Can you get a switch that just makes it like the tone's rolled all the way off? I mean I don't ever use my tone knob, at all, other than every now and then rolling it all the way off, and I thought it would be cool just to have a switch, do they make them?
Oh yeah, it's certainly possible to do. You'd need a switch that ran all your signal through a capacitor, or bypassed it. It'd be very easy to do.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Dude.... I need a lil' bit more help than that, lol. I can route a cavity for pickups, make a floyd rose cavity, but when it comes to electronics... that's always seemed scary to me.
here is a basic diagram i made quickly over one i grabbed online, sorry for their watermark... the pot on the right is the normal tone pot. basically the black is what you would replace it with. the hot going to the pot would go in one end, and the other would have a capacitor coming out that would run to ground on whatever is closest to it. so when the switch is off (this is for a 2 lug switch) the connection is broken and the hot wire goes to nothing, then when its on it connects through the capacitor.

choose the capacitor to whatever effect you want. higher number means more change when switched on, less highs.

Last edited by xadioriderx at Jun 13, 2011,
Hahahaha electronics harder than routing. Electronics are the easiest part IMO. You just get a switch, almost any sort will work. And wire the center lug to the positive and an outer lug to one leg of the capacitor. Then the other leg of the capacitor goes to ground. And when I say positive it can be the positive for the jack or for a pickup (but then it'd only act on that pickup).
Quote by LeviMan_2001
Hahahaha electronics harder than routing. Electronics are the easiest part IMO. You just get a switch, almost any sort will work. And wire the center lug to the positive and an outer lug to one leg of the capacitor. Then the other leg of the capacitor goes to ground. And when I say positive it can be the positive for the jack or for a pickup (but then it'd only act on that pickup).

good call, add it to which pickup you want, and his direction was for a 3 lug ON-ON switch, my picture was for a 2 lug ON-OFF switch. either will work. with his you will just have an extra lug off one side.
you can find them on ebay for cheap. just search "toggle switch", and youll find a ton of on-on switches, not many on-off.
and you dont want on-off-on or anything else, those will have 3 positions or more, when you need 2
Disassemble the tone pot, dab a little nail polish on the carbon track at the max position and that'll switch it off completely when you've got the knob at 10. If you want instant switchability to full zero on the tone then I'd just add what amounts to a killswitch with the proper capacitor soldered between the switch lug and the ground, omitting the pot completely.

edit: I see this has already been covered... I guess I was a little premature for some reason. Must be tired.
Last edited by Pikka Bird at Jun 13, 2011,
if you are replacing the pot with a switch:

wire the cap from ground to one lead of a resistor (of about the same value as the tone pot).

wire the other end of the resistor to the pole of the pup switch.

wire the pole of an on-off switch (SPST) to the junction of the cap and resistor.

wire the other lug of the switch to the pole of the pup switch, where you wired the resistor.