So, my pastor gave me this great idea, since I'm jobless and can't find a job doing anything useful; I could buy el cheapo guitars, and use my knowledge of modification and set up skills to make them mean machines, and then sell them for a profit.

I'm very skilled at modifying Squiers, and know some pawn shops where I could pick them up for around $40 each. I'd use Guitarfetish to buy some new pickups, tuners, and or new nut and saddles. And sell it for around $200-$300. I'd make sure the guitar was gig worthy by taking it with me and playing it in my youth group band and my Sunday service band. And if it holds up, I'd sell it.

Anybody think this is a good idea? The music scene here is very strong right now, and I know lots of people that would like some good reliable cheap guitars.
that sounds like a good way to make money

you could also fix and set up peoples guitar that way if they cant afford a new guitar you could offer to fix up their current one
I'd go for it - a mate did the same and paid his way through college doing just that.

He's got a "proper" job now, but still does all his own tech and mod work.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
You could also buy separate parts and chuck them all together to make some custom cool stuff. That's something I've been thinking about doing for a while now, but haven't quite gotten round to. If you can do this as a serious job now, then it'd be great for you if you ever want to work as a full time professional guitar tech!
I agree: go for it. It's good to be enterprising, and this sounds like a pretty solid way to make a buck.

I also agree with supersac and what he/she said about fixing up/fixing other people's current gear. I'm sure it would be cheaper than Guitar Center.
its a cool idea, but i hate to say, few people are going to spend 300 bucks on a used squier.
I was thinking of doing this, but in the long run I wouldn't put new pups in unless its a high end guitar, you wouldn't make any money on it.
Running through:

Engl Fireball
Engl Slanted Cab
Ibanez Xiphos
Schecter C-1 FR Black
Ibanez GRG (on its way)

Pedals:
Boss Noise Gate, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, Boss Tuner, Zakk Wylde Wah.
another thing, if you are willing to fix up peoples' current gear for a good price that would be awesome. I know the guitar shop I go to charges fifty bucks to swap out the pickups for you. You have the potential to make some good cash with this.
Gear:
Fender Classic Series 50's Strat
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Looks like Harry Potter about to fly an old biplane. A lady killer, but the ladies cannot figure out which state he's from - Indiana, or Pennsylvania?
Owns the under 5'2" hotties.
I started doing that, but I got so attached to the guitars I've never managed to sell any. Hence why I have so many lying around my house.
Hell, if you repair other people's guitars, you could charge £20 (about $40) for just replacing a switch.
RIP Adam
I doubt you'd make very much cash doing this. Whenever you build a guitar you end up spending about as much on parts as you would buying a new guitar, any of the GB&C guys would tell you the same thing. Plus, I don't think many people would pay $300 for a used Squier jazzed up with off-brand parts. I know Guitar Fetish makes some great stuff for the price, but the average guitarist doesn't know that. At the end of the day it's still a used Squier with off-brand parts with a $300 price tag.

I dig the idea though. You'd probably be better off modding other people's guitars to how they want them or doing repair work.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Why not just charge people for setups. £20 a pop for something basic. Try and get 5 or 6 in a week, happy days.

Also, I've noticed a lot of people playing in Church bands or whatever. What does that mean? Do you just play normal rock or whatever or is it Jesus based? I think this is an American phenomenon that has bypassed me as a Brit.

Is it this, cos even my filthy hell-bound atheist bones are up for some of that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1KZKZs-2YM
Last edited by Duv at Jun 16, 2011,
Quote by Duv
Why not just charge people for setups. £20 a pop for something basic. Try and get 5 or 6 in a week, happy days.

Also, I've noticed a lot of people playing in Church bands or whatever. What does that mean? Do you just play normal rock or whatever or is it Jesus based? I think this is an American phenomenon that has bypassed me as a Brit.

