Hey everyone. Like the title says im thinking about getting a strat of some sort when i get my Les Paul as well. At first i was thinking something from ronodmusic, like an SX and upgrading it with new parts. I also considered an Agile Strat but i want something besides a Sunburst finish. I started looking into MIM Fenders and noticed they are the same price if not cheaper than the Agiles. Which would you guys go with? im looking for tones like Buddy Guy, John Mayer and John Frusciantes. Might eventually upgrade the pickups in it if the budget allows. So which route would you guys take? thanks in advance!
Quote by shecter guy
Hey everyone. Like the title says im thinking about getting a strat of some sort when i get my Les Paul as well. At first i was thinking something from ronodmusic, like an SX and upgrading it with new parts. I also considered an Agile Strat but i want something besides a Sunburst finish. I started looking into MIM Fenders and noticed they are the same price if not cheaper than the Agiles. Which would you guys go with? im looking for tones like Buddy Guy, John Mayer and John Frusciantes. Might eventually upgrade the pickups in it if the budget allows. So which route would you guys take? thanks in advance!

not sure what you are looking at on the agile site but none of their strats are anywhere near as much as a MIM Fender. if you want the fender sound then get a fender. you'll need upgrades to get the tones you mentioned as all 3 use custom shop strats. you'll habve to spend a fair amount of cash trying to cop those tones and it may not be worth the effort if you get cheapie guitars. while agile does have a good rep you may be a bit disappointed.
Having owned a few MIM Strats, as well as an SX copy, I'd suggest going with the MIM. They're generally really good. I've not come across a bad one, and you definitely feel a huge difference between a Fender and an SX. Can't speak on the Agiles, however.
sorry, i forgot to mention that i was looking at USED MIM fenders. the Strat i saw on the Agile site was this

http://www.rondomusic.com/ST802EB3TS.HTML

its in the same price range as a used MIM strat. And i know i wont get an exact tone, just something close enough in general. These arent the main bands i play so im not spending a butt load of cash to try to get an exact tone for covers. This is more for playing in my free time. Im gonna be running it into a Fender Champ 600 with a few pedals. just so you know
Check Craigslist every day until you spot some junkie selling his year-old MIM strat for $150.
ill keep craigslist in mind, although nothing good ever really pops up in my area despite it being a college town. This is a somewhat distant purchase, prolly about October when i get my final check for school.so people tend to agree the MIM. what pickups should i go for if i decide to upgrade them? i have no clue about single coil pickups haha
look at some G&L Legacies - check out some video demos of these before you rule them out.
hmm completely forgot about G&L. ill look into what they go for used. i really dont wanna spend more than like $350, and the MIM goes for around $300 used which is why i was looking into them. But i love G&L
I would seriously look into, and play some squires. NOT the bullet or affinity. But some of the higher end squires are great and run between 280 and 350. A lot of people are down on them (i used to be also, until I played some). But it is unjustified. Squire makes some pretty great strats in the classic vibe, vintage modified, players deluxe... even the standard is pretty nice for the price range. You would even have enough to upgrade the pick ups on your budget if thats what you desire, although I dont think they really need it!!!
Last edited by jsspang at Jun 13, 2011,
TS, I'd definitely look into the MIM Fenders, some people talk about replacing the pups but then find that the stock ones are not that bad. If you're dead set on replacing them, I'd look at the Seymour Duncan Vintage SSLs or you could look into GFS Professional Series, if you want something cheaper.

Lastly, I have two points; (1) If you could find a used $300 MIM Fender, than there really isn't a reason to be looking at a $350 squier and (2) don't get your hopes up for a used G&L, they're notoriously rare outside of the larger cities.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
hmmm ive thought about a used CV strat before. i just have to find a store near here that carries them. I know of one but last time i went in i got into a fight with the salesman so im hesitant to buy anything from there (they kinda screwed me over on some repair work). Im not dead set on changing pickups, just if they needed them or if it would really get me closer to what i want. To be honest i have very little experience with Fender Strats except a couple MIA models a friend of mine had.
Just a thought i had...i can cut my budget down for the LP, how much would a used Deluxe players strat, or a used American special or Highway one strat be? if it can handle some of the music i do, i might spring and go higher end. I play stuff like breaking benjamin, Chevelle, and some heavier stuff. would it be able to do it without a pick up upgrade? if necessary i could throw a hot rails in the bridge to use it live. I dont play metalcore or anything super heavy like that though. would this be a better route to take? just a thought i had
haven't seen a used american special yet so no idea. american made strats tend to hold there value fairly well so figure about $200 less than new price. as mentioned craigslist may offer better deals.

what are you talking LP wise? an actual gibson is an expensive proposition. i would suggest getting a really good strat rather than buying a cheap LP style guitar. save for a decent one later which will be easier if you already have a nice guitar.
Just get an MIM Strat. I don't own one, but I've played many, and you don't need to upgrade them. Just get them set up properly and they're fine. John frusciante plays old Strats rather than custom shop ones. Buddy guy plays his MIM signature alot of the time. John Mayer plays a mix of custom shop and vintage Strats.
It is important to know that a Fender Strat sounds like a Fender Strat, unless you drastically change it such as installing humbuckers.
Go for an MIM, they're fine.
hmm well the thought of the MIA strat came up because i dont really have any nice guitars and i kinda want at least one that i can be proud of, ya know? I am looking at an AL-3100, the purple bird model exactly. But i also like the AL-2000 and would be happy with either. And it would give me another 200 to put towards a strat if it could handlle heavier music well. Ill go to a shop nearby thats a Fender dealer when i get my check. They kinda have to be nice to me if im gonna drop like $600 in their store, right? Lol. And no, im gonna keep it SSS because i dont own a guitar like that yet
Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat.

/thread
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Quote by shredibanez24
Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat.

/thread

maybe the classic player 60s?
Quote by shecter guy
hmm well the thought of the MIA strat came up because i dont really have any nice guitars and i kinda want at least one that i can be proud of, ya know? I am looking at an AL-3100, the purple bird model exactly. But i also like the AL-2000 and would be happy with either. And it would give me another 200 to put towards a strat if it could handlle heavier music well. Ill go to a shop nearby thats a Fender dealer when i get my check. They kinda have to be nice to me if im gonna drop like $600 in their store, right? Lol. And no, im gonna keep it SSS because i dont own a guitar like that yet

strats with single coils can do some heavy stuff really well but it depends on what your idea of heavy is. not really the first choice for many of the modern metal styles. keep in mind that regular single coil pickups have hum etc and are noisey in high gain situations. try a few out and make sure it's what you want.
Quote by '93
maybe the classic player 60s?

Hmm... I like both to be honest, I have the Deluxe Roadhouse Strat but the classic players 60's is really nice as well. I was checking that out a few weeks ago. No matter which they're both great guitars. Some of the higher quality MIMs for sure.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
''Thinking'' about an MIM Strat? Dang, just go for the Fender. Nothing wrong with Agile, just go for Fender is what I would do. I love strats
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT