So I'll be working this summer, and get a lot of money, kind of. I want a new guitar, and can spend up to around $1000 (+ - a couple of hundreds, depending on the exchange rate).

I want a versatile guitar, that sounds good playing both melodic death metal, lighter rocky stuff and clean. No EMG's, please.
Been checking out the Mikael Åkerfeldt signature PRS, and it seems pretty great. I haven't had a chance to play it though. The logo on the body does turn me off, but I can live with it.
Now, do you have any alternatives?
24 frets and tremolo would be preferable.
I'll be playing through a Peavey Ultra.
Would prefer new, but I don't really mind second hand. I live in Sweden, so shipping from the US is not really in question.

Thanks, and just ask if there's anything else you need to know. Sorry if this kind of thread aren't allowed, didn't find anything in the rules about it.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Last edited by AtaBorMan at Jun 14, 2011,
ESP Horizon NT-II if u can.

Or a ESP LTD EC-1000 w/ Seymour duncans
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Any guitar is exactly as versatile as the person who plays it and the amp they choose to play it through. Pick a guitar that you like the look, feel and sound of and you can't go far wrong.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by holycow
ESP Horizon NT-II if u can.

Or a ESP LTD EC-1000 w/ Seymour duncans

I second that
Quote by Tom 1.0
Prs Ce22.

+1
Or any PRS, really.
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
Wrote the first post in a hurry. Thanks for the answers this far, I'll look at them, and see if any of the stores here carry them or can order them for me to try.

Forgot to mention; I'd like 24 frets, and a tremolo too.

Edit: The CE 22 goes for between $1500-2000 used here, or $5000 new.
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Last edited by AtaBorMan at Jun 14, 2011,
Quote by AtaBorMan
Wrote the first post in a hurry. Thanks for the answers this far, I'll look at them, and see if any of the stores here carry them or can order them for me to try.

PRS SE Custom 24.
New rendition for 2011. With birds.
You're welcome.

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/prs-se-custom-24-electric-guitar/h70029
Too be honest, the MF pictures don't do them justice. The orange is much less harsh and the tri-color burst is one of the few burst colors I've ever found appealing.
Also, you can always buy used and get more color options. No birds on older SE models, though
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
Ce's don't go for much more than 850-1000 euros....

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
^^ Thanks!

Quote by Tom 1.0
Ce's don't go for much more than 850-1000 euros....

I found two used in Sweden. One for 15000 SEK (about 1400 &euro and one for 10000 SEK (about 950 €, though this ad was like two years old). Sorry, but our prices are ****ed up.
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
Yeah, it helps to let people know your budget in your own currency, and where you are so people can check out how expensive gear is where you are.

Converting to US dollars helps all these Amerrikuns get a decent idea of how much you have to spend, but they just don't tend to realise how expensive gear is in the rest of the world.
Quote by AtaBorMan

locking trem or a vintage-style unit?
Quote by AtaBorMan
^^ Thanks!

I found two used in Sweden. One for 15000 SEK (about 1400 &euro and one for 10000 SEK (about 950 €, though this ad was like two years old). Sorry, but our prices are ****ed up.

Not worth checking European ebay sites? Germany? UK?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Okay, so in SEK, my budget is 7000. The tremolo part, doesn't really matter, not gonna do dive bombs and such.

Tom; No, sadly. Since this will be a kind of expensive guitar for me, I want to check it out personally and test it before. Would have been great to get a CE22 though, they look fantastic.

But okay, so I'll just head towards a couple of stores and try everything in my price range. Thanks!
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
I've always thought the Gibson SG's were a classy choice if you need to do both metal and lighter stuff