Hey guys. So I'm working on putting an EP together and have a few songs/demos/ideas floating around. Some of them are up on my SoundCloud page (http://soundcloud.com/josh-byrnes/sets/miscellaneous) and I would very much appreciate feedback on any/all of them. If you have SoundCloud, messages would be nice but if not then just post in here.

I'd also be happy to give your tracks a spin and give some feedback where you want it as well. What are the kids calling it these days? "C4C"?

Danke schoen. <3
The below is false.
The above is true.

*world implodes*
Last edited by punkman_123 at Jun 20, 2011,
Hey man thanks for the crit. I really like your guitar parts and songwriting. Productionwise, I would suggest throwing more compression on the vocals, like compressing the crap out of them, I think it would help the recordings flow a little more because the volume changes in the vocals are a bit much.

Overall though these are good songs, I'm digging them a ton
Hey dude, thanks for the crit. Unfortunately, like many others I have had to say to: our boarding school internet restrictions don't allow audio streaming sites like soundcloud or myspace. So i cant hear your music. Do you have any other links?
very nice acoustic tracks, quite melow just the way i like it! departures is candy to my ears
-----------------------------------------------
--The GEAR--
Horizon Devices - Precision Drive
AMT D2 Preamp
Boss TU-2
Boss- CS 2
BBE- Green SCREAMER
ESP,LTD MH- 250 NT ,
fitted with SEYMORE DUNCAN NAZGUL AND SENTIENT
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Sooooo radio-friendly haha." I listened to a couple of your songs on your SoundCloud page and I liked the vibe of them. Timing was a bit off on some parts of the songs, so tightening the screws on that never hurts. I would say cut off on the reverb a little for the vocals. Maybe decrease the size of the room for the reverb? There's too much of an echo. Needs super cheesy solos throughout, then all your tracks would be perfect

Thanks for your critique!
-Brendan & Jimmy
This sure is one long EP :p might want to add a few more songs and slap on the LP label? Anyway man, critting this as i listen, so far I'm quite enjoying this. really good ideas for melody and progression with solid structure (really quite glad you didn't try and take an experimental path for structure in this). One thing I'm enjoying too much is when the vocals try to project, I don't quite know how to put it but it sounds like the voice is changing and pretty much just not a fan of that instantaneous voice lol.
C4C(what the kids are calling it these days): https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1452685
THanks for comment on my thread..here is my c4c, im listening to them as i write them, ill try to do as many as i can before i have to leave...Ill probably skip a few tracks as well..
-------

track 1:- like the guitar a lot. Very basic. Also like that melody in the background at parts (keyboard? Im not sure exactly, im not very good at identifying stuff). The voice reminds me a bit of robert smith from the cure. I liked it very much. Cant really think of anything to improve, except maybe make your voice a bit louder so we can hear the lyrics.

track 2:- So far pretty much same comments as first. Like the guitar, very basic and smooth, very easy to listen to. Love that voice at the intro, sounds VERY SMOOTH, i like the volume of the voice on this one, even though its quiet, it goes very nicely with the track. THe only thing I would like to have heard, was maybe a change in sound somewhere in it to really suprise the listener...

Track 4:- Great voice, guitar, everything... You have kept all the songs very constant, i love that...

Gotta head off now. Good job on the EP, Keep up the good work!
Only listened to constantine, great acoustic track and awesome vocals. However; adding a little bit more echo to the louder parts will give it a more powerful approach, in my opinion.

Great use of strings complementing the rhythm guitar! Very smooth and cruisy track, like it

Great track!

Check out my track: would love some feedback:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1451665
Quote by Brendan & Jimmy
Timing was a bit off on some parts of the songs, so tightening the screws on that never hurts. I would say cut off on the reverb a little for the vocals. Maybe decrease the size of the room for the reverb? There's too much of an echo. Needs super cheesy solos throughout, then all your tracks would be perfect
True, the production isn't really very tight as it is. I was going to narrow down the selection to an EP length and then polish the keepers. I'm probably also guilty of over-using reverb -- it's my way of covering up bad vocals haha. I'll work on those big cheesy solos! :P Thanks for the feedback!

