Hey, my band has more than enough originals written up and nailed as a full band, we're considering going into the studio to record some stuff, but we have too many and don't really know what ones to kick out.

On top of that, I've written a few tracks that I think would be much stronger than some of our stuff, but we haven't tried these new ones with the full band yet.
(They are Next Train Home, Complicated and Highway at http://www.reverbnation.com/the2029)

We realize we should probably have our poppier stuff on the record, but just about everything we write is catchy in one way or another so that doesn't help us narrow it down.

We would like to have just played our originals at some venue and see which ones people like the most, but since we've been pretty much doing that for a while in our local area, pretty much all our originals are well-received here at the moment.

It's seriously doing my head in, I was considering maybe choosing songs which could all be sorta related theme-wise or something, so lyrically it all feels like it flows.

Asides from that, I really don't know, any help would be appreciated.
It depends what the purpose of the recording is. If the band is just a hobby and the recording is something you're mainly doing for yourself then record whichever ones you like best.

On the other hand, if the recordings are going to be sold or given away to build a fan base, then you need to pick the songs your fans like the most. Not all your songs are going to be equally as catchy and not all of them are going to be equally as popular. If you really can't tell which ones are catchy then ask your friends, ask people at gigs, ask anyone who's heard your music. Usually the best/catchiest ones will be the ones they actually remember.

Similarly, try paying extra attention to which songs go down the best with your audience, because some are definitely going down better than others.

Also, think about the image you want to project. If you want to become well known as a metal band then don't fill half your CD with stuff that is definitely not metal. The tracks don't all have to sound the same, you just want to create a cohesive product. Think about what sort of impression the songs you choose to record will create on someone listening to it for the first time. Is it the impression you want?
Quote by 12345abcd3
On the other hand, if the recordings are going to be sold or given away to build a fan base, then you need to pick the songs your fans like the most. Not all your songs are going to be equally as catchy and not all of them are going to be equally as popular. If you really can't tell which ones are catchy then ask your friends, ask people at gigs, ask anyone who's heard your music. Usually the best/catchiest ones will be the ones they actually remember.

I agree. To say that the audience likes all your songs equally would just indicate that you're not paying enough attention to the audience when you're playing.

As for this:

Quote by 12345abcd3
Also, think about the image you want to project. If you want to become well known as a metal band then don't fill half your CD with stuff that is definitely not metal.

Your band will always sound like your band. If you claim to be a metal band but your music doesn't sound metal, you're not a metal band. Pretty simple.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Cool, some good advice here.. yeah we have a couple of songs now that people sing along too, but every time we do a new one we get people coming up to us saying "that new song was awesome" and stuff like that, so it makes us hard to tell.

The ones people sing along too are ones we've been doing for months so it's been drilled into their heads, which makes me think it only goes down because of repetition not because it's a great song..

Then again, we can always keep whatever we don't use for things in the future and what not, we'll definitely have to keep our eyes and ears out and be more aware of what songs are going down the best for a couple of weeks before we decide.

I didn't think it was going to be this tough to choose, but since we want to limit our demo down to like 4 songs, well, we've got over a dozen at the moment. :/

We also haven't put any thought into what genre we are or what genre we want to be, we just say "rock" since it covers everything we do in one way or another.

Thanks for the help fellas.
I would just get a second opinion from a couple close friends, take a vote in the band, or get a producer .

^^^ @ your above post, don't worry about genre labels, you'll fit where you'll fit when people start to recognize you with your particular sound. If "rock" is working for now, just leave it at that.
Put in $100, get an Mbox, and make some cheap demos of all your music cheap with a decent enough quality to really compare them, either by yourselves or with outside sources. Don't invest all that money into the studio without a fairly concrete idea of what you're planning on doing.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.