Page 1 of 2
Hi there!

I've decided I need a different tone for my punk/alt. band. I currently use an Epiphone Les Paul Special II guitar with a Squier 15 amplifier. I also use a Boss Mega Distortion pedal. I do really love the sound, but maybe a little to metal for me.

I was looking for maybe a new effects pedal, or a more recent amp.

I was looking into the Line 6 Spider IV amp. Please tell me if it's any good, or if you have it, how you like it.

I'm already looking into a Boss Digital Delay pedal.

Any help would be appreciated!
I personally love Line 6 amps and my friend has a spider 4. A ton of people are gonna dis them but their pretty good, especially the newer ones.

I like the spider 4 but get at least a 75 watt because thats when all the better features start comming in (built in loop station and preset distortions on hundreds of bands)
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
Last edited by 100% at Jun 13, 2011,
^no just no

If you need to go with a modelling amp go for a roland cube 30xl(metal&hardrock) or a fender mustang(bluesandcleans)
Quote by 100%
I personally love Line 6 amps and my friend has a spider 4. A ton of people are gonna dis them but their pretty good, especially the newer ones.

I like the spider 4 but get at least a 75 watt because thats when all the better features start comming in (built in loop station and preset distortions on hundreds of bands)

To OP, do you have a budget?
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
look for a better distortion pedal, try the boss power stack or like that krank maximus pedal. as for amps, a 15 watt amp won't sound good try to get a combo... as for line6, they're ok if you need something on a budget that is versitle. if you get a line6 you won't need a distortion pedal...
Don't get a Spider!!!

There are plenty of far better amps you can find used for around the same amount of money a Spider will cost new.

Where are you located? and just how much of a budget are you working with?
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
DONT get the Line 6 spider!!!

What is your budget? Get a Roland Cube 40XL instead. SO much better.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by gateway01
My budget is under $200.

Increase your budget
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
figured you couldn't be more than 13 but suprise, looked at your profile. dude your pushing 40 and use starter pack gear for your band? now i realize that a true punk wouldn't care about top of the line equipment but seriously.
Quote by monwobobbo
figured you couldn't be more than 13 but suprise, looked at your profile. dude your pushing 40 and use starter pack gear for your band? now i realize that a true punk wouldn't care about top of the line equipment but seriously.

^Could just be really broke...

Edit: Checked his pics, he looks 12.

Age is irrelevant though...
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Last edited by Guitarbaddie at Jun 15, 2011,
in all honesty, i think you could easily get a less metal, more punk tone with the equipment you've got, with perhaps a little experimentation with the dials on both the amp and the pedal.
if getting some new gear is something you'd like to do, then i'd be looking at a new amp, personally, and the line 6, which as previously mentioned gets a lot of negative response, will do the job great, and is versatile enough to provide you with options should you want them?

Chapman ML2 x 2
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epi Les Paul Custom (EMG 81/85)
ESP Ltd EC-256 (SH4jb/SH2n)
Jackson DKMG (EMG 81/60)
Epi SG Iommi
Squier Classic Vibes 50's Tele
Ovation MT-37
Peavey 6505+ 112
A modeling amp will probably be your best bet Peavey,Vox,Feander and Line 6 all make diecent amps you should look into. Used you can get some good deals.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
actually, I don't like to hand out my age on the internet. I'm not 40 and I'm not 12. You don't have to know that though.
Quote by monwobobbo

btw this isn't "starter pack gear". It's "I'm on a budget" and "yard sale" gear.
Didn't ur mother evr teach u if u don't have something nice to say don't say it at all?
Last edited by gateway01 at Jun 15, 2011,
The vyper 30, spider 30 and mustang II are all in your price range and will be a major upgrade for you tone wise, and all should work pretty well for the tones you want and will even help you discover some new tones/styles that you may not otherwise learn about.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by gateway01
Wow, so helpful!

He's right though, you can't get something good for under 200 bucks. My advise is save up some cash and buy a decent amp. Maybe a Blackstar HT-20?

add me on the ''get a bigger budget'', you can't get anything for 200 bucks, be it a guitar or an amp. You could get a good distortion pedal however, but that would only be a temporary solution, until you get an amp with an actual good distortion channel. Then, you wouldn't even need that pedal anymore.

I was once in your situation and bought pedals, it helped, and now I have a board with 20 pedals that I don't use anymore.
I think the Mustang II would cut it for you. $200, it's got 40W and a 12" speaker (plenty more available volume than your current amp) and you can set up delay and whatever else you want on it. It has a chromatic tuner built in. If you're a 'tight budget' guy like myself, you have to appreciate those features!

