So my son has been taking guitar lessons for about a year (he played around and I taught him a little before that so he has been playing for about a year and a half). He really seems to enjoy it and I think he will stick with it so I bought him his own guitar about 8 months ago. I got him a squire standard special edition HSS strat (he picked it out). I am actually pretty impressed with the guitar, I was always anti squire but have been pretty suprised with this standard and my opinon has been swayed. It plays great, and sounds pretty good on the neck and middle pups. I personally think it is on par with a MIM with slightly less sustain, due to the body wood.

However, I think the guitar sounds great, but the bridge pick up is rather brittle. He plays a lot of different styles, but seems to prefer distorted tones. Would it be a good idea and worth it to upgrade the bridge humbucker only? I was thinking maybe a sh- 4, sh-5 or sh-6. I mean for only 75 bucks he can get a pretty serious distortion, am I right? I understand an upgrade to a jb humbucker is pretty standard. So would it be a good idea, or can anyone else suggest any other humbucker upgrades for an hss strat?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by jsspang at Jun 13, 2011,
Id definitely go for it. The way I see it, once you have a nice set of pickups, you can put them in guitars you pick up down the road. Its not like once you put the pickup into a guitar it becomes permanently bonded to that guitar.

these are what I have been looking into getting for myself. they all have decentish cleans for a bridge pup, but I really want the good high gain distortion. so ymmv...
from seymour duncan
sh-6, sh-8, sh-10

from bare knuckle pickups
nailbomb, painkiller, warpig

from DiMarzio
D activator-X

you might also look at these here, if youd rather not put a ton of money into it.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Humbucker-Sized-Guitar-Pickups_c_26.html
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
i had a hss mim fender strat. i put a dimarzio breed in it. that was a very hot pup. it worked out good. barely took it of the back. if he wants something with more bite on his bridge i don't see a reason not to upgrade a little. anything dimarzio is good in my opinion. and depending on where you get them they're under $100. and if you get a nice one you can always take it out and put it in a new guitar if he upgrades that.
Quote by kolonelkadat
Id definitely go for it. The way I see it, once you have a nice set of pickups, you can put them in guitars you pick up down the road. Its not like once you put the pickup into a guitar it becomes permanently bonded to that guitar.

these are what I have been looking into getting for myself. they all have decentish cleans for a bridge pup, but I really want the good high gain distortion. so ymmv...
from seymour duncan
sh-6, sh-8, sh-10

from bare knuckle pickups
nailbomb, painkiller, warpig

from DiMarzio
D activator-X

you might also look at these here, if youd rather not put a ton of money into it.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Humbucker-Sized-Guitar-Pickups_c_26.html

Wow thanks for the link.... I know nothing of the pickups at guitar fetish. Can you tell me more? I listened to some samples. They sound pretty amazing on the file clip, but honestly it doesnt tell me much. They could be playing through a 2000 marshall stack or something so anything could sound good. Does guitar fetish make them? Why are they so Cheap? do you have any experience with them? any other info you could tell me would be greaT!!

I know his strat currently has an alnico 2 hum. I reallly liked the sound of the VEH and the high output alnico... but would those be much of an upgrade from what he has? or would I be better off going sd or dimarzio
Last edited by jsspang at Jun 13, 2011,
Quote by jsspang
Wow thanks for the link.... I know nothing of the pickups at guitar fetish. Can you tell me more? I listened to some samples. They sound pretty amazing on the file clip, but honestly it doesnt tell me much. They could be playing through a 2000 marshall stack or something so anything could sound good. Does guitar fetish make them? Why are they so Cheap? do you have any experience with them? any other info you could tell me would be greaT!!

All of the pickups are made for GFS, under their brand (except the pre-wired pickguards). They're all made in Asia somewhere, and most of the pickups are fairly decent. Some of the hardware is iffy though. The Dream 90's and the Fat Pats are two most common GFS pickups you see around.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
first of all, what amp is he using?

Vox valvetronix vt15
Get the TB version (trembucker) if you go Duncan, not the SH. I recommend a TB-11. I got one for my strat and I think it was $80. A pup change won't be that noticeable on an amp like that but I know you want to do it and I don't blame you.

(F-Spaced for DiMarzio)