it with the horn then it'd be like a sequal, but the only people who know it are those who read the book. It'd encourage nonreaders to pick up the book, but they won't have to since the show would be pretty close to the book, but allow differences and still make sense, and with the added bonus of changing the ending.
Then what's the point in basing a series on a book?

You change the event, you have to change people's relationships, the characters evolve in different ways and then you end up with a completely different story and you've alienated a section of your fanbase whilst giving non-readers nothing new.

Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
Then what's the point in basing a series on a book?

You change the event, you have to change people's relationships, the characters evolve in different ways and then you end up with a completely different story and you've alienated a section of your fanbase whilst giving non-readers nothing new.

I don't know you'd keep it as a what if. Like just a huge part, like a major turning point is where you make the change, you try to follow it before that.
Well yeah, you COULD make a new story, but that would mean creating everything form scratch borrowing from the old one. Ergo, it would be quite shit in my opinion. I much rather series based 100% on books than any changes.

And damn me living in Spain, I never get information... so late 2012???
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
Quote by tayroar
I don't know you'd keep it as a what if. Like just a huge part, like a major turning point is where you make the change, you try to follow it before that.

but all events after that have to be altered, characters that weren't there to save the day could do so later on, characters that play a small part in setting up a later event wouldn't be there to have that effect.

Those events serve as a motivation for other characters to do subsequent actions, relationships would change, attitudes would change and you end up with another story, which undermines the whole point of basing a TV show on a book. You end up with a vaguely similar story that pisses off a portion of people who watch the show because they like the book.

You could have a vaguely similar story without basing it on a book (or at least without claiming to be based on the work) not to mention changing the story in such a way is unlikely to get the author's ok.

I just can't see the point in it.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Letting Ned live would have thrown everything else off kilter.

That was really sad. Even knowing it was coming, and even after being annoyed at how stupidly he was acting, the scene still gave me a queasy feeling. Poor Arya.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
but all events after that have to be altered, characters that weren't there to save the day could do so later on, characters that play a small part in setting up a later event wouldn't be there to have that effect.

Those events serve as a motivation for other characters to do subsequent actions, relationships would change, attitudes would change and you end up with another story, which undermines the whole point of basing a TV show on a book. You end up with a vaguely similar story that pisses off a portion of people who watch the show because they like the book.

You could have a vaguely similar story without basing it on a book (or at least without claiming to be based on the work) not to mention changing the story in such a way is unlikely to get the author's ok.

I just can't see the point in it.

Maybe only I would love it, like if every different medium you tell it on treat it like an alternate reality of that world.

edit: I know it'd throw everything else off kilter, I understand that, that's the point.
Last edited by tayroar at Jun 13, 2011,
Quote by Tim the Rocker
Well yeah, you COULD make a new story, but that would mean creating everything form scratch borrowing from the old one. Ergo, it would be quite shit in my opinion. I much rather series based 100% on books than any changes.

And damn me living in Spain, I never get information... so late 2012???

That is the target release, if not then, then probably early 2013, the film industry is in a big slowdown right now, but I can't remember why.
Quote by trueamerican
I haven't seen the new episode yet, so thanks a ****load for ruining it for me

Well he did put a big spoiler warning in the op...

Sticking closely to the book is a good thing. I'm so pleased that HBO have been following ASOIAF as closely as they have. I was expecting to have a huge list of complaints about deviations.

People who like books enough to be excited about the adaptation want it to stick as close to the book as possible.

Like Lemon said, if you don't want to follow the story, then make a different show with a similar theme. Don't say you're adapting a book then completely disregard the storyline. Then you're just borrowing the characters' names.
Quote by trueamerican
I haven't seen the new episode yet, so thanks a ****load for ruining it for me

Yeah, that's why I said spoiler