1990 Ibanez rg550
ZW Buzzsaw
Ibanez: s470
Jackson: RR Flying V
Charvel: 90's model sunburst
Jackson Stealth
Mesa Boogie Solo 50
Sunn cab
IMO you will get something better for the same money, id probably get a roland if I was looking at something in that price range.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
They aren't as bad as some people play them out to be, but you'd be much better off saving that money and putting it toward something else.

Think about it this way:

Why do you think this person is offering it to you for such a good price?
you could find something better than that...now having said that if it was bout half that price it might be good to scrap for parts if your into that sort of thing
Buy a Roland Cube amp.

And a PURPLE MG?
Never seen one of those before!

MGs are notorious for their awful and fake distortion, feedback problems and the fact they are very overpriced.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by Paultaters
I've heard again and again about this being the shittest thing in existence. I just got offered a purple mg halfstack for $120, even if it sucks bigtime, the deal sounds good to me.. Opinions pleaaaaaaaaase?

exactly how is it a good deal if it sucks bigtime? spending any money on a useless piece of crap is never a good deal.

the MG half stack is the same as the 10 watter only bigger with more controls. it sounds exactly the same as that little 10 watt thing everyone has as their first amp and outgrows pretty quickly. trust me, you do not want to spend $120 on a bigger version of that.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Don't do it.

The clean channel's acceptable for a beginner amp but everything else is a waste of time. You'll have a hard time selling it if you do buy it, and it's purple.

You could do so much better.

An MG30 was my first amp. It was OK when I started out, it then spent 3/4 years as a place to hide condoms and cigarettes when I got a new amp, I then sold it for 25% of it's brand new price, and that was to a guy who wanted a beginner amp for his son that was loud enough to piss his mom off.

Long story short I lost a lot of money, and had a very hard time flogging it. It's useful to hide naughty things in though.
Last edited by Duv at Jun 13, 2011,
Quote by Duv
Don't do it.

The clean channel's acceptable for a beginner amp but everything else is a waste of time. You'll have a hard time selling it if you do buy it, and it's purple.

You could do so much better.

An MG30 was my first amp. It was OK when I started out, it then spent 3/4 years as a place to hide condoms and cigarettes when I got a new amp, I then sold it for 25% of it's brand new price, and that was to a guy who wanted a beginner amp for his son that was loud enough to piss his mom off.

Long story short I lost a lot of money, and had a very hard time flogging it. It's useful to hide naughty things in though.

"Location: UK"

but you have a good point. used MGs are cheap because they have no resale value, because so many people buy them and so many people regret buying it within a couple of weeks. don't be one of those people.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
exactly how is it a good deal if it sucks bigtime? spending any money on a useless piece of crap is never a good deal.

the MG half stack is the same as the 10 watter only bigger with more controls. it sounds exactly the same as that little 10 watt thing everyone has as their first amp and outgrows pretty quickly. trust me, you do not want to spend $120 on a bigger version of that.

I meant because in my town they are selling around $250. Anywho, you guys talked me against it. Thanks again UG.
he should be paying you to take that amp
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

I say buy it, then sell it after a few days to some 13 year old who knows nothing about amplifiers or good tone for about 4x the price. Tell him it's a Marshall stack just like Jimi Hendrix used, and that it has shimmering cleans and CRUSHING overdrive. He'll buy it in a second.

Once you have the money, use it and go buy yourself a TC Electronic Nova System. Take my advice into consideration, my friend.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
I say buy it, then sell it after a few days to some 13 year old who knows nothing about amplifiers or good tone for about 4x the price. Tell him it's a Marshall stack just like Jimi Hendrix used, and that it has shimmering cleans and CRUSHING overdrive. He'll buy it in a second.

Once you have the money, use it and go buy yourself a TC Electronic Nova System. Take my advice into consideration, my friend.

lol that could actually work
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by Ian_the_fox
I say buy it, then sell it after a few days to some 13 year old who knows nothing about amplifiers or good tone for about 4x the price.

+1. I was going to say the exact same thing. It's a horrible amp. I've played MG15's, 30's and the heads and the head is the worst. It's a horrible amp, but you could make some profit. I've bought gear with intentions to just sell it before. Profit from used gear has been fueling all my gear acquisitions since November. And I've bought alot of stuff since then. I say go for it.
Good intro stack... great deal for $120.. but if your looking for a real long term investment, go tube..
id say get it and if it sucks that bad sell it for the same price or raise the price a bit and profit. You could sell it for $200 to someone just starting out easy
In a nutshell, the only good sounds MGs make are the crashes when you throw a laod of them out of a window.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by Woffelz
In a nutshell, the only good sounds MGs make are the crashes when you throw a laod of them out of a window.

And if you want to make them sound awesome, using a guitar, you go all "The Who" on them, using a cheap china knock-off.
Or go Jimmy Hendrix on them... GASOLINE!
Don't be too harsh on them. You can pick them up used for pennies, and when you're a beginner the clean sound is ok. The drive channel is junk though. You can also use headphones and it has built in effects that you can learn to understand. It does a job.

I just think Marshall should have branded them differently - like what Fender/Squier do with guitars. I'm not gna lie, I only bought this as my first amp because of the logo, and the store recommending it, and thinking I was going to sound like Hendrix and Slash. I know it helps them sell units to have it as a Marshall but it devalues the brand.
Marshall MGs aren't worth the money that's asked for them, is all. They sound about the same as you'd expect from a budget-line amp, except it falls just out of budget-line prices. Second hand usually means a much fairer price.

Still, MG halfstacks aren't worth the trouble unless you want your el-cheapo tone to be heard three blocks away. Which, trust me, you don't. There's no practical use for an MG halfstack and you'd be better off looking elsewhere for your good deal.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
I used to use a 50 watt MG for band practice. It didn't sound that bad really; but then again it was manipulated with a fair few pedals.
Quote by CrazyPigeon
I used to use a 50 watt MG for band practice. It didn't sound that bad really; but then again it was manipulated with a fair few pedals.

Anything can sound good with a proper pedalboard in front of it. It's hardly an investment worth making, though, if your tone improves jst as much or even more by just biting the bullet and getting a better amp.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by PsiGuy60
Anything can sound good with a proper pedalboard in front of it. It's hardly an investment worth making, though, if your tone improves jst as much or even more by just biting the bullet and getting a better amp.

Oh, of course. It wasn't my MG, it was my drummer's dads. It got replaced by a Roland Cube 30 eventually, allowed me to ditch quite a lot of the pedal setup.
Quote by killboypowerhed
yeah i would say go for it. then sell it for 200-300.

Hmm im gonna get flamed here coz even tbh i own a Marshall MG102FX (yes ok there you go flame me) i wouldnt buy it, you can get better amps for that price.

But anyway guys i dont know why everyone is like, arghh its a marshall mg arghh its so shitt, when i dont think it is, its a actually a good amp to me you know the distortion is great on it, alot better than my old amp anyway, so i just dont see why everyone hates them??