Hi there,
I'm quite new in this forum so let me know if I did anything wrong.

I bought my electric guitar like 2 years ago and I was really happy with it. Now I am thinking about buying a new guitar because of the quality of the sound.

The guitar I bought was a Cort G200, my amp is a Roland Micro cube and I also have a Digitech RP255. Like I said, I am thinking about buying a new guitar.

What is your opinion? Should I get a new guitar and also a new amp? Or just the amp?
My favourite bands are Pink Floyd, Muse, Guns n' Roses,...

Many thanks
To be honest I would go with a new amp. The basic rule of thumb with guitars and amps is a great guitar, no matter how great, will always sound bad through a crappy amp, while a cheap guitar can sound really good through a really good amp. I also noticed my playing got a lot cleaner once I ditched my Line 6 practice amp a few years back for a good tube amp, I think this might be because tube amps have such more dynamic control with the sound. There are lots of good, low wattage tube amps on the market these days that are perfect for practice and bedroom play, my advice, go check some of them out, you might like what you find. Good luck!
My Guitars
Squire Affinity Strat
Ibanez RG 350 DX
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Ibanez AEG20E
Tradition Guitars S2000F Pro
Anything good around 200$ would be great, but I don't really know if thats too little money...
Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If you want a good low wattage tube practice amp check into Blackstar amps HT-5 series. That with a good tube screamer will set you off right, you could do an HT-5 and a TS-9 for around $500 new, not a bad deal. Those little Blackstar amps are pretty killer little amps, they aren't going to compare to a 100 watt Marshall but they are the next best thing on a budget. If you want you can PM me with details such as budget...etc and I'll see if I can't help you find something nice.
My Guitars
Squire Affinity Strat
Ibanez RG 350 DX
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Ibanez AEG20E
Quote by PatheticMedic
If you want a good low wattage tube practice amp check into Blackstar amps HT-5 series. That with a good tube screamer will set you off right, you could do an HT-5 and a TS-9 for around $500 new, not a bad deal. Those little Blackstar amps are pretty killer little amps, they aren't going to compare to a 100 watt Marshall but they are the next best thing on a budget. If you want you can PM me with details such as budget...etc and I'll see if I can't help you find something nice.

Actually, for 500, you can get a 100w Marshall.

http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/marshall-mg102fx-guitar-amp.html
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
You could also buy my friend's Marshall AVT150 half stack for $450.

150w Marshall + 4x12 cab = Much better than some 100w combo.

It also has one pre-amp tube, for insanely good tones.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Ferrets!
I think he meant a good 100 watt Marshall.

Hahahaha, those MG's are one of the biggest mistakes anyone could ever make.
Plus I think 100 watt is a little much for what it sounds like he will be using it for, which is bedroom practice and play? Correct?
My Guitars
Squire Affinity Strat
Ibanez RG 350 DX
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Ibanez AEG20E
Quote by PatheticMedic
Hahahaha, those MG's are one of the biggest mistakes anyone could ever make.
Plus I think 100 watt is a little much for what it sounds like he will be using it for, which is bedroom practice and play? Correct?

Yeah it is mostly for bedroom play... I really want to get in a band but I have a long way to go through. The Blackstar HT-5 seemed pretty nice But is it something you would recommend to someone who wants to play mostly Muse? With a budget around 300$?
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Budget - 300$
Genres - Mostly Progressive and Psychedelic rock, I really love Pink Floyd and Muse.
New or Used - Doesn't really matter, right? If it works fine it's the same I guess...
Home or Gig - Home
Closest city - There comes the hard part... I live in Porto, Portugal. We haven't got that many music stores that order good products (at least that I know about) with good prices. Most stores sell their products with prices that would make your chin hit the floor.
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Actually, for 500, you can get a 100w Marshall.

http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/marshall-mg102fx-guitar-amp.html

This quite possibly ranks among the worst advice on UG. The MG sucks monkey balls in terms of what you get for the price you pay.

Buying that is like getting boned by 50 Marshall Execs over a filthy toilet, then having the video and photos being sent to your family, your girlfriend, her family, your grandparents and their dog.

No wait, I think buying an MG is far worse than that.

At a budget of $300... I'm thinking that the best you can reach is an HT-5 combo... and even than you'll still need to save some more money.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by PatheticMedic
To be honest I would go with a new amp. The basic rule of thumb with guitars and amps is a great guitar, no matter how great, will always sound bad through a crappy amp, while a cheap guitar can sound really good through a really good amp. I also noticed my playing got a lot cleaner once I ditched my Line 6 practice amp a few years back for a good tube amp, I think this might be because tube amps have such more dynamic control with the sound. There are lots of good, low wattage tube amps on the market these days that are perfect for practice and bedroom play, my advice, go check some of them out, you might like what you find. Good luck!

+1

An amp will make a bigger difference in sound than the guitar.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by bernadias
Yeah it is mostly for bedroom play... I really want to get in a band but I have a long way to go through. The Blackstar HT-5 seemed pretty nice But is it something you would recommend to someone who wants to play mostly Muse? With a budget around 300$?

Well with the budget you are on it's probably the best you will do. I would recommend a decent Vox amp and a tube screamer over the HT-5 for what your style is, but those are way more expensive.
My Guitars
Squire Affinity Strat
Ibanez RG 350 DX
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Ibanez AEG20E