What's the difference between them? They both have the same pickups (Alnico Classic Humbuckers). The only thing I see different is that the G-400 is a little more expensive (at least where I live) and that the '66 reissue has a nicer pickguard

1966 SG:

G-400 SG:

*Also, what color do you think is the nicest: the cherry-red thingy, the classic black, or the shiny sliverburst?
The '66 reissue is a G-400, and they cost the same on Musician's Friend
http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/productDetail/productDetail.jsp?entProductId=512455
http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-g-400-sg-electric-guitar

Looks like the pickguard is the only difference, and the '66 is available in silverburst.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I know that only the '66 is available in silverburst, but: What colour should I get ?

I CAN'T MAKE MY MIND
Quote by azot
I know that only the '66 is available in silverburst, but: What colour should I get ?

I CAN'T MAKE MY MIND

i think in that situation it's probably better for you to just go to a shop and try out a bunch of epi SGs and buy whichever one of those SGs you liked best (not the model/colour, but the actual guitar), because the colour or the shape of the pickguard are hardly significant to the tone, the feel and the playability of the guitar to any noticable extent. if you can't make up your mind about cosmetic differences you're best off taking the substancial differences into consideration, of which there are not many between the models in general but you will find some differences between individual guitars.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
It's the same damn guitar ffs, I simply can't decide which colour to buy it in...

EDIT: Same pickups, electronics, wood, everything
Quote by azot
It's the same damn guitar ffs, I simply can't decide which colour to buy it in...

EDIT: Same pickups, electronics, wood, everything

well then, make up your own mind about the damn colour ffs, nobody here is going to decide for you...

perhaps if you can't understand how there's a difference and wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway it doesn't matter to you, but that's not a reason to be rude to people who are trying to help you.

sure, it's "the same guitar". but each one of that "same" guitar will still be different, for various reasons, the most obvious being that wood is an organic material so no two pieces of "the same" wood will be exactly the same - because that's kinda like saying all of a particular breed of dog are exactly the same because they are the same breed. i don't know why it is so hard for some people to grasp such a simple concept.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

im may be wrong i think the neck on the '66 may be thiner
Quote by bluestratplayer
Im going to initial the back of every MG in guitarcenter "ZW" and see how many threads come out thinking Zakk Wylde owned thier amp.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Just me and rhino will end in the extinction of a species.
Heritage Cherry '66 with full pickguard it shall be then !

*idk why but all my friends hate the SG's shape, but I LOVE it!
Quote by rhino1957

I would think this, too.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I would think this, too.

im almost positive that it is
Quote by bluestratplayer
Im going to initial the back of every MG in guitarcenter "ZW" and see how many threads come out thinking Zakk Wylde owned thier amp.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Quote by rhino1957

I think you are wrong.....

Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I would think this, too.

dito

Quote by rhino1957
im almost positive that it is

Both necks do have the "slim taper" profile.....

so why exactly should one be thinner than the other

Quote by paruwi
I think you are wrong.....

dito

Both necks do have the "slim taper" profile.....

so why exactly should one be thinner than the other

Because the G-400 isn't based off a 1966 SG. As the 60's progressed, Gibson introduced a slimmer neck profile.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Because the G-400 isn't based off a 1966 SG. As the 60's progressed, Gibson introduced a slimmer neck profile.

BTW Epi never was that historical correct...

one more try.....

both Epis have the 'slim-taper' neck
Quote by paruwi

one more try.....

i think it's a fair assumption to make that the '66 has a thinner neck due to the history, but it is incorrect.

epiphone just make the bodies and necks for SGs in bulk (except maybe the 3-pickup model which requires different routing), and attach the hardware to whichever SG happens to reach that stage in the production line at that particular time, so there's no reason why the '66 reissue would have a thinner neck.

as for historical correctness, why don't you just take a look at the sunburst finish on epiphones '59 reissue les paul

Quote by paruwi

one more try.....

g400 does not have the slim neck i looked
Quote by bluestratplayer
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Quote by rhino1957

I looked and found this......

Specifications: Body Material: Mahogany
Neck Material: Mahogany
Neck Shape: SlimTaper(TM)
Neck Joint: Glued-In, Set Neck
Scale Length: 24.75"
Fingerboard Material: Rosewood
Fingerboard Radius: 12"
Nut Width: 1.68"
Hardware: Chrome
Machine Heads: Grover 14:1 Ratio
Neck Pickup: Alnico Classic (TM) Humbucker
Bridge Pickup: Alnico Classic Plus (TM) Humbucker
Controls: 1-Neck Volume, 1-Neck Tone. 1Bridge Volume, 1-Bridge Tone
Pickup Selector: 3-Way Toggle Switch, Epiphone All-Metal
Bridge: LockTone(TM) Tune-o-matic
Tailpiece: LockTone(TM) Stopbar
Warranty: Epiphone Limited Lifetime

http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=2023

Quote by paruwi

I looked and found this......

http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=2023

huh? thats wierd
Quote by bluestratplayer
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Quote by rhino1957

probably old specs that have not been updated where you looked.

my 2004 G400 doesn't have a slim taper neck either, but that's because it's an older model - specifications are subject to change without notice. that means they don't even have to tell the retailers if they've made a change, which is part of the reason you should never buy a guitar online based entirely on the specs sheet provided by the retailer you are buying from.

2 threads about the same thing?

the silverburst 66 RI.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.