I thought it would be cool if UG had an ongoing thread dedicated to home studio DIY projects. People can be inspired by posts in this thread to use their creativity and create something themselves. I'll start.

I'm going to college in August, and really wanted some monitors that I could bring with me...not too expensive..but good. I settled on the KRK RP5G2s. As most people with monitors would know, it is nice to isolate your monitors. A product that does this is the Auralex mopad. Also known as those $40 pieces of foam. Sure, they might be better than whatever someone could build...but hey, i figured i'd save the 40 dollars for some meals in college instead. So I decided to make something myself.

I once read that somebody used the packaging that the monitors came in to isolate the monitors from a desk.

I have 8 of those and the monitors stand perfectly on them. I then decided to go to Michael's to get some really cheap pieces of foam.

As you can see, I measured the dimensions of the inside of the foam packaging pieces and marked out rectangles on the pieces of foam.

Then I cut the pieces out. Heres what they look like

The pieces fit into the packaging perfectly. I cut out 7 pieces per monitor. That way, I can angle the monitors anyway I want by simply changing the number of pieces under the front or back of the monitor. As of now, I have 6 on the front side, and 1 on the back side. This is the final product

Now show your projects!
Last edited by 4seampowerchord at Jun 13, 2011,
Well, idk if you'd exactly call this DIY but I'm in the process of building a Hackintosh (Basically, a PC running Mac OSX). Yes, there is a way to trick OSX into installing on a PC, you've just gotta build it right.

Why (especially since those of you who know me know I'm anti-Mac)? Well, my Mbox 2 went out (RIP, actually no, you're getting a hammer to the face). My guitar player said he'd buy me the upgrade to Pro Tools 9 (which is $250) and let me use his Mackie Onyx board (16 channel Firewire board) if I switched over to Mac. He didn't go into specifics so the second I roll into Band Practice with it, he'd see OSX and cough up the upgrade.

Heres where I'm at. It runs but its unstable. The only thing wrong with it is that it needs a different Mobo. I've looked in town and I can get one for $75 with a $20 mail in rebate making it $55. Not bad for a $250 upgrade. I'll keep you guys updated. Gonna get the parts when I get paid Friday
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
After hearing so much about a TubeScreamer in front of any amp instantly tightening up the low end (from everyone, including lecturers) I decided to try so myself, but rather than buy one of the insanely-overpriced shelf models, I bought a DIY kit for a TS clone, that also came with additional components for many different mods, and the enclosure etc.

I haven't built it yet, so far I've just settled on the mods I will do in place of parts of the kit, and soldered the IC socket to the board (rather worse than I remembered my soldering would allow, I must admit, so I only pray I haven't damaged one of the contacts/wires running just below the surface of the PCB going near to the socket!) and sorted through all the parts so they're organised and ready to be soldered. When it's done I'll report back here and may even get to record audio samples with and without it engaged in a signal chain etc. when tracking for my band's new album.

Anyway, thought it might inspire people to mention/consider studio gear builds (ok, a guitar pedal isn't the same as a compressor/preamp but it's a start). Although I think now we're bordering on the GG&A forum's function?

Interesting idea with the monitors by the way... I kept my foam from my KRK's for ages in case I needed to transport them, but have chucked it now. I use some thicker and denser foam, though it wouldn't matter so much I think as I have my monitors on stands that are partially-decoupled from the floor anyway.

And I know nothing about running OS X from a PC, so can't help at all lockwolf but good luck to you - someone at uni did that for a year and a half-ish, before (I think) buying a Macbook.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Jun 13, 2011,
I'm currently fixing an old Traynor mixer from 1984. It wouldn't be so hard if someone didn't go and do some home mods on it in '93...
The mixer is in terrible condition. Lots of broken pots, half the knobs missing and the knobs that I do have are mis-matched...
It also looks like someone let a five year old go at the insides... There's about six cables pulled out. Problem is, the PCB isn't labeled. Luckily it's still got the schematic.

Right now as we speak I'm trying to program the drums for Bloodlust by Venom. Very hard as I have to match it to a live concert which as far as I know is the only recording of Bloodlust.
I'm going to tab everything later as there is no tab for it in existance... Damnit Cronos! Release a tab book!
..I was watching my death.
Interesting idea with the monitors by the way... I kept my foam from my KRK's for ages in case I needed to transport them, but have chucked it now. I use some thicker and denser foam, though it wouldn't matter so much I think as I have my monitors on stands that are partially-decoupled from the floor anyway.

--------------------

Ping G15 Hybrid
TaylorMade R9 Irons
Callaway FT i-Brid Irons
Quote by outman007

--------------------

Ping G15 Hybrid
TaylorMade R9 Irons
Callaway FT i-Brid Irons

Spambot; don't click the links people, it only fuels their use! Oh, and don't copy and paste things I say to hide your spam, Mr. Spambot!

*reported*
Hey, look. Sigs are back.