Quote by TechIndustrial
This sure is one long EP :p might want to add a few more songs and slap on the LP label?
I don't think the quality is consistent enough to make an LP! I was hoping I'd be able to cut down the list based on feedback.

Quote by TechIndustrial
One thing I'm enjoying too much is when the vocals try to project, I don't quite know how to put it but it sounds like the voice is changing and pretty much just not a fan of that instantaneous voice lol.
Like for example the change in the third "you and I" in "Caffeine"? If that's what you're referring to then I completely agree! I recorded that song a while back and that voice change has bugged me ever since! Thanks. I'll head over to yours now!

Quote by DarrenReeder
THe only thing I would like to have heard, was maybe a change in sound somewhere in it to really suprise the listener...
I agree actually! It always felt like that song was missing an interlude or something. Any suggestions? Like a soft solo or thicker instrumentation, or key change? Thanks for the feedback!

Quote by JoxTraex
Only listened to constantine, great acoustic track and awesome vocals. However; adding a little bit more echo to the louder parts will give it a more powerful approach, in my opinion.
Echo or reverb? Thanks for the feedback! I'll check out your track now.

Good helpful feedback so far. Thanks everyone! Still happy to do C4C! <3
The below is false.
The above is true.

*world implodes*
punkman,
Thanks for the reviews! "No I'm fine": starting at 0:17, that guitar riff sure sounds familiar, but couldn't tell you where I've heard it before (hopefully you didn't lift it from a known song, have I heard this song of your's before?). Singing & vocal melodies are pretty good. I like the keyboard part/sound/melody! Yep, it sounds incomplete as of now. You could copy & paste most of the rest of the song, it shouldn't be too much more work to finish it off. Assuming the song is completely original, it's quite good overall, so far. "Lemonade": I think the singing & vocal melodies are even better in this one (very good!). Guitar playing/melodies are very good. Audio quality is good. I could see where you might say that you want to add more to it, but it's quite good as a short song as is (though could be better if longer). Keep writing those songs!
Last edited by aaron aardvark at Jun 20, 2011,
I listened to No I'm Fine. Nice job man, the vocals are really pretty, and the guitar riff is pretty nice too. Excellent job man! :]
Checkin at dat first song. Likin that real rootsy feelin so far, a very in my face guitar. OK WE STRUMMIN here we go, nice song openin, given me what I want.

Oh you have a really cute voice! YAY I like that yo uare in stereo. This is nice if the vocals were A TAD louder, I would like that. That a nice lil riff that comes in. Not much but just gives a nice sense of atmosphere.

This is nice so I'll listen to another song

LEMONADE! very similar. Different vocal performance. Overall You have a nice idea of what you want! You need some compressor though MAYBE because sometimes your voice pops out a lot, then gets so quiet we lose what you are saying and it seems like lyrics are a big focus. VERY tasteful on the licks there, very mature. GOOD JOB BE PROUD

hit me back bruv
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1452291
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Sounds really good! I love the chord progression and the uptight sorta "shuffle" it has. The vocals need to be a bit louder and have just a bit less echo in my opinion. Other than that, is sounds awesome keep up the good work!
Hey, thanks for the crit. I listened to Autopsy and Constantine. I like the feel Constantine has, but the entire time I was listening to Autopsy, I was expecting it to build into something, and it just stayed constant. Maybe work on that? And there was some sort of weird sound partway through, no clue what that was. But yeah, I enjoyed the songs, and you should definitely be able to get an EP out of 11 tracks no problem
I really dig the first and third tracks. The instruments could be leveled a bit, the guitar sometimes overwhelms your voice and vice versa. A little bit of static in the background on track 3's vocals...but I'm just nit picking lol, it doesn't take away from the listening experience, and overall the music is great, keep it up!
Music must be honest to be timeless.
Im listened to take your time right now, the first thing I appreciated is how simple yet effective your vocal idea is. It fits the the chords perfectly and sets up a great atmosphere for the song which has a bit of a lullaby effect. Guitar playing is really solid, great acoustic tone. I'm going to let most of this run, cuz Im just loving the vibe...good stuff keep it up
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god