If your budget is STRICTLY under 200, meaning you can't throw out 200 and change for the Mustang II, the Mustang I is only 100 bucks with all the same features except it's 20W with an 8" speaker. You won't gain much of anything volume-wise with it, but the tuner and the available effects/tones you can create might be just what you need.

You could always scout a used Mustang II for under 200 as well. But if you are in a band that 'does it right' (i.e., uses a PA that is good enough to carry the band with a decent mix) you might as well just get the Mustang I and mic it up. It sounds like you already mic your amp up, as I don't see how a 15W Squier would keep up with a punk band un-miked.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Last edited by muso_catolico at Jun 15, 2011,
.......I'm obviously going to have to work this out myself....thanks anyway! (To some of you)

Especially 100% and grassyknolls for not INSULTING ME!

Honestly people, if you don't want to give advice, stay off the forums. PLEASE!
Quote by muso_catolico
I think the Mustang II would cut it for you. $200, it's got 40W and a 12" speaker (plenty more available volume than your current amp) and you can set up delay and whatever else you want on it. It has a chromatic tuner built in. If you're a 'tight budget' guy like myself, you have to appreciate those features!

If your budget is STRICTLY under 200, meaning you can't throw out 200 and change for the Mustang II, the Mustang I is only 100 bucks with all the same features except it's 20W with an 8" speaker. You won't gain much of anything volume-wise with it, but the tuner and the available effects/tones you can create might be just what you need.

You could always scout a used Mustang II for under 200 as well. But if you are in a band that 'does it right' (i.e., uses a PA that is good enough to carry the band with a decent mix) you might as well just get the Mustang I and mic it up. It sounds like you already mic your amp up, as I don't see how a 15W Squier would keep up with a punk band un-miked.

@monwobobbo
Learn from this guy!
Thanks for the great advice!!!!
Quote by gateway01
btw this isn't "starter pack gear". It's "I'm on a budget" and "yard sale" gear.
Didn't ur mother evr teach u if u don't have something nice to say don't say it at all?

yes, did yours? and if you want to go that route then yo need to learn respect for your elders. your date of birth is in your profile it says 1974 if this is inaccurate that's not my fault. and yeah you have starter pack gear despite where you bought it. can your amp even be heard over drums? not trying to be a dick but it's hard to help you when you have gear that really isn't band worthy and you don't want to spend money. if you can't afford a band then wait until you can. being in a band is an expensive proposition. not saying you have to spend a fortune and i'm well versed in the "budget" thing. if you check most of my gear related posts i try hard to be helpful. are you in a band now or just trying toward that goal?
5: Do not be rude: Just because you think the thread starter is stupid, s/he isn't! We all started somewhere, so be nice about it

This is from the rules for this thread. may we please continue with my topic
Last edited by gateway01 at Jun 15, 2011,
I have no idea about American prices but I did a quick skim of Musicians Friend and generally for that price bracket you're going to get recommended something like a Roland Cube, Peavey Vypyr or a Vox Valvetronix which I would say is a pretty good stepping stone. At some point down the line you're going to want to upgrade but for now I think they will suffice. I suggest you go to your nearest store and check out every amp you can afford and buy what you think sounds good to you.
Let's be fair now, John McCrea from Cake uses (and has used) a 15W starter pack amp. Yes, he uses it live. Feist uses the amp I have (Pathfinder 15r.) After all, why on earth are you going to spend thousands on your guitar and amp when the differences will be for the most part unnoticed by your listeners, who WILL notice that the PA sucks and the mix is awful and that same awful mix is too loud?

It's the 2010's, not the 1960's. We have good PA systems now. Small amps can cut it.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
not trying to be rude, but I'm with monwobobbo on this one, you won't be able to get a good sounding and giggable amp for 200$, unless you get lucky while browsing used ads.

muso: yes, PAs can amplify everything and you don't need a loud amp, but chances are you won't ALWAYS be mic'd when you start a band. Also, amplifying an amp through a PA is great, but if the amp sounds bad, then you're amplifying a bad tone. The audience might not realize it's because of the bad amp, but it will realize it sounds bad. And personally, I'd rather play with a tone I like.

If you're going to go with a solid-state amp, I'd recommend going for AT LEAST 65w. I have used a 65w Laney amp, and 65w was barely enough. On this kind of budget, I believe a loud enough amp is going to be hard to find, especially if you want a good sound.
Last edited by Darkflame at Jun 15, 2011,
Quote by Darkflame
muso: yes, PAs can amplify everything and you don't need a loud amp, but chances are you won't ALWAYS be mic'd when you start a band. Also, amplifying an amp through a PA is great, but if the amp sounds bad, then you're amplifying a bad tone. The audience might not realize it's because of the bad amp, but it will realize it sounds bad. And personally, I'd rather play with a tone I like.
I won't disagree that a bad sounding amp ran through a PA will still sound bad, but price is not the determining factor when it comes to tone (and neither is wattage, when a PA setup is involved.)

gateway01 specified that he is looking for a new tone, not an amp that is louder. He said nothing about volume. For all we know, his band already has a PA system he can mic up with.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Threadstarter: Don't double/triple post. Edit your posts, if you need to.

