Page 1 of 2
So I realize that I need a guitar that will take care of the rest of the rock spectrum my tele is not built for (punk rock to Coheed and Cambria). I've always wanted a Gibson since I started playing, and I'm starting to think this is the perfect time to either get one, or save towards a top end one. And this is where the problem lies.

Should I save for a Les Paul Custom, or go with a Junior? I know the Junior is less valuable in the long run, and less versatile, but it's also about 1/4th the price.

I'm really looking for people who have owned Customs and could weigh in on whether or not they're worth the price tag.

For the record, my tele will get me from Mayer to Zepplin, I need to get from there to rock/hardcore punk/ect/ect.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

I haven't owned a custom. But one pf my friends does, it is killer!!! Well worth the extra imo
if you want a les paul and are worried about the price in any way, would just wouldn't buy a gibson. there are other brands that make quality single cut guitars for way less money.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
well, the standard Jrs have P90's, and the Les Paul customs typically have humbuckers. So, do you want a humbucker or P90? P90's are unlike any other single coil. They are much thicker, much warmer than your typical tele. I love my Les Paul 54' Reissue with P90's. I think they are the ultimate pickup, but then again I love my other humbucking guitars too. It is all personal preference. Go try some out!
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

the custom and jr are kind of an odd point to choose. i have played a few customs, and they are amazing, i remember liking the 198? Custom better than the newer one a played at GC a few weeks ago.

how about a happy medium?

Les Paul Traditional or Standard? there are several versions and they are all very high quality guitars, on par with the customs? NO. but certainly better than a Jr.

also one P90 v. two buckers
$800 v. $4,000

seems like you just want to get your hands on a Gibby.

i own six of them, they are on my profile.

but i would
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
What's the difference between a Custom, a Standard, and a Traditional? Aside from the higher build quality of a Custom.

Quote by bogg808

Quote by mcraddict81592
What's the difference between a Custom, a Standard, and a Traditional? Aside from the higher build quality of a Custom.

The build quality of my SG is unbelievable. Definitely close behind my Les Paul. My ES-137, on the other hand, has the worst build quality out of all my guitars. It isn't bad, but the binding has some cracking only after a few years. Either way, i think most Gibson's are built very well. But a Les Paul studio just doesn't feel like a custom.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

go out and try them. You would be crazy to be spending that kind of money on a guitar you have not seen or played. i have played many les paul's and there have only been a handful which have been brilliant the rest were not worth the price tag.

The best sounding les paul i have played so far was a traditional but again I'll stress, it is a pretty rare thing to find a great les paul first go round. shop around ALOT before you pick one. and take the one you were playing in the store, a new one from the factory will most likely sound and play very differently.
Quote by mcraddict81592

A Custom has the double binding, a bound head stock, the fretboard is ebony, hardware is usually gold and the arch body cap is mahogany (so the guitar is mainly mahogany).
Since 2008 the Standards have had routed bodies (mass reduction), single binding, nickel hardware, rosewood fretboard and a maple body cap. I think the neck is recessed further into the body in order to increase sustain.
A Traditional is the same as a Standard except the body is not routed, so it's based on the Standard pre-08.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
I have a Custom and believe me it is definitely worth saving up for. They sound better than the others. I have played various Customs and A/B'd them Standards and other CS models and the Customs generally always come out on top

Get a 68RI (not from GC though) They have all the features of the reissues (long neck tenon, solid body (no weight relief) etc..) except they have a maple top rather than mahogany and USA wiring (which is easy enough to change.) You can get them for less than $3500 new.

I am not affiliated with them but contact Eddie's Guitars and ask for Brett. He cut me a brilliant deal. Just say George Skelly (guitarbob123) told you about a 68RI and he'll see you get a good deal and pick out a nice one for you. He's still got them in stock now I think.

Even if you don't go for the Custom, I'd still contact Eddie's Guitars. Thier customer service is second to none and they offer amazing prices.
Last edited by digman50 at Jun 14, 2011,
Quote by mcraddict81592

I'd imagine that the Customs would be more consistent. If you're serious about a Gibby, Chris you really need to try them. I was looking a while back and there was a pretty noticeable difference in the various LP's there. I actually ended up liking the studio they had there more than the Standards / Traditionals.

Was it the P90's that were drawing you to the Jr's?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

I could never play a Studio, Les Pauls need block inlays.

I'm leaning towards the Traditional because I don't like the chambered, but I'm gonna give the R7/8/9 a serious look, how big is the price jump for those?

Quote by bogg808

If it absolutely needs to say Gibson on the headstock then I'd suggest looking at used as well. You could SOME money that way
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
I'm assuming you mean save some money, and I'm intending to go used. I have no intention of giving my money to the current owners of Gibson...

Quote by bogg808

Quote by mcraddict81592
I could never play a Studio, Les Pauls need block inlays.

I'm leaning towards the Traditional because I don't like the chambered, but I'm gonna give the R7/8/9 a serious look, how big is the price jump for those?

Well, the R7's and R8's are both $3,699.00 USD but the R8 can be more depending on the finish.

The R9's on the other hand run at about $5,699.00 depending on the finish.

Personally I love R7's and R8's way more than the R9.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

Quote by kracdown

Why's that? And why are the R9's so much more?

Quote by bogg808

Quote by mcraddict81592
Why's that? And why are the R9's so much more?

