Training camps are coming to a close, preseason starts on Wednesday, and the season kicks off on June 30th in Montreal. With the NFL lockout in effect, I was wondering if anyone here follows or is planning on following the CFL.

Love it or hate it, the Canadian Football League is a league with three downs, a longer and wider field, twenty yard endzones, and field goal returns. It offers a different brand of fast-paced, hard hitting football. There are eight teams competing to win the 99th Grey Cup, which will play an 18 game schedule starting in July and ending in early November. Six teams will make it to the playoffs. Despite currently only having eight teams, with talent mostly sub-par to the NFL level, the games never get old as they feature big special teams plays, frequent momentum shifts, and are commonly high scoring affairs.

A little history from wikipedia:
Rugby football began to be played in Canada in the 1860s, and many of the first Canadian football teams played under the auspices of the Canadian Rugby Football Union (CRFU), founded in 1884.[11] The CRFU was reorganized as the Canadian Rugby Union (CRU) in 1892, and served as an umbrella organization that several leagues were part of. The Grey Cup was donated by Governor General Earl Grey in 1909 to the team winning the Senior Amateur Football Championship of Canada. By that time, the sport as played in Canada had diverged markedly from its rugby origins. From the 1930s to the 1950s, the two senior leagues of the CRU, the Interprovincial Rugby Football Union (IRFU) and Western Interprovincial Football Union (WIFU) gradually evolved from amateur to professional leagues, and amateur teams such as those in the Ontario Rugby Football Union (ORFU) were no longer competitive in their Cup challenges. The ORFU withdrew from Grey Cup competition in 1954, heralding the start of the modern era of professional Canadian football, in which the Grey Cup has been exclusively contested by professional teams (Since 1965, Canada's top amateur teams, competing in Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS), have competed for the Vanier Cup).

So with preseason starting in a couple days, this is a thread to discuss what is happening in the league with any other fans here on UG (if there are very many )
Quote by SteveHouse
11er sighting! 11er sighting!

You have fine taste, sir.

Quote by stratdud39

Best 11'er yet

Quote by Tazeyo
Allen10 prolly the funniest newfag I've seen yet. Kudos.
Last edited by Allen10 at Jun 13, 2011,
yeah its a bore

however for college football, go Queens !! golden gaels ye
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
I've always wanted to give Canadian Football a shot
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Thrashtastic15
my dirty secret is my love for the ti cats.

My other one is Western football.

Next time you diss Hamilton, I'm using that.

Hopefully the young BC Lions gained a little experience last year and can step it up a notch. As I think that was the major reason we lost to Sask.

Jackson and Lulay are a solid QB tandem as long as our O-Line can keep the hits to a minimum.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
my history teacher/football coach played in the cfl, and another coach is the son of dan ferrone (member of the all-time argonauts team) and he came in and coached us one day. it's pretty cool i guess
I don't ever recall posting a video about Canadian Football
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
Next time you diss Hamilton, I'm using that.

Hopefully the young BC Lions gained a little experience last year and can step it up a notch. As I think that was the major reason we lost to Sask.

Jackson and Lulay are a solid QB tandem as long as our O-Line can keep the hits to a minimum.

I think BC will do pretty well this year. They went a strong 7-3 at the end of last season. Also I think Travis Lulay is capable of becoming one of the best quarterbacks in the league in the near future. I have a feeling Saskatchewan will be headed a little downhill this season, losing Andy Fantuz to the Chicago Bears and Rob Bagg on the injured list. It will be interesting to see how they do with Greg Marshall taking over as head coach.

Quote by stratdud39
Do you remember that crazy video you posted in the NFL thread?
Maybe it wasn't you..

Is this the video you're talking about?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5BFaykcxGg&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by stratdud39

Best 11'er yet

Quote by Tazeyo
Go Alouettes!!! I love the CFL, but I only get about 2 or 3 games a season, living in the US... Wish TSN could get a deal with DirecTv... or the CFL with Vs... Something I wanna see Canadian football! And that Toronto/Montreal ending was INSANE!
I'M IN THE FIGHT TO CURE CYSTIC FIBROSIS...MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

Quote by JustRooster
I'm a straight man, but I'd put that surfcaster right in my mouth.

Quote by JD2k9
Well, life is like a penis.
Women make it hard.
Also, it's short but seems long when it gets hard.
Quote by Allen10
I think BC will do pretty well this year. They went a strong 7-3 at the end of last season. Also I think Travis Lulay is capable of becoming one of the best quarterbacks in the league in the near future. I have a feeling Saskatchewan will be headed a little downhill this season, losing Andy Fantuz to the Chicago Bears and Rob Bagg on the injured list. It will be interesting to see how they do with Greg Marshall taking over as head coach.

Is this the video you're talking about?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5BFaykcxGg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

epic
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by darkcheef
You kick the ball even if you're not the kicker?

Damn, it's going to be hard getting used to watching that

In the CFL a missed field goal can be returned as if it were a punt. This was the last play left of regulation time with the score tied at 30. If Toronto attempted to return the ball out of the endzone and didn't make it past the goal line, Montreal would've scored a safety thus winning the game. So instead Toronto put in punter/kicker Noel Prefontaine to punt the ball out of the endzone hoping to send the game into overtime. Montreal then attempted to punt through the endzone, which results in one point and a touchback, winning them the game. Instead they recovered the ball in the endzone for a touchdown. Just to clarify

Edit: I highly doubt you'll see another play like that anytime soon.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by stratdud39

Best 11'er yet

Quote by Tazeyo
Last edited by Allen10 at Jun 13, 2011,
Haha I like the optimism for the Lions in the older posts! I'm not big on football, but I generally keep an eye on the Lions to see how they're doing.
fear is the mindkiller

CANUCKS