my problem with alot of the distortion pedals i've found - the ones that people claim to be versatile and have everything under the sun - usually don't do metal. i'm looking for a pedal that can cover a light blues all the way to metal. doesn't need to be the most gain in the planet, but it at least has to have enough balls to pull pinch harmonics.
Dream rig:
Marshall JCM900 Amp
Boss Fender 65 dlx reverb pedal
Noise gate
MXR EQ
Boss Dynamic wah
Boss Harmonist
Ibanez Echo/delay
Dean Custom 350
Dean XMNT V-shape
what's ur budget? And what type of metal? old school metal like Black Sabbath or modern metal like Lamb Of God, Meshuggah etc?
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
like the modern stuffs like lamb of god, hatebreed, pantera, slayer, and all that, but again i'm not looking for the most gain in the world. that's not necessarily what makes u heavy. mark morton doesn't even crank his gain all the way up on his amps
Dream rig:
Marshall JCM900 Amp
Noise gate
MXR EQ
Boss Dynamic wah
Boss Harmonist
Ibanez Echo/delay
Dean Custom 350
Dean XMNT V-shape
the keeley modded ds-1 looks promising
Dream rig:
Marshall JCM900 Amp
Noise gate
MXR EQ
Boss Dynamic wah
Boss Harmonist
Ibanez Echo/delay
Dean Custom 350
Dean XMNT V-shape
you might be asking for a bit much. finding a distortion pedal that does metal shouldn't be an issue at all unless what you mean is an overdrive. a distortion pedal that does modern metal probably will be to dirty even turned down for light blues (or won't do it well.)

if you mean an overdrive try the digitech hardwire tube overdrive. has 2 modes, the first does the tubescreamer thing the second adds more gain. even through the clean channel of my amp the 2nd mode when the gain knob is turned way up gives a pretty good distortion sound.
If you have the money to spare... I can only think of one:

The ToneCzar OpenHaus.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
If you have the money to spare... I can only think of one:

The ToneCzar OpenHaus.

now that's a pedal! only thing is it is expensive as hell.....
Dream rig:
Marshall JCM900 Amp
Noise gate
MXR EQ
Boss Dynamic wah
Boss Harmonist
Ibanez Echo/delay
Dean Custom 350
Dean XMNT V-shape
how's the Visual Sound's Jekyl and Hyde work for modern metal?
Dream rig:
Marshall JCM900 Amp
Noise gate
MXR EQ
Boss Dynamic wah
Boss Harmonist
Ibanez Echo/delay
Dean Custom 350
Dean XMNT V-shape
I have the J&H and you can get a lot of gain out of it. To me it sounds like you can do modern metal. But I'm not that decerning about tones in that genre. I even considered suggesting the J&H instead of the M5.
Boss ST-2. I don't really like Boss distortion pedals too much but from the demos this one sounds nice and versatile. Affordable too, $100.

A MI Audio Crunchbox is nice too.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by Kear Bear
the keeley modded ds-1 looks promising
This... except, you don't have to pay that much to get a DS-1 that sounds good.

Just get a used working DS-1 -- should be very cheap as they are $40 new -- and look up the LED mod. It's as simple as opening the pedal up and wiggling two red LEDs on the board until they break off. It GREATLY improves the pedal and gives it a much larger range of tones.

If you don't like it, you would be able to sell it for as much as you got it for. It's worth a shot.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
i was going to say the J&H, also, maybe check out the Ibanez Jemini? Seems like the flavor is a bit different but could be interesting.
yeah i might try the LED mod on a ds-1. sounds extremely cheap. if it fails i might have enough for Mr. Hyde lol. i looked at the jemini and got mixed reviews as far as metal goes. oh btw i've found a boss distortion/feedbacker. that might be something fun to play with lol. maybe if i get this or ds-1 and LED mod it, it might have just enough balls to produce pinch harmonics.
Dream rig:
Marshall JCM900 Amp
Noise gate
MXR EQ
Boss Dynamic wah
Boss Harmonist
Ibanez Echo/delay
Dean Custom 350
Dean XMNT V-shape