Hello! I recenltly bought a 7-string metal guitar, and suddenly I began listening to blues and jazz. I need a second guitar now. I want it to be hollow body. I'm interested in Gibson Custom Citation, but 68 times cheaper.. Any advice is appreciated
Misha

Music Man Axis Super Sport
Diezel Einstein 100, Sparrow's Sons 2X12
My only suggestion right now is an Ibanez Artcore. I'm loving my AF75TDG I bought, those are around $530 (USD), though I'd also really recommend getting one from a store where you can try it first. I tried one at Guitar Center...junk. Didn't buy even though it was on sale at $380. But that could also be a GC issue with returns being resold. Tried another one at Funky Munky...fell in love with it immediately. Bought it.
Artcores give a lot of value for money.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Used Artcores sell cheap, and jazz players don't really beat up their instruments.
You should have no problem playing blues, and especially no problem with jazz on a 7 string. Although if you want a hollow body that's perfectly fine, I'm just saying.

I'll +1 to an artcore of some sort. I'm not really a hollow guy at all, but I wasn't really impressed with the Epiphone Dots I've played, compared to the similarly priced Ibanez Artcores.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Changing the guitar doesn't change the way you play. Changing the way you play changes the way you play.
Squier Strat
Squier Classic Vibe Duo-Sonic
Jay Turser JT-220
Fender Frontman 65r

What can I say? I like cheap gear.
No, my guitar has really high output pickups, after playing my friends' strats and epiphone hollow bodies I realised that a hollow body is much better for blues than my guitar. No doubt, my guitar is a versatille RG, and I have no problems at all with the seventh string, but I just like the sound of a hollow body when trying to play blues.

What do you think about a used epiphone lucille?
Misha

Generally, most Epiphone (semi)hollow instruments are good value for money.
A Lucille is not a hollow body though, keep that it mind.

You could also look at the Epiphone Dot, Hagström Viking or HJ-500 and other similarly priced brands. Most of them will work well.
On the low end, I'd look at the Ibanez Artcore, for a bit more money you could pick up an Epi Dot, and for a bit more money still, there's the Gretsch 5120.

Indie also makes a really nice ES335 copy that can be had for under a grand.

If you can find any left over Sparrow Big Daddy or Primative models they're worth trying out too.
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
Quote by JonnyMonster91
Changing the guitar doesn't change the way you play. Changing the way you play changes the way you play.

not true whatsoever. granted, a new guitar won't make you better, but different guitars (due to shape, sound, feel, features etc) certainly inspire you to play differently. one guitar may be significantly more comfortable than another for certain styles (complex chords don't feel so good on my ESP but they're great on my tele for some reason)

TS: do you want a hollow body (think old jazz boxes like es-175's and Gretsch's) or a semi-hollow body (es-335, strat semi-hollow). though they may seem to be rather similar, they are in fact rather different beasts and you ought to know which you want before diving in head first
I'll second the Gretsch 5120/5122, I love mine for blues, the neck pickup will give a good toned back sound and if you throw some overdrive in with the bridge pickup you can get that big dirty blues sound and it does some rock pretty well, whether you want the single cut or double cut is up to you.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
Look at a Epiphone "Joe Pass" type or check out the ES-135 for Gibson's cheapest best jazz/blues archtop.
Do you want an archtop that can be played unplugged? That's a whole different guitar.
Quote by Guitbuilder
Look at a Epiphone "Joe Pass" type or check out the ES-135 for Gibson's cheapest best jazz/blues archtop.
Do you want an archtop that can be played unplugged? That's a whole different guitar.

Yes, I do. But I don't need an acoustic.
Misha

Epiphone Dot all the way. My life would be empty without it.
You want me?
Well f**king well come and find me
I'll be waiting with a gun and a pack of sandwiches

Twitter:@iamoisinoneill
UG follows me. You should too.
Quote by Minimum92
Generally, most Epiphone (semi)hollow instruments are good value for money.
A Lucille is not a hollow body though, keep that it mind.

You could also look at the Epiphone Dot, Hagström Viking or HJ-500 and other similarly priced brands. Most of them will work well.

wat.. the lucille is a semi-hollowbody. it just doesn't have the F-holes on the top.

for jazz you'd probably want a thicker bodied full-hollowbody though. epiphone hollowbodies are pretty good for the money, it's well worth checking out what they have to offer.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
wat.. the lucille is a semi-hollowbody. it just doesn't have the F-holes on the top.

for jazz you'd probably want a thicker bodied full-hollowbody though. epiphone hollowbodies are pretty good for the money, it's well worth checking out what they have to offer.

In my mind the Lucille is a chambered solidbody, but that might just be a misconception from my side. I find it hard to discern the different types of bodies, in my mind a guitar can only be called HOLLOW when it's got a hole it. But as I said, that might be a wrong assumption.

Nothing negative from me on the Lucille though, it sounds great, but I preferred the Dot I played.
Quote by Minimum92
In my mind the Lucille is a chambered solidbody, but that might just be a misconception from my side. I find it hard to discern the different types of bodies, in my mind a guitar can only be called HOLLOW when it's got a hole it. But as I said, that might be a wrong assumption.

Nothing negative from me on the Lucille though, it sounds great, but I preferred the Dot I played.

it's a pretty grey area but the way i see it it's a method of construction really. the only difference between a dot and the lucille, construction-wise, is that they haven't cut the F-holes in the top of the guitar. the body is still constructed with a front and back panel and a frame around the side like an acoustic, whereas a chambered guitar is essentially a solid-body that has been hollowed out in places.

but there are different perspectives and different ways of looking at it, and technically a chambered guitar is semi-hollow even though you wouldn't really call it a "hollowbody" in guitar terms
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp