Page 1 of 2
So this past weekend I made a trade that I will regret to some degree for a long time.

After buying my AC15C1, I was dying for a tele. So I put one of my guits on CL for trade. I wasn't particularly in love with this guitar I offered up, but it was certainly worth..um, a lot more than what I got in return. After a few days of my post being up, I got a call and was offered an all-Fender parts Tele. The kid (probably 18 or so) said that he had just bought it on a whim from a guy who apparently enjoyed tinkering and putting together guitars. So, the kid, sent me three pictures and this is what I received:

This last photo is the best indicator of how it actually looked, butterscotch with a light relic, and the neck had a very vintagey, nitro-looking tint.

Well, this is what I held in my hands at our meeting place.

Tinted, aged...nitro...man I thought I had a nice little tele to work with. BUT...I decided to open 'er up and check out the serial and find out what years these parts were. I was told the body was 70's and the neck "not quite as old". I thought the bridge looked fishy, but my gear-lust blinded me.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
So I took off the strings, then the neckplate and screws...lifted off the neck annnnd, I found, "SGE9014" on the neck and "SGE9013" on the body. I knew that these were serials I had never seen, and they obviously were an original matched pair one way or another so my heart was slowly sinking. So I did some more digging and unscrewing and here is what was under the control plate

Baby pots and tape EVERYWHERE. Shortly after this, the input jack fell off! The leads connected to the jack were held there by tape. I did plug it in and it did sound okay. This was quickly becoming a trade and NGD from hell.

So I sat down to google and after a hell of a lot of searching I found that the body and neck are from a more recent Squier Affinity. The fender logo is a waterslide which I only found out after scratching the surface some.

I called this kid and he felt terrible and didnt really offer to reverse the trade, but I could tell he atleast felt bad. Its mostly my fault, and I know that...so I did what any self-respecting man would do. I logged on to GFS and placed an order worth well over $100.

Here is where I stand ATM:

I'm getting ahold of a wood worker to refinish this thing, my friend with a soldering gun and the UPS man will bring me all my new toys. Oh and did I mention this thing came with little toy pickups?

Laugh at me, please.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Last edited by BrokenDstring at Jun 13, 2011,
Quote by rox355
What did you trade?

For my pride's sake, and my still-lingering denial...I just can't say
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Rough man, hope you can make yourself a decent project guitar out of this
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809
Rough man, hope you can make yourself a decent project guitar out of this

Well thank you, I intend to be balls deep in this thing Hopefully it comes out a really solid guitar.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
look at this a few ways other than a rough lesson!
whatever you got rid of, you clearly didnt have a desire for it. so no matter the dollar value, its not worth much.
you got this, you know what it is now, its a telecaster ("fender" or not). you put some money into it, you refinish it, you get it all done how you want it, and in the end, you have EXACTLY what you want, and you can say you did it yourself. whats more satisfying? maybe i just love building things, but i think itll be worth the work, and when you finally get that sound you want, youll be all the more proud for it
and if not, here are some smileys to help
Quote by xadioriderx
look at this a few ways other than a rough lesson!
whatever you got rid of, you clearly didnt have a desire for it. so no matter the dollar value, its not worth much.
you got this, you know what it is now, its a telecaster ("fender" or not). you put some money into it, you refinish it, you get it all done how you want it, and in the end, you have EXACTLY what you want, and you can say you did it yourself. whats more satisfying? maybe i just love building things, but i think itll be worth the work, and when you finally get that sound you want, youll be all the more proud for it
and if not, here are some smileys to help

This, right here, is a good UG'er, folks. Thank you so much, and you're exactly right, its gonna be MY bitchin' tele

LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Quote by BrokenDstring
This, right here, is a good UG'er, folks. Thank you so much, and you're exactly right, its gonna be MY bitchin' tele

ill take that =p
when you play like me, you have to have a good attitude
seriously, what did you trade?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
seriously, what did you trade?

+1 I'd like to know as well.

Anyways I'd still go ahead and say Happy New Guitar Day. Whether you got screwed over or got the deal of the century, it doesn't matter. A newly acquired guitar is a guitar.

Good luck on pimping out that guitar. When it's done, I'm sure it would turn out to be a hell of a guitar you're never gonna put down.
^+1...The People have Spoken...
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
It really wasn't anything crazy, I promise.

Epiphone Dot Deluxe with locking SKB hard case.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Quote by BrokenDstring
It really wasn't anything crazy, I promise.

Epiphone Dot Deluxe with locking SKB hard case.

Dude that sucks. I hope that tele works out for ya.
I bet the kid's laughing his ass off right now.

EDIT: How do you string that? There's no ferrules on the back of the body like on normal Teles.
Quote by redandwhite12
whatever bro shit happens. mod the tits out of it and have fun doing it.

*bro fist*
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
so you're going to fix this guitar up with crappy parts from gfs?

dig yourself out of a hole. not deeper into one.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Seref

EDIT: How do you string that? There's no ferrules on the back of the body like on normal Teles.

that bridge is a normal tele it strings from the bottom. I believe they are called ash tray's
And if I don't see ya, in a long, long while

I'll try to find you

Left of the dial
Quote by AcousticMirror
so you're going to fix this guitar up with crappy parts from gfs?

dig yourself out of a hole. not deeper into one.

and do what? spend more than the guitar itself is worth? I think I'll be very happy with some cheaper fixer-upper parts from GFS than going into this way more than its worth.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Quote by Seref

"normal" tele's have the ashtray style bridge...jus' sayin..

Bummer on the Epi dot...ouch...
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
well obviously he wanted it since he made the trade...

he didn't start not wanting it till he took it all apart.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I'll live for sure, but its a bummer no matter which way you look at it. Going from a vintage-ish Fender to a beat up Squier isn't exactly desirable I'll have fun making it my own, and you guys will all get to see/hear what this thing becomes.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Quote by lostjesse
that bridge is a normal tele it strings from the bottom. I believe they are called ash tray's

Quote by Controlpanel
"normal" tele's have the ashtray style bridge...jus' sayin..

Seem to have missed what I'm sayin.

Most Teles, going all the way back to the original 1950 Teles and Esquires, have those holes in the back, unless it came from the factory with a Bigsby or other top-loading bridge. The holes are sometimes called Ferrules, because the little metal bits that go in the holes to hold the string-ends are called Ferrules.

The Ashtray has gone through more design iterations than the Telecaster itself. Was just wondering how this particular version of the Ashtray bridge is strung if it's not through-body. I've never used a Tele that had a bridge like the TS's, with 6 saddles and no holes.
Last edited by Seref at Jun 14, 2011,
I'm sorry man. I hope everything turns out well.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by Seref
Seem to have missed what I'm sayin.

Most Teles, going all the way back to the original 1950 Teles and Esquires, have those holes in the back, unless it came from the factory with a Bigsby or other top-loading bridge. The holes are sometimes called Ferrules, because the little metal bits that go in the holes to hold the string-ends are called Ferrules.

The Ashtray has gone through more design iterations than the Telecaster itself. Was just wondering how this particular version of the Ashtray bridge is strung if it's not through-body. I've never used a Tele that had a bridge like the TS's, with 6 saddles and no holes.

I see what you are saying. I think he needs a new bridge or a drill. Bummer. Turn it into your own guitar. Make it the best "fenderish" tele you can think of.
Quote by Seref

Some Teles had a through-bridge. Well, original Fenders in the late 1950s.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
as much as you do to the guitar, on the inside you will always know it is a squire. At least you can have some fun with it though.

Rather then fixing it, light it on fire at your next gig.
^lolz at the last two posts. Oh and Ippon, I kept the pickguard and the hardware is gold

I will always know that its a Squier, but if I make it look and sound good, thats what will matter...and it gives me a solid reason to buy a new Fender Tele
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Until these posts I never realized its not string through. If you're gonna get it refinished anyways, I'd look into getting those holes drilled as well.

Squier/Fender, whatever. Its got the correct headstock shape and will sound pretty awesome when done I'm sure. Enjoy it for what it is and I'm sure you'll learn to love it
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Quote by ianae86
Until these posts I never realized its not string through. If you're gonna get it refinished anyways, I'd look into getting those holes drilled as well.

Squier/Fender, whatever. Its got the correct headstock shape and will sound pretty awesome when done I'm sure. Enjoy it for what it is and I'm sure you'll learn to love it

Well, the guy who is most likely going to clean it up is just an average woodworker and a friend. Great with wood (lolz)...probably not much experience with guitars. Plus, I don't mind the top loading, for now.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
I knew something was up with that thing...sorry about that man, at least you have a decent modding platform now.
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Vox Night Train 15W
An ever-morphing BOSS and MXR loaded pedalboard

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
What color would you guys refinish this lady in? The wood is kind of hard to look at, so I want it to be opaque...I'm thinking I want an aged white, maybe a solid butterscotch...what do you guise think?
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Page 1 of 2