So I was planning to start learning how to play the bass guitar this summer because I just love the way it sound. However, there is no place around me that offers bass guitar lessons. So my questions is that Is it possible to learn how to play the bass decently using online sources/books/videos? If so, which?

Also, does anyone know a good site or link where I can get a beginner bass guitar + amp that doesn't cost too much?

Finally, is it okay if I start to learn the bass guitar on my own with no previous guitar experience whatsoever?

Any/all replies will be VERY MUCH appreciated!!
What is "doesn't cost too much" exactly?
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
I don't really play bass much myself, just guitar. But I haven't had any lessons myself, I learnt by reading tabs off the internet and just gradually building up the difficulty of what I could play. So I assume you'd be fine doing the same.
Not really the person to ask for advice on bass guitar models, sorry.
Thats fine, it's how I started out along with most other people I guess.
^ you misspelled learned. Check local listings for a used amp and bass, people give up and sell them dirt cheap. You can learn from online resources alone easily.
Yes! You can be a decent player without a teacher, its just harder.

I started with learning others' songs then learned to sight read, along with an assload of theory.

I would get yourself a book that says from beginner to advanced students, and a metronome, then work your way through it with the metronome. Of course, do that after learning the songs you like.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
peavey is and always will be my favorite low end guitar manufacturer. my first guitar was a peavey, and I have played a couple of low end peavey basses and amps. they are solid pieces of gear.

squier, ibanez and yahmaha are also nice.

you can definately learn bass by yourself. musictheory.net and studybass.something are great resources.
no sir away a papaya war is on
^That. And another sight which is literal free lessons is dmanlamius.com.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Quote by the_perdestrian
peavey is and always will be my favorite low end guitar manufacturer. my first guitar was a peavey, and I have played a couple of low end peavey basses and amps. they are solid pieces of gear.

I agree. I love my Zodiac. Hence the avatar.

I just kept an eye out for an old bass for sale to learn on originally and ended up picking up an old Jazz Bass at a flea market. It turned out to be a vintage model that plays very nicely but I don't think that happens very often. Unless you know what you're looking for in advance or just want to try it out and don't care much what it sounds like at first, it'd probably be best to go for one that you can at least look up reviews for. If you don't care much what it sounds like or don't mind fixing something up a bit, I have a two year old low end purple thing laying around that I was considering sticking on ebay for parts or a project or something. It's not falling apart it probably just needs tweaking and I've never really adjusted one myself and already have two other decent Basses to use.

So far I am also self taught but I've been planning to find a teacher to check on my technique etc. just in case, even if it's only for an hour or two. If you grab something like Bass Guitar for Dummies, it covers all the basics, a couple of slightly more advanced things, and it comes with a CD so you can hear if you're doing it right. I still use my copy as a reference sometimes.
I am not much of a bass player at all myself. but most people who take up an instrument, that I know, dont actually take lessons. they just play it on their own and learn what they need through experiencing it. online videos and tabs will also help. also learn to read music, it helps a lot.
I've been playing for around a year now without lessons and am pretty decent if I do say so myself. The main method I've used to learn have been to download YouTube vids of people playing the songs and studying them over and over. I prefer this method to using tabs because you can't get the rhythm through reading a tab. I will resort to tabs on the rare occasions that I can't tell what's being played though. As for good rigs that come fairly cheap, Peavey and Squier would be my recommendations as that's what I currently own.
Sure, there is nothing wrong with being self taught... although nobody is ever truly self taught. We all pick up little bits here and there from diffrent sources. Hell just by listening to a new song, your still learning something new.

Several great instructors is IMO the best way to go. I say several because everyone has a diffrent view on certin things. Getting several opinions gives you options on which peice of information you can use or disregard... and by doing this it helps you form your own opinions and helps you to really think about what they are talking about.

If instructors are out of the question, books, DVDs, the internet are all great resources. Like the instructors getting and absorbing as many diffrent opinions and views as possible will only help you in the long run.

There are world class musicans who have learned every way imaginable, the best advise I can give you is find the one that works best for you. If your a hands-on/visual learner get a DVD or an instructor. If your self motivated and like to read get some books and check out some things online. Or do what I do, and mix and match... talk to other musicans, read books, watch/listen to anything you can.
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Thanks for the support everyone. I think I've decided to learn from watching others online and reading lesson books/online sources. My only problem now is that there is not a single guitar/music store near my home. Are there any actual websites that are good for beginner bass/amp? I'm not sure if I can trust Amazon . com
Pawn shops are actually good for finding beginner stuff. As well as craigslist and ebay.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Quote by deadlyboredom
Thanks for the support everyone. I think I've decided to learn from watching others online and reading lesson books/online sources. My only problem now is that there is not a single guitar/music store near my home. Are there any actual websites that are good for beginner bass/amp? I'm not sure if I can trust Amazon . com

I've never had an issue with Amazon, that is where I buy all my books, ect...

If you know exactly what you want Amazon, Ebay, Guitar-Center, musicans freind, ect... are all great options. Craigs-list is a good one too, you can find some great deals on there.
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
There are a lot of websites that sell instruments and equipment which would probably know more about them and generally have more experience than Amazon. I don't think I've had any Amazon related issues before, but then I've only ever bought books from it. There's always eBay if you want to chance it. Looking at the feedback of the seller helps.
Haha, well I do like Amazon and it's never failed me before, but I don't really know how reliable buying a guitar is. About how much should I pay for my first guitar? Does anyone have any direct links to a good deal?