Lately, I've been trying to build hand strength so I can play a two-hour show without having to compromise the performance by tiring my hand out. For a while I haven't had a lot of endurance for faster playing in my left hand, and I think I may have figured out why. I noticed that when I start moving faster, I unconsciously start hitting notes with the part of my fingers the print is on instead of the tip.

I'm not sure if this has to do with it, but I started feeling better when I focused on staying on my fingertips, so I think that may? Can anyone confirm or deny, and if the former, suggest some exercises to fix this issue?

If it makes any difference, the fatigue tends to be around either the first joint in either my ring or index finger, a little to the upper left of my hand facing from the palm, or right in the center of my forearm a few inches down from my wrist.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
If you've ever watched John Petrucci's "Rock Discipline", he gives you some tips on building endurance and keeping your hands/wrists/arms/etc from getting sore. Check this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XsLRQFV7rY

I have absolutely no idea about you playing with your fingertips. If it feels right and natural, then maybe it is? I'm not sure, I've never heard about that before haha.
Playing on the tips is important, but there's no "exercises" for it. It's just something you do, all the time.

Also, the index has to stay fairly flat to mute the surrounding strings, just watch out for it.
Quote by duck1992
If you've ever watched John Petrucci's "Rock Discipline", he gives you some tips on building endurance and keeping your hands/wrists/arms/etc from getting sore. Check this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XsLRQFV7rY

I have absolutely no idea about you playing with your fingertips. If it feels right and natural, then maybe it is? I'm not sure, I've never heard about that before haha.

I have honestly never watched Rock Discipline outside of the gag dubs before. The stretches seem like they'll help though - Same reason athletes stretch before a run, after all. And normally I'd agree that if it feels right, it is, but given palming the neck felt right for years, I beg to differ there.

Quote by Freepower
Playing on the tips is important, but there's no "exercises" for it. It's just something you do, all the time.

Also, the index has to stay fairly flat to mute the surrounding strings, just watch out for it.

So I guess slow down and try to rewrite the muscle memory for the ring finger then? And I figure it shouldn't be too much of a problem for the first finger, given it usually makes the smallest movements.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
If you don't play on your tips (yes, your pinky too) on the higher strings, proper vibrato is near impossible. When I started playing on my tips I found much more control over my vibrato... one of the most important things for guitar. Plus you get better power for hammering on and pulling off.

Sometimes you can't though, like that weird minor shape were you have to stretch like a mother****er (ex: Jason Becker Altitudes).
So I guess slow down and try to rewrite the muscle memory for the ring finger then? And I figure it shouldn't be too much of a problem for the first finger, given it usually makes the smallest movements.

Yep.