http://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/normul/

I've been working on a demo of a prog metal song I wrote. I did everything on the recording and produced it entirely by myself. The mix doesn't sound too great on laptop speakers or crappy headphones, but some decent speakers/headphones should do it justice.

Any criticism is welcome, be it positive or negative. Just keep in mind that this is a demo of sorts and I plan on carefully retracking it when I get the time.

Remember, C4C.

Peace,
Normul
Quote by JezuzFingerz
Oh i lol'd quite a lot. Internets to you Normul. Normul you are the funniest man on all the internets. I would gladly make dirty lovin' to Normul all night long. Normul is the reason I breath. Normul
Nice job, feels like a mix of Opeth and Porcupine Tree in a way. Only issue for me is the vocals sliding off key in places, but other than that, excellent.
Really cool song man! The heavy riffs are spot on! Overall really well constructed and tasteful. I have to agree with mishax92. It does remind me a lot of Opeth and PTree, two of my favorites! The intro especially reminded me of Opeth. Vocals are just about the only thing that could use a little work. They do sound great though for the most part (wish I could even sing half that good)! I won't comment on the mix as I happen to be a terrible mixer . Great job! What are you running the guitar through? The tones sound pretty darn good!
I use my cheap, old Line 6 POD 2.0 for all of the electric tones. I swear by that thing, it's so great for multi-tracking heavy riffs. That combined with some post-production in Logic Pro.
Quote by JezuzFingerz
Oh i lol'd quite a lot. Internets to you Normul. Normul you are the funniest man on all the internets. I would gladly make dirty lovin' to Normul all night long. Normul is the reason I breath. Normul
Quote by bboren
Sounds great! I have to have an axe fx just to keep up with you

That and an extra string. :P

Some tedious producing can make crappy gear go a long way. That's my motto.
Quote by JezuzFingerz
The singing killed it for me to be honest, completely lost the mood that was building up in the intro. Loved the guitar work though.
Quote by Normul
That and an extra string. :P

Some tedious producing can make crappy gear go a long way. That's my motto.

Yes, and the extra string. Now I need an 8 string to surpass you . I've always pretty much just layed riffs down and programmed drums and then I would be done with it when it came to making a song haha. I really haven't gotten into truly mixing/producing anything. That's what our OCD drummer is for . I'm starting to learn though!
Quote by bboren
Yes, and the extra string. Now I need an 8 string to surpass you . I've always pretty much just layed riffs down and programmed drums and then I would be done with it when it came to making a song haha. I really haven't gotten into truly mixing/producing anything. That's what our OCD drummer is for . I'm starting to learn though!

I'm my own OCD drummer. Haha.
The sound quality on your stuff was still quite well done considering you don't produce/mix much yourself.
We should collaborate on something sometime. I'd like to do some heavier guitar production if you'd be interested in supplying the guitar skills.
Quote by JezuzFingerz
Quote by Normul
I'm my own OCD drummer. Haha.
The sound quality on your stuff was still quite well done considering you don't produce/mix much yourself.
We should collaborate on something sometime. I'd like to do some heavier guitar production if you'd be interested in supplying the guitar skills.

Yea for sure man! That would be awesome!
i have only 2 problems:
1) the singer
2) the guitar tone is alittle boomy at the beggining
beside that its an aweomse demo =)
btw the intro is aweomse, i think it will be cooler with a clean sound
Sick instrumental; not too big on the vocals much at all. It doesn't fit. I like the lyrics a lot. Great tones, but the intro would be a bit better with a cleaner sound. Nice rhythm. Really awesome demo you have here. Would love to hear a finished version sometime.

C4C?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1449134
Great recording, man. I can see you're a fan of Steven Wilson by your avatar and your writing style in general. I think your backing vocals need to be redone because they are out of tune a lot of the time. The guitar tones are great and the drums sound excellent. What do you use for drums? This is all some really good sounding stuff. I just needs a little work here and there to get the kinks out. Check out mine?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451189
This is ****ing awesome. intro reminded me of mastodon a little bit and then a little bit of RHCP kinda. it was very well mixed and produced. theres only two things I would suggest which would be to work on your singing a little bit, you have potential but you need to really work at it some more. the other thing would be that I kinda wanted a few more heavy spots in the song. You wrote some great riffs I'd love to hear some more of it. C4C link https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1450658