Everyone else: If you feel the need to insult someone else's gear, just don't post instead.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by muso_catolico
I won't disagree that a bad sounding amp ran through a PA will still sound bad, but price is not the determining factor when it comes to tone (and neither is wattage, when a PA setup is involved.)

gateway01 specified that he is looking for a new tone, not an amp that is louder. He said nothing about volume. For all we know, his band already has a PA system he can mic up with.

You're right on this one, he didn't necessarily need something louder. However, I can't see much of an upgrade he could get in tone within 200$...
OP if you are going to play out you need a thicker skin. are you gonna cry if someone at show says you suck (and you know someone will)? look all i was trying to say is that your current gear (including guitar) isn't up to the rigors of gigging and won't sound good. another cheap amp won't help in the long run either. wow the guy from Cake uses a cheap amp but he also has a pro level PA and a pro soundman, do you? my guess no. i'm voicing my opinion as you asked, sometimes the truth isn't what you want to hear but is what you need to hear. fine i've had my say and i'm done. make sure to post a vid of you band to show me i'm wrong.
I say play with what you've got and save until you can get something that's worth it. A Blackstar HT-20 would give you great overdriven tones perfect for punk if you crank it on the clean channel, but also be versatile enough for a lot of everything else. The genuine tube tone will also sound better and more raw than a modeling amp.

Don't settle for low end stuff - save, be patient and get quality stuff the first time.
Last edited by KingV911 at Jun 15, 2011,
Get the mustang II then r guitars can sound the same I'll set the presets for it or u could just borrow my DS-1 and use the Squier
Quote by 100%

No. They're not.

OP, increase your budget and save for something great. Do not TOUCH a spider. Your virgin ears might enjoy the.... "versatility".... at first, but when your ears develop you will realize how terrible a decision you made.

In that same class of amp, you have the Vypyr and the Roland Cube. Both great practice amps.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by monwobobbo
OP if you are going to play out you need a thicker skin. are you gonna cry if someone at show says you suck (and you know someone will)? look all i was trying to say is that your current gear (including guitar) isn't up to the rigors of gigging and won't sound good. another cheap amp won't help in the long run either. wow the guy from Cake uses a cheap amp but he also has a pro level PA and a pro soundman, do you? my guess no. i'm voicing my opinion as you asked, sometimes the truth isn't what you want to hear but is what you need to hear. fine i've had my say and i'm done. make sure to post a vid of you band to show me i'm wrong.

I know my band sucks. Mainly because I use sucky gear and aren't skilled enough. I don't need to prove to you that you are right because you are. But there's no need to throw rocks at me. I can only afford what I can afford and if you were in my spot, you wouldn't have high end equipment either. I would appreciate if you did not continue to post on my thread, please.
Last edited by gateway01 at Jun 17, 2011,
Vox VT 40+ or maybe an Orange Pix Crush 35. I think they are both ~$250 ish so a little more than your budget.

Maybe a Vox VT20+ which is ~$180 ish.

A know a few years back I used to play in a band and use a 30watt Vox Valvetronix and I never had an issue being heard.
Quote by gateway01
I know my band sucks. Mainly because I use sucky gear and aren't skilled enough. I don't need to prove to you that you are right because you are. But there's no need to throw rocks at me. I can only afford what I can afford and if you were in my spot, you wouldn't have high end equipment either. I would appreciate if you did not continue to post on my thread, please.

i'll respond and then leave you be. i'm not throwing rocks at you just trying to prevent others from throwing real ones at your shows. dude if you expect to get gigs then you can't have sucky sound or playing skills plain and simple. not saying you have to be steve vai or have a rock star setup but there is a point where crap just doesn't cut it. why are you in such a hurry if your financal position is so bad? why not just work on your skills and save for better equipment. at that point then worry about a band. i've been to many auditions over the years and the first thing you get asked is about your gear. if it sucks then you better be steve vai cus you won't even get to audition most of the time if they think your gear sucks. sad but true. i have played in bands with less than stellar gear but what i had was at least up to the challenge even if just barely. $200 will get you a used amp like a Peavey Bandit or a Crate of some sort that will be loud enough to gig with but probably not sound any better than OK. look at craigslist etc and perhaps something will turn up. having said that i would still say wait for a bit until things get better $ wise and get something that you can be reasonably proud of instead of just making do with whatever. a better guitar would help as well. there i was pleasant and didn't abuse you, good luck.
Page 1 of 2