So a few friends of mine are starting a band... and I said I'd be interested in playing as guitarist.
thing is I now have to compete and audition.
anyone know a decently easy song that won't bore people with guitar alone, as in by myself playing?
thanks
what style band?
what kind of guitarist are you?
and what would be your role in the band?
rock just generally.... I was thinking some AC/DC but then remembered the solos.
I try to be lead but at the moment I'm still only working on my speed.
I'm aiming to be the lead guitarist but there's another guy too so I may end up as rhythm or something.

(@seanmcooke) not sure what you mean by what kind of guitarist am I
1st, if you don't have the speed to shred, then don't shred, but you can still play lead guitar if you're familiar with your scales enough to play solos comfortably. I myself am a lead guitarist who takes after Santana, playing lead guitar with a lot more rhythm, melody and feeling than just speed. Just make sure that you can actually hang as a lead guitarist and dont force it if youre not ready.

2nd, if you want to play rhythm guitar, don't treat it as if it's a runner-up position to the lead guitar. A solid rhythm guitarist can make or break a band's sound and with the right songs, you'll get plenty of interesting parts. Especially, throw some jazzy chords into the mix in breaks and bridges and you'll be the backbone of the entire groove. Rhythm guitar is also really fun if youre good enough
To answer your question though, pick a song that you really like in a style that fits the band. Make sure it has enough variety to show that you know what you're doing and play it well. It's better to rock the hell out of an easy song like Sweet Home Alabama than to screw up royally on a Van Halen solo.

The first song that came to mind in my repertoire is Crazy Train by Ozzy (if you dont mind playing a guitar hero song) It's got sweet changes, a chance to play some lead lines, and a good, solid chord progression.
don't know crazy train at all and I've only a few days to learn it... too much for me I think with all the bits and pieces of it and especially the solo.....
I'm not good at tapping at all ya see
Pick something you already know and work to improve it...check out the tabs and learn all the extra stuff that you can add comfortably. just make sure that whatever you play is solid and at your own ability level
I am currently in a band as a rhythm guitarist and I like it.

As for a song...
Try something by Sum 41 if you know it. In Too Deep has an amazing solo and it's not so hard.
If you want a more classic rock sound, try Purple Haze by Jimi Hendrix. Insanely fun song.
Quote by seano554
rock just generally.... I was thinking some AC/DC but then remembered the solos.
I try to be lead but at the moment I'm still only working on my speed.
I'm aiming to be the lead guitarist but there's another guy too so I may end up as rhythm or something.

(@seanmcooke) not sure what you mean by what kind of guitarist am I

You shook me all night long

The solo is simple and it won't bore them. Unless they think ac/dc is boring.
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Hmm, a hard thing to do..noth boring the audience when only playing guitar..
Can you fingerpick fluently? If so, I would recommend any Chet atkins piece, as having both a baseline and a melody + chords will bring extra interest to the piece and will sound more like a full band.
You'll Never Walk Alone!