EDIT: Just realised how misleading the title is :/ Oh well

Hey all, wondering if anyone else uses this crazy tuning.

For the uninitiated it is: C G D A E G

Yep, that's 4 perfect 5th intervals, and the highest string is a minor third above.

Was made up by Robert Fripp of King Crimson it seems.

I think it's pretty cool, takes a bit of getting use to. Had a bit of fun working out chords, and then to save time looked up some cello chords, as the lower four strings are exactly the same as on a cello!

Wiki link.

Right now I've been jamming to songs, working out where all the chords are, what's easiest to play, and trying to do solos. Once I'm more comfortable with it then it'll be easier to get creative and start songwriting. My other guitar is still in normal standard though (and my acoustic in DADGAD, variety!)

Now that I've got that all out there, anyone else ever tried this tuning, or are perhaps going to try it now? Thoughts, suggestions, yes, no?

Last edited by Rokeman at Jun 14, 2011,
'New' standard tuning came about in 1983? Does look interesting though. I've always wanted to try out 'B F# B G B E' a la Karnivool, but 'different' tunings intimidate me.
I can't play the guitar in old standard tuning, why do I want to try new standard tuning?

Still and all, it's interesting enough.
Karnivool tuning is pretty insane, I've seen a friend play with it and he liked it.

I'm still getting used to the scales on NST, they're not quite as easy at the moment, and chords work best if you keep it to three notes, though some it's possible to play 5 notes.
Its pretty much an extended range mandolin, in essence. My old acoustic is in this tuning, and it comes in handy for a surprising amount of stuff, but its so strange to get used to.

Also, I have snapped a fair few strings, before realising that its much wiser to custom build a set. I think something like .008, .010, .017 .026, .042, .054 would work well. What gauge do you use?
Quote by Stud_Muffin
Also, I have snapped a fair few strings, before realising that its much wiser to custom build a set. I think something like .008, .010, .017 .026, .042, .054 would work well. What gauge do you use?

Oh nice. I've been meaning to get a custom gauge made, as standard strings aren't great for this.... I moved the B over to make the new A string, then moved the E over to where it is now, and then got another E and (carefully!!!!) tuned it up to G :/ Not the best way, as one side of the fretboard is sloppy and the other is tight! I'll get something similar to the gauges you're using, might even try a .0.56 and .0.46 for the low C and G. Thanks