Hello,
I don't normally play bass, but when I do I need it for recording.
As it turns out, the strings that came with the bass cannot handle being in C Standard tuning.
I need new strings, you're going to provide me the advice that I need.
Problem is, I need this bass in E Standard as well as Drop D. There's no way in hell that I'm going to switch strings every time I want to play in a different tuning.

To put it bluntly,
What guage strings do I need to play in E and C Standard?

Thanks,
--timbit
..I was watching my death.
Thats quite a drop. If basses are like guitars, and i believe they are =0 you're going to need to get a set up to play C standard. (A set up involves changing the angling of the truss rod, not just a string gauge change)

If you want to play in E standard and C standard I think you're going to need 2 different basses, each set up for the tuning you want them in. Drop D isn't a problem, but taking all the strings down/up two whole steps is quite a lot of tension change.
EDIT: that guy is right too ^^^

You're not going to find a set of strings that do both well. Simple as that.

You have three options (except buying another bass for a seperate tuning):
1.You could get a set of strings that would work in D standard and tune them up and down, but they would be great for neither tuning.
2.You could buy a standard set and have Spagetti strings in C standard.
3.A heavy set for C tuning but that would possibly cause problems with your neck in E standard.

Your choice of one of the above
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Last edited by gilly_90 at Jun 14, 2011,
You could do C tuning and then capo at the fourth fret for E, but you'll be losing the potential for open string timbre, and depending on how high you go, you might just run right off the fretboard. Its a possibility though, without having to get another bass, or do any potential damage to your instrument.
I know how to set up a guitar. I do it all the time.
I suppose I'll have to buy a set for C Standard and one for E Standard.
What guage of string is reccomended for C Standard?
I'd go for a set of strings with a .120 low C if I could find one. You cold go for a .125 or a .115 depending on what kind of tension you like.

I usually like a medium amount of tension, some people on this forum like amazingly tense strings. I also know someone who uses standard gauge strings in drop B, though that needs a good set-up and I still find it unplayable.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I like the "twangy" sound in a bass, so I'm assuming medium tension.

It may be worth mentioning, I'm using the bass for a couple of Venom covers. Bloodlust currently. I am somewhat emulating the shittiness of the sound if you know what I mean. I'm not calling Venom shitty, I'm calling their recording quality shitty and I like that. No bullshit post-processing. I am a Sound Engineer though, so I do whatever the client wants.
I play in drop A with a 40 -100 set. With the right setup you can use any gauge strings, it just comes down to personal preference of string tension and tone. Personally, I like the lighter tension as I can fly up and down the neck; it does require a good technique to stop the strings farting out though.

I would recommend a 110 set, that would mean that you wouldn't need to keep setting up your bass each time you switch tuning. String sets designed for drop tuning go over top so you can use them for a standard tuning. (e.g. Rotosound Drop Zones are 130.)

(The set up aspect also depends on how good you bass is.)
I definately don't want any "farting". I don't exactly have good technique as I only use a bass on recordings so there's no need to learn to play correctly.

The bass is a shitty Silvertone starter bass. The neck is slightly warped, unless I'm doing something wrong.