I'm in a common predicament, but the details are a bit odd. My friend had a metalcore/screamo band that broke up recently and we decided that he and I would form our own band. We have made a good writing team before and we each have something different to bring to the table here.

I am into heavy metal, some hardcore/metalcore and some more progressive stuff like Nevermore, Dream Theater, Mastodon, Protest The Hero etc. My friend is into a lot of hardcore and metalcore, like Our Last Night (which I like), Of Mice And Men, Chelsea Grin, you get it. We both also like the big bands (metallica, maiden)

He will probably play bass and do the screaming and I will play rhythm/lead guitar depending on if we get another guitarist.
The general idea for our songs we'd like to do is make them blend metal and hard/metalcore, have screaming and (mid range, baritone, not whiny)singing, no crappy breakdowns, and be somewhat technical. Are there any bands like this that both he and I can listen to, to get a feel for what we want to do? Like progressive metalcore, but not freaking insane guitars/bass, and not scene crap? We have dignity, we don't want to play just breakdowns and squealies to get chicks.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
well, i'd say brainstorm what band you listen to and each try to bring all those styles into one style, just jam and it should come
since you both like metallica and maiden, put them as a basis
then add some screamy bands, melodic metal( which i think i may have made up) and any other bands you want to be like; then listen to them all and try to jam in all their playing styles
Listen to At The Gates: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc3rpQEHVhk They're a bitchin' band, so all the generic metalcore bands rip them off. Play stuff like this, maybe throw in some clean vocals, and you'd have something I'd listen to.
How about you play music and find out what it sounds like. Talking is just talking.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
How about you play music and find out what it sounds like. Talking is just talking.

This.

When putting an original band together, it's obviously a mistake to limit it's potential by placing it within the confines of a genre.