Page 1 of 2
Hey im not really sure if this is the right forum but anyway.... I was curious to know, what thickness of picks do you guys use? I always play with .73 ultexs and read that like almost all of the people that pick fast use like 1-3 mm picks and was wondering whether that could have anything to do with me failing at unanchored alt picking? Yes? No?
I dont know the thickness, but I always use these purple picks with a grip on the top. They're pretty thin. They say that a thicker pick will aid your alternate picking. However, I don't think it makes a difference one way or the other. I always play with a thin pick, and I have trouble picking with as much accuracy or speed with a thick one. It's whatever your used to, and it's all personal preference.
Jim Dunlop USA Nylon 0.60mm. I haven't used anything different in 7 or 8 years.
Grammar Nazi.
.73 isn't super thin, I would think it would be okay... just keep practicing?... You can get a pack with assorted sizes and see if it helps though if you think it will help...
Purple Tortex 1.14mm all the way
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by The Baconator
Hey im not really sure if this is the right forum but anyway.... I was curious to know, what thickness of picks do you guys use? I always play with .73 ultexs and read that like almost all of the people that pick fast use like 1-3 mm picks and was wondering whether that could have anything to do with me failing at unanchored alt picking? Yes? No?

No, the type of pick you use is not related to how accurately you can play. Paul Gilbert uses a pick that's either the same as or pretty similar to what you do now.

For what it's worth though, I use a red Jazz III nowadays.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I started out on Brain .63s, then moved up to .88s, then finally to 1mms, which is what I stuck with until everyone here ran out of Brain picks. Now I use Dava Control picks, which are thinner in the middle and widen towards the tip(I'd say maybe about .70mm in the middle, 1mm or so at the tip?). I find they're easier to play with but they still give the tone of a thicker pick. String size can affect your ability to pick too, I actually find it a lot harder to gallop/chug on a guitar with .10s than my ML, which has .12-52s tuned a half step down. XD
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Dunlop Gator .96mm [the blue ones] for rhythm only.
Dunlop Nylon 1.00mm [the black ones] for rhythm and lead.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
I use the jazz sized Clayton spikes, 0.73. As has been said, no thickness is best for anything, you have to use the gauge that feels right for you
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
FYI Brian May (of Queen fame) plays with an old British Penny.
Grammar Nazi.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
No, the type of pick you use is not related to how accurately you can play. Paul Gilbert uses a pick that's either the same as or pretty similar to what you do now.

Paul Gilbert uses 1 mm, which is a lot thicker than .73s. Jazz III are 1.38, also much thicker than what i use. Although my alt picking does need work, I recently started trying to break myself of the habit of anchoring, and its killed my speed, and after noticing i used thin picks, thats why I asked.
Last edited by The Baconator at Jun 13, 2011,
Quote by The Baconator
Paul Gilbert uses 1 mm, which is a lot thicker than .73s. Jazz III are 1.38, also much thicker than what i use. Although my alt picking does need work, I recently started trying to break myself of the habit of anchoring, and its killed my speed, and after noticing i used thin picks, thats why I asked.

Gilbert usualy uses the red 0.50 or the yellow 0.73
Dunlop ultex sharp 1.14. I do think solid picks without give can help you alt pick faster
Rock on or die

Guitarist 5 years, Had purpose in life 5 years

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
Quote by nirvanagrunge13
Dunlop ultex sharp 1.14. I do think solid picks without give can help you alt pick faster

It will if that's what's most comfortable for you
Quote by The Baconator

http://www.paulgilbert.com/Guitars.html

Paul's own website, personally maintained by himself, picture is of a Dunlop Tortex .60. Your move.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by pigeonmafia
Gilbert usualy uses the red 0.50 or the yellow 0.73

Since when? I want a pic His signature picks are 1 mm
Quote by The Baconator
Since when? I want a pic His signature picks are 1 mm

See Zaphod_Beeblebr above.

He's always used that gauge from dunlop
It's mostly preference, but with thicker picks, you have more control, because the pick is stiff, and isn't changing shape as it hits the strings. You can feel the strings better, and have more control.
I use 1.5 mm tortex's. Loomis said he has a 2.0mm, I want one of those.

Really though it didn't change my technique at all or anything between the purple tortex or the 1mm. I just feel most comfortable with 1.5mm. Would like to try out 2.0 though if it exists just for the hell of it.
Dunlop Jazz III ftw. I do faster stuff, and I find that softer picks have less control/precision to them for this. They also wear much slower than the Dunlop 2.0mm stubby (purple translucent) picks I used to use.
Quote by theknuckster
Jim Dunlop 3mm Stubby

Same, I can't stand anything thinner since I tried it.
This is the part where you are supposed to be amazed by the awesomeness of my sig.
I use Fender Celluloid 358 Style Medium, my absolute favourite picks.

I think its .84mm
Last edited by Livingtime at Jun 13, 2011,
Jim Dunlop 0.60
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Quote by theknuckster
Jim Dunlop 3mm Stubby

I used to use the 3mm Big Stubby but wanted a smaller pick, I tried the smaller stubbies but they tend to slip in my grip too much. It's a shame because I did really like them other than the slippage issue.
I've been using the Black Jazz IIIs for a few years now, though I've recently switched to the Max-Grip version.

Essentially, thicker pick = more control because the pick won't give when it hits the strings. However, that's not going to be the reason you're having trouble picking unanchored, the reason is simply because you're not used to it yet.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
If I'm playing an acoustic, I use 0.73mm. For all of my electric playing though, it's either Dunlop Jazz III or Stubby 2.0mm.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Currently, a V-Pick Dimension junior. 4.10mm thick. It's not as hard to get used to as one would think.

But I've been through so many pick changes trying to find one that I liked, that I've forgotten most of them. D: But this V-Pick is something that I will forever keep and pretty much has ended my search for picks..
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?

Dunlop Gel picks. Not sure on their size.
Been using those bad boys for ages now.
Jazz III

Thicker/ sturdier picks dont bend when you alt. pick (unlike those crappy cort 0.76 picks)
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
1mm Tortex. I was using Jazz IIIs for a while, but found I actually perfer the options in picking style you get with a bigger pick, and also, they are easier to find in shops than Jazz IIIs
well i use Dunlop Jazz III for three years and i am quite fond of them

Gear
Schecter Jeff Loomis NT (7 string bad-ass)
Esp Ltd Deluxe MH-1000 FR
ENGL Screamer 50
Quote by Rangor6363
If you wanna learn how to play something, first you gotta listen it!

Last.fm
Quote by steven seagull
Purple Tortex 1.14mm all the way

Got about 15 of those, perfect for me. I also use 1.20 and 1.50 Staggs, and I have an Accept signature pick as well.
Page 1 of 2