Is it this, cos even my filthy hell-bound atheist bones are up for some of that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1KZKZs-2YM

To answer your church band question, its different depending on what kind of church you're in. I don't personally attend church anymore, but when I did it was one of the first chances I had to play in front of a live audience. In my church it was just a guitar and piano accompanying the chorus, so kinda boring, but my friend is a drummer and his church band is an actual band that covers christian rock and sometimes other "church friendly" rock music for the younger generation in the congregation. I would probably agree with you that its mostly an american thing. Trust me, its not THAT exciting - you're not really missing anything.

EDIT: Though I do want to mention its a great way to learn to play in a group and in front of a group and to keep those with a christian mindset motivated to play instruments. I don't want the OP to think I'm insulting them.
Gear:
Fender Classic Series 50's Strat
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Looks like Harry Potter about to fly an old biplane. A lady killer, but the ladies cannot figure out which state he's from - Indiana, or Pennsylvania?
Owns the under 5'2" hotties.
Last edited by JTBach at Jun 16, 2011,
For the record, church bands are not an "American thing" everywhere in America. They're more of a Texas/southern thing.

But as for the question at hand, I've always heard that you don't get your money back when you sell an upgraded used guitar, and you basically eat most of the money you spent on upgrades. So I'm not sure there will be a big market for those Squires.

However, if you really know what you're doing then just become a guitar tech/luthier and work on other people's guitars. Do it for a few people for free and word will spread and then get a few cheap business cards made up. And invest that seed money in tools that you can use forever rather than beat up Squires from the pawn shop. The guy I take my guitars to makes a pretty good living I'm sure and works out of his house with very little overhead.
Last edited by Spud Spudly at Jun 16, 2011,
Quote by Spud Spudly
For the record, church bands are not an "American thing" everywhere in America. They're more of a Texas/southern thing.

But as for the question at hand, I've always heard that you don't get your money back when you sell an upgraded used guitar, and you basically eat most of the money you spent on upgrades. So I'm not sure there will be a big market for those Squires.

However, if you really know what you're doing then just become a guitar tech/luthier and work on other people's guitars. Do it for a few people for free and word will spread and then get a few cheap business cards made up. And invest that seed money in tools that you can use forever rather than beat up Squires from the pawn shop. The guy I take my guitars to makes a pretty good living I'm sure and works out of his house with very little overhead.

It's all over the US they have them at my place in Michigan. It is what it sounds usually a group of college students playing church-themed rock music. The are usually found in non-denominational churches especially mega churches. No offense is intended to the OP that is just what I feel is the most common definition.

Also I'm going to have to go with don't mod mediocre instruments and try to sell them. Get into a repair/set up business and undercut all the stores around you. If you can get the word out and make a name for yourself and undercut your competition you should be good. Those are the key steps, I'm working on making myself into a business and that's what I've been doing (its not guitar related at all but its the same steps).
Quote by nickdohle
its a cool idea, but i hate to say, few people are going to spend 300 bucks on a used squier.

+1,000

its one of those things that seems great on paper, but doesn't work out as you think it would.

i buy/sell/trade gear for a living atm. it can be a huge PITA and i drive all over the place to do trades.

the problem is everything is going great, and you have maxed your resources and nothing is selling or you get stuck with something.

i have gone through 25+ guitars in the last year, and i have managed to increase my net worth by around $8-$1000 not laying out any cash other than reinvestment from sales.

but what doesn't work (and i tried) is buying beat up decent/cheaper guitars and putting work into them and selling them for profit. sure you may make $20 but its not worth your (or my) time. i did that on three guitars, made between $10-$30 on each of them.

what works is buying cheap when people are desperate and sell it when you can in a nondesperate fashion.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
if the base value of the guitar is small, no one will pay extra for it if you hot rod it

using GFS to upgrade it wont put any cheap guitar to $300

you will have to sell the guitar based on your setup skills like fret work more so then the hardware.

people in budgets of $300 or less wont care about fret work or pickups, as long as it looks good or shaped in the style they want.