Was wondering what should be my first steps? I already checked the neck and the intonation, all good. Cleaned it off and all that good stuff.

The strings are old as hell though, and I was wondering if there was a specific way to change bass strings? I'm coming from a guitar background, but I heard you can **** up the neck so I'm just making sure.

Also, it's noticeably harder to slap on this bass then on the one I have been practicing on. I think it may be because the action is higher than the other basses I have played, can I get a confirmation on that?

Thanks guys.
Bass strings are alot easier to change IMO. You don't have to twist or loop them in some odd way. You just wind the string up at the top of the post (there should be a hole in the middle), slide it in, and start coiling it around until you get it in tune. There should be videos online, i'm not the best at explaining things.

Also, you're probably just not used to the action. I have my bass set up to a very high action and I slap just fine. It's a matter of getting used to it. Try adjusting your action to a comfortable height, high action isn't for everybody.

Also, congrats on getting your first bass
pinga
well if you're not sure about bass setups i suggest you go to guitar/bass luthier and let them fix the action for you. as for the strings, aren't they the same as restringing a guitar?
Quote by PUNKSTER93
well if you're not sure about bass setups i suggest you go to guitar/bass luthier and let them fix the action for you. as for the strings, aren't they the same as restringing a guitar?

I heard if you did it wrong you could **** up the neck because of the tension.

Quote by Cb4rabid

Also, congrats on getting your first bass

Thanks man, I'm pumped.
Quote by PUNKSTER93
well if you're not sure about bass setups i suggest you go to guitar/bass luthier and let them fix the action for you.

Nope. Easy as pie to do yourself, why pay someone to do it?

as for the strings, aren't they the same as restringing a guitar?

And, nope.

Quote by MetallicSka
I heard if you did it wrong you could **** up the neck because of the tension.

Also nope. Not really.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
If possible, go to a tech and ask if you pay them a little more, will they teach you how to do it yourself.
at the store I work at we charge 15 bucks to change a set of string. that is retartedly expensive.

bassically you stick the string vertically in to the tuner then bend it sideways and tighten like a normal guitar.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Oh i thought he wanted to learn how to adjust saddles and truss rod. never mind. BTW what did you buy?
Quote by the_perdestrian
at the store I work at we charge 15 bucks to change a set of string. that is retartedly expensive.

bassically you stick the string vertically in to the tuner then bend it sideways and tighten like a normal guitar.

Any shop around here will charge you $90 whether you want a full set-up or just want a swt of strings changed or even if you just want one strin raised a millimetre or something.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I've a friend who lives in Japan who said they the shops there charge 10000JPY for a string change without setup.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by askrere
Oh i thought he wanted to learn how to adjust saddles and truss rod. never mind. BTW what did you buy?

A used GK bass, no model. Can't find info on it anywhere.
Last edited by MetallicSka at Jun 14, 2011,
Hmm, GK, not G&L? At any rate, change your strings and set up your bass. I use D'Addario EXL160's. They've got a nice tone to them, they're consistent, and they're affordable. Yes, you can take all of your strings off at once, but cutting them off at full tension is probably a bad idea due to the sudden tension change. The neck will bow without the strings, but it will return when you re-string it. While the strings are off, a thorough cleaning might be a good idea. Maybe a little lemon oil on a darker wood fretboard. But, definitely set your bass up. All musicians should know how to set up their own tools of the trade. It's actually rather easy, and you'll be glad you learned how. Your friends will be stoked and ask you to set up their guitars. You need a capo, a no.1 phillips screwdriver, allen wrenches, and a decent gap measuring tool (I got one from a large auto parts store). I use the Fender setup on all of my basses, Fender or not. Here's a link to it: http://support.fender.com/manuals/instruments/Fender_Guitars_and_Basses_(1995-2002)_manual.pdf
I printed out the odd pages then flipped them over and printed the even ones on the back and put them in a folder. That way I have them at my fingertips and can make notes. I also re-tune between every step. You'll notice a huge difference when you're done, and you'll probably LOVE it!

Best of luck! If you set it up yourself, let us know how it goes. Jam on!
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
Last edited by deeptubes at Jun 14, 2011,
Quote by deeptubes
Hmm, GK, not G&L? At any rate, change your strings and set up your bass. I use D'Addario EXL160's. They've got a nice tone to them, they're consistent, and they're affordable. Yes, you can take all of your strings off at once, but cutting them off at full tension is probably a bad idea due to the sudden tension change. The neck will bow without the strings, but it will return when you re-string it. While the strings are off, a thorough cleaning might be a good idea. Maybe a little lemon oil on a darker wood fretboard. But, definitely set your bass up. All musicians should know how to set up their own tools of the trade. It's actually rather easy, and you'll be glad you learned how. Your friends will be stoked and ask you to set up their guitars. You need a capo, a no.1 phillips screwdriver, allen wrenches, and a decent gap measuring tool (I got one from a large auto parts store). I use the Fender setup on all of my basses, Fender or not. Here's a link to it: http://support.fender.com/manuals/instruments/Fender_Guitars_and_Basses_(1995-2002)_manual.pdf
I printed out the odd pages then flipped them over and printed the even ones on the back and put them in a folder. That way I have them at my fingertips and can make notes. I also re-tune between every step. You'll notice a huge difference when you're done, and you'll probably LOVE it!

Best of luck! If you set it up yourself, let us know how it goes. Jam on!

Thank's man, very helpful!