Alright, so, I've noticed on my friend's old (7 years old) guitar. In the years she has had it, it was in the basement. She just recently came to me and asked if I could fix it up. I checked the wires and such, cleaned off about 3 inches of dirt, scrubbed the fretboard for six hours... But, one thing that bothers me. The pickups. They look as though they're rusted. I tried out the guitar (Fender Squier Bullet circa 2000) and it sounded like SHIT. So, I plugged in my Squier (bought circa 2007, before the change) and it sounded great. Same exact amp settings, same guitar tone, same pickup.

anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to clean the pickups? I looked on google and found a video of a retard scrubbing away at the pickup with an SOS pad (link) and I thought I'd ask the UG community before doing anything drastic.

[mind you, my Squier sat around from 07 - 10 so it wasn't in the greatest shape either, but sounded way better than hers]
Just use the scotch bright pad, it'll work just fine, might take the pickups out of the pickguard and remove the pickup cover so you don't tear it up.

It's just metal poles, you can't hurt them. Just be careful to not and tear the windings, since it's very thin wire.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Just use the scotch bright pad, it'll work just fine, might take the pickups out of the pickguard and remove the pickup cover so you don't tear it up.

It's just metal poles, you can't hurt them. Just be careful to not and tear the windings, since it's very thin wire.

Alright, thanks man. Before the comma I was like, but then I read the rest and

Thanks.