I have just ordered an ENGL Pro cabinet 4X12 240W(slanted). Just wanted to ask if the slanted version would have any drawbacks to recording quality compared to the straight version? Not in terms of actual sound output, but due to the slightly unsymmetrical design?? Or am I just paranoid? Thanks in advance!!
All my recordings done here were recorded through an Orange 4x12 with a slanted front.

Doesn't sound any different in my opinion.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by Mopy
All my recordings done here were recorded through an Orange 4x12 with a slanted front.

Doesn't sound any different in my opinion.

Nice! Was the cab miced up and recorded that way? I see alot of people using amp sims but I would rather the true sound of a tube amp.
Last edited by Megadeth09 at Jun 14, 2011,
Quote by Megadeth09
Nice! Was the cab miced up and recorded that way? I see alot of people using amp sims but I would rather the true sound of a tube amp.

Yup, miced with an sm57, no post editing or anything.

Was using all the gear listed in my sig.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Shouldn't matter. Maybe, potentially if you're miking from a distance in a big room MAYBE will it SLIGHTLY affect your tone. But nah, no worries.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Mopy
Yup, miced with an sm57, no post editing or anything.

Was using all the gear listed in my sig.

Very nice! I have heard most of the big bands record simply by micing up their amps/cabs. Did you have any problems with ambient noise from the surrounding environment?
Quote by Megadeth09
Very nice! I have heard most of the big bands record simply by micing up their amps/cabs. Did you have any problems with ambient noise from the surrounding environment?

Surprisingly no, although I had the curtains drawn over the windows which were directly behind and to one side of the cab. It also helps to put a fairly plush(?)/padded rug under the cab and mic stand.

Aside from that, have the mic gain up as high as possible without the mic clipping (you'll see a red light on the Fast Track box if it does) and you'll be sweet.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Shouldn't matter. Maybe, potentially if you're miking from a distance in a big room MAYBE will it SLIGHTLY affect your tone. But nah, no worries.

I was just thinking it because the positioning of the speakers would be slightly "off" compared to a straight cab. How far do most people position their mics? The examples I have seen all mic it fairly close(about a hand's length away?).
Quote by Megadeth09
I was just thinking it because the positioning of the speakers would be slightly "off" compared to a straight cab. How far do most people position their mics? The examples I have seen all mic it fairly close(about a hand's length away?).

I like to have the mic at distance from the knuckle of my pointer to the tip of my finger on the grill cloth. Slightly angled towards the cone on the opposite of the speaker. (I know it sounds quite stupid, although it produces a sound that I find quite pleasing).

The rule of thumb is, the further away the mic is, the bigger it will sound. Although the further away, the less clarity you will have.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by Mopy
I like to have the mic at distance from the knuckle of my pointer to the tip of my finger on the grill cloth. Slightly angled towards the cone on the opposite of the speaker. (I know it sounds quite stupid, although it produces a sound that I find quite pleasing).

The rule of thumb is, the further away the mic is, the bigger it will sound. Although the further away, the less clarity you will have.

How far is far? I'm assuming a few meters?
Quote by Megadeth09
How far is far? I'm assuming a few meters?

Trust me, you'll know when it's too far.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Quote by ethan_hanus
^ I prefer a mic position of about 1 1/2 inches from the grill cloth about 2 inches from the center of the cab with the mic pointed at the cone of the speaker at a 45 degree angle and at a slightly downward angle.

What amp/cab are you using?
Surprisingly no, although I had the curtains drawn over the windows which were directly behind and to one side of the cab. It also helps to put a fairly plush(?)/padded rug under the cab and mic stand.

Aside from that, have the mic gain up as high as possible without the mic clipping (you'll see a red light on the Fast Track box if it does) and you'll be sweet.

------------------

TaylorMade R11
Callaway Diablo Edge Irons
TaylorMade Burner SuperFast