I personally like the thicker necks, which the R9 doesn't have. I asked a similar question in one of my threads: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1446418&page=2&pp=20

I asked:

Quote by kracdown
what are the key differences in the R7's, R8's, and R9's?

then I got the reply, which i believe is correct:

Quote by KenG
R7's are generally goldtops and have beefy necks, R8's are burst with beefy necks, R9's are bursts with slightly less beefy necks.
In VOS an R7, R8 Plain Top or R9 Plain Top should be the same price. Gloss models (in plaintop) are around $300 more. Then if you go to plus tops you can add up to $2000+
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

every custom ive ever played was absolutly amazing.

but it also depends on age/future plans and all since 4k is alot of money. because id be saving up for one too if i didnt have to worry about buying a car, car insurance, gas, and university.

id say maybe a tradtional pro? im currently GASing for one, and will probably get one at the end of the year. check it out, and its literally half the price of the custom too. ive also heard barely any bad things about the guitar.

btw you reignited my GAS for an LPC
Last edited by Seanthesheep at Jun 14, 2011,

Mmmmm.

Quote by bogg808

dude, get some kind of Goldtop Les Paul (57' or some other Limited Edition or whatever). everyone needs a Goldtop... they give you powers.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

Last edited by kracdown at Jun 14, 2011,
Meh, not really my style.

Quote by bogg808

oh, well then. I would get an R8 if I were you. Gibson makes R7 Custom's, but they are black with gold hard wear. I'm not sure if that is your style, it's definitely not mine.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

I would enjoy an R8, but it's quite a bit o' cash for me.

Quote by bogg808

i was quite happy with the trad pro i played today. far from being on par with the customs or R7/R8/R9's. it had a really nice feel to it. pleking is always nice, seemed like a solid guitar all around. but i would still get a custom if i had the cash to priortize a LP Custom.

my funds are going into amps atm.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If you can't find a solid one used, then go for a new or used Traditional.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

On good news?

they all come in red.

That said, IMO, custom, standard, traditional, classic, just doesn't matter. The people and machines that made the 80s standards now make the customs and custom shop vos guitars.

But. They all feel different, because they all are. Neck angles, profiles, pups, chambered, weight relieved, solid etc.

The best paul for the money right now new is the r7. They price dropped to $2800 ish. So there's that option.

Used customs go for $2000-2500. Pretty much any year after the early 70s.

Norlins can go for less. Don't let that scare you, some norlins are crazy good, even the pancake bodies. Customs included.

Now older used standards and classics can be had cheap too. My old standard was $200 more than a new studio, and I think it plays every bit as well as a new custom. My friend that has a new custom, 2010, agrees.

But its Gibson so lets just say its best to play a bunch and see which one says, start the car, we're going home now. Honestly.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What are these "Norlins"?

Quote by bogg808

Chris get an Agile AL-3000
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by lbj273
Chris get an Agile AL-3000

Here we go again
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Better than my plan, look at those perfect little dick suckin' lips!
Kid's a natural I tell yah!Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Fender Mexican Standard Telecaster
Hey I built a guitar
Quote by mcraddict81592

Norlin was the company that owned Gibson when they annoyed everyone, cut corners and used balsa wood and off cuts of spruce to make their guitars. Badly.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
I'd seriously consider a Traditional Pro. It's the middle ground of the price range of the two guitars you listed. (IIRC, they're a little under 2 grand.) Either way, the ones I've played have all felt and sounded fantastic.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
That's actually at the top of my list right now. It's just a matter of going out and finding one I like (and getting the cash together).

Quote by bogg808

i guess im the only person that has never been impressed by the Customs. All the ones ive played just felt...stiff. Like i was having to fight it to play it. If im paying 4 grand for a guitar, it should levitate, play itself, make dinner and have a choir of angels come down everytime i hit a chord. Not feel like im struggling to play it.
I just wanted to bring you back to your opening post where you said should I go for a Junior or save for the Custom. Seems to me - and I'm not being a psychologist type smart ass! - but it seems you're already thinking of saving for the Custom as that's what you really want. By reading that post that's what I got from it anyway.

So I say, save that extra bit and get what you really want. Kinda answered your own question. Like I say I hope don't come across as a knob but go for what you want.

And Gibson had QA probs in the past but that's pretty much sorted these days. Higher end is gonna get you a mighty Gibby and the smile on the face you are looking for.
i would get a custom built guitar if i was spending 3000 on it. you could get a guitar made exactly to your specs and IMO be way happier with it. but that's just me. if one of those lp's IS exactly what you want then go for it
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by mcraddict81592

"On Dec 19, 1969 Ecuadorian Company Ltd (ECL) bought controlling interest in Chicago Musical Instruments (CMI) which owned Gibson. The new company was named Norlin. Gibson was Norlin's last musical company asset to be sold off, in January 1986."

gibson guitars made during that period. contrary to a lot of gibson BS you see online, the pancake bodies and 3 piece necks started before Norlin.

a friend of mine has a 68 LP deluxe, and it's a pancake body.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by kracdown
Well, the R7's and R8's are both $3,699.00 USD but the R8 can be more depending on the finish.

The R9's on the other hand run at about $5,699.00 depending on the finish.

I know a place (in the US) where you can get brand new R8's or R7's for around $3200 new with warranty from a official Gibson retailer. PM for details.

I'd definitely say there's a massive step up from USA to CS with Gibson. I've played around half a dozen Traditionals and half a dozen R7s and the R7 were all consistently very very good and comfortable to play. A couple of the Traditionals were good but the rest were heavby and nothing special tone-wise, they certainly weren't worth the cost whereas the R7s were. The R8s I've played have all been similar to R7s.

I currently have a Les Paul Custom 68RI.

R9's have a flame maple top so cost more, plus they have had more famous players as such. Real 58 Les Pauls had flamed tops, and real 59s had plain tops, just something gibson have changed on the reissues.
Page 1 of 2