So, I'm gonna be getting a new amp soon and I need it for thrash. I got a super low budget ($350 to $400 MAX) so here's what I'm considering:

Peavey Windsor head
Bugera 1990

I've played a Bugera 333XL for a long time now and I really like it, so I'm not worried about any quality control issues from them. As far as I know, both replicate old Marshall amps which, from the few Marshall amps I have played, are great for thrash. Which amp would be better? I'm not looking for crazy high gain obviously, I need a good crunch (Kill 'Em All-type crunch and similar). I know the Windsor isn't known for gain, but would it be good for thrash? Which should I pick; I can't decide AND I can't try them out cuz no stores locally carry them. Let me know!

Thanks,
Skylar
I've heard the Windsor is pretty sweet with a decent overdrive in front of it, I would probably go for a bugera 1990 personally though.
Thanks for the input. I've got a lot of research to do! haha But I'm kind of leaning in that direction currently.
If you're happy to go used maybe try and track down a Crate Blue Voodoo head, they strike a nice balance between a Marshally growl and a tighter, more modern type of high gain tone. Depending on where you are a 2nd hand one should come in well under budget
i saw d.r.i. not long ago and the guitarist had a crate blue vodoo....I think...It had a big chrome crate on the front of the head
a blue voodoo 120h seems to be right up your alley. they sell on the cheap ALL the time. pick one up if u can.

but out of those choices you gave us
the 1990 gets my vote.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
The Windsor is great. It's basically a JCM800, which is the perfect thrash amp. It's a very close circuit to it IIRC.
Grab yourself a Tubescreamer to tighten things up and boost it, and you'll have that early Metallica, and Anthrax tone. I've seen em for $300 all the time. Grab one if find one. If not, the JCA20/50/100h are also great amps. They're like Marshalls on steroids. With a nice OD as a boost and to tighten things up, it's great early Metallica as well.
Last edited by darkwolf291 at Jun 14, 2011,
Quote by Waylanderau
If you're happy to go used maybe try and track down a Crate Blue Voodoo head, they strike a nice balance between a Marshally growl and a tighter, more modern type of high gain tone. Depending on where you are a 2nd hand one should come in well under budget

Please don't buy a Blue Voodoo. That amp is the only one I've ever heard that can sound like a can of bees and completely muddy simultaneously. Of your choices, 1990 seems best.
I have the 1990 and thats exactly what I play. I does roar. With a boost it tightens up real good too.

I won't comment on quality issues yet.

DS
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Your sig lists a Bugera 333XL, do you actually have that amp?

If you do just stick with it and save your money until you can get something that's a real step up.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by colin617
Please don't buy a Blue Voodoo. That amp is the only one I've ever heard that can sound like a can of bees and completely muddy simultaneously. Of your choices, 1990 seems best.

whatever guy.....

i have a blue voodoo and the thing seriously holds its own.
they are great amps for the price.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Quote by iheartgun
whatever guy.....

Cool?
just because you don't like it, doesn't mean that others don't.

cool? good.

anyway

out of all those amps it would be a tough choice between the BV or the 1990
but your best bet would be doing what someone else said. save your money and buy something really nice in the future.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

I'd go with a Peavey Ultra if you can find one. I found my 212 for $275.
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
Quote by iheartgun
whatever guy.....

Crate owner 5!

Granted, they can be a little bright but with a decent set of tubes and a bit of tweaking they pwn.
The Windsor would probably be better. AFAIK, the Windsor is a JCM800 copy, and the 1990 is a JCM900 copy, and the 800's are well known to be much more popular for thrash. The 900 is more a punk-ish type amp.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I honestly don't see the point if you already own a 333XL. That amp does thrash just fine. I'd rather look into upgrading it's speakers if you haven't done so already.

EDIT: Just noticed it's a head. In that case I'd recommend upgrading the cab.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jun 15, 2011,
I have a Blue Voodoo. Great for the price, however I would not recommend it for thrash. It's just too bright.

You can get a full halfstack around the LA for 350 all the time on CL.

If you had a cab already I would look to spend more on a head better to suit your needs for thrash.

Again it's just to bright. It doesn't seem muddy at all though Colin. You just a hater? Jump on the bandwagon?

What ever amp you do get please post some clips!
Quote by darkwolf291
The Windsor is great. It's basically a JCM800, which is the perfect thrash amp. It's a very close circuit to it IIRC.
Grab yourself a Tubescreamer to tighten things up and boost it, and you'll have that early Metallica, and Anthrax tone. I've seen em for $300 all the time. Grab one if find one. If not, the JCA20/50/100h are also great amps. They're like Marshalls on steroids. With a nice OD as a boost and to tighten things up, it's great early Metallica as well.

+1.
JCM800's are the daddy!
Check ebay if you're on a budget..you never know but someone may be shifting one.
Quote by Waylanderau
Crate owner 5!

Granted, they can be a little bright but with a decent set of tubes and a bit of tweaking they pwn.

all they need is a darker set of tubes to compensate for the amps brightness and its a beast of an amp.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Quote by colin617

I'd have to say yer wrong. The BV is the only Crate I'd ever buy, it is one of the cheapest most underated amps ever.
And yes the Windsor is a 800 clone and the 1990 is a 900 clone. Both will do what you need, however most agree that the windsor needs a tube swap imediately, where the bugera sounds pretty good with stock tubes. The windsor is also a 1 ch amp, and the 1990 is a 2ch amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I'd have to say yer wrong. The BV is the only Crate I'd ever buy, it is one of the cheapest most underated amps ever.
And yes the Windsor is a 800 clone and the 1990 is a 900 clone. Both will do what you need, however most agree that the windsor needs a tube swap imediately, where the bugera sounds pretty good with stock tubes. The windsor is also a 1 ch amp, and the 1990 is a 2ch amp

a 100 watts will be a bit much wont it?
Quote by bluestratplayer
Im going to initial the back of every MG in guitarcenter "ZW" and see how many threads come out thinking Zakk Wylde owned thier amp.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Just me and rhino will end in the extinction of a species.
nope. 100 watts is just fine

60 watts is just as loud as 100. 100 watts is more about headroom
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Quote by iheartgun
nope. 100 watts is just fine

60 watts is just as loud as 100. 100 watts is more about headroom

yeah but you still have to crank it more
Quote by bluestratplayer
Im going to initial the back of every MG in guitarcenter "ZW" and see how many threads come out thinking Zakk Wylde owned thier amp.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Just me and rhino will end in the extinction of a species.
Quote by rhino1957
yeah but you still have to crank it more

And there is quit a bit of clean headroom difference between 60 and 100 watts. Most players will never get to crank a 100 watt tube amp. Hell, I play arenas and have never been able to crank one. 45-50 watts is usually perfect.
Last edited by colin617 at Jun 15, 2011,