I'm still searching for a good tube amp for metal, as some who've seen my other posts might have noticed, and would like to hear opinions about the Peavey Valveking 112 for playing metal (nothing harder than say Megadeth).

If you want to offer other suggestions (same price range) I need a small combo flexible enough to practice, rehearse and do live gigs at small clubs, and I need a clean channel that is actually clean, since this is gonna be my main amp.

Thanks.
The VK is actually not bad for hard rock, and has more than enough gain for thrash metal, but you will need to do some work to it. IMHO, it needs:

A). a retube, for something less muddy.

B). a speaker change, to something that doesn't boost ice-pick treble AND low mid muddiness at the same time (just one is usually cause for concern, which is why I have a long standing hatred of Peavey stock speakers).

C). An EQ pedal, to further tweak your sound, because of the quirky EQ (search google for the UG Valveking Wiki, to see what I mean, and for more information) and finally...

D). an overdrive pedal, in front of the amp to tighten it up a bit more.

Its an investment, but I'm glad I put the work in, because now it sounds great for all types of metal, even rivalling my mates 6505 (and with a great clean channel too).
Quote by Stud_Muffin
The VK is actually not bad for hard rock, and has more than enough gain for thrash metal, but you will need to do some work to it. IMHO, it needs:

A). a retube, for something less muddy.

B). a speaker change, to something that doesn't boost ice-pick treble AND low mid muddiness at the same time (just one is usually cause for concern, which is why I have a long standing hatred of Peavey stock speakers).

C). An EQ pedal, to further tweak your sound, because of the quirky EQ (search google for the UG Valveking Wiki, to see what I mean, and for more information) and finally...

D). an overdrive pedal, in front of the amp to tighten it up a bit more.

Its an investment, but I'm glad I put the work in, because now it sounds great for all types of metal, even rivalling my mates 6505 (and with a great clean channel too).

Funny you said that cause the 6505 is another I'm considering. After the mods you propose, one might end up spending the extra 200 the 6505 costs, so you're actually talking me into that.

Heard anything about the Marshall Haze (40W)? It's also US$600
Quote by gypsyblues
Funny you said that cause the 6505 is another I'm considering. After the mods you propose, one might end up spending the extra 200 the 6505 costs, so you're actually talking me into that.

Heard anything about the Marshall Haze (40W)? It's also US$600

It's like an MG, but with tubes, if I remember. Really dull, muddy tone. I haven't played it in awhile, but generally, unless it is a 5w amp, if it says Marshall, and it's less than $1000 brand new. Probably never go near it.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
It's like an MG, but with tubes, if I remember. Really dull, muddy tone. I haven't played it in awhile, but generally, unless it is a 5w amp, if it says Marshall, and it's less than $1000 brand new. Probably never go near it.

I figured. I actually tried one years ago and thought that exact thing. you just reconfirmed it. But, your 6505 is running at US$600, so not exactly a grand. I'm considering this amp also.

Now it's between the 6505 and a Marshall Haze (can't try em, boohoo). Please share your thoughts of the 6505 and if you've tried the Haze or other amps in that price range.
Quote by gypsyblues
I figured. I actually tried one years ago and thought that exact thing. you just reconfirmed it. But, your 6505 is running at US$600, so not exactly a grand. I'm considering this amp also.

Now it's between the 6505 and a Marshall Haze (can't try em, boohoo). Please share your thoughts of the 6505 and if you've tried the Haze or other amps in that price range.

The 6505+ combo is not the same thing as a 6505. It has an extra pre-amp tube, which adds more gain. Now, just because it has an extra tube for more gain, doesn't make it better. The amp's distorted tones are actually not as tight as the 6505.

I have yet to see a 6505 combo, so the 6505+ combo will be your only option. Despite it having a less than great distorted tone, compared to the 6505, most people won't notice the difference. Also, the cleans are slightly better with the 6505+

Now, when you get the combo, I highly recommend taking the extra money and getting a new speaker and new tubes. It will help out greatly. Also, possibly a Tubescreamer pedal, any TS pedal will work really, depending on the chip. I use the Ibanez TS7

Lastly, just so you know, if anyone ever mentions the 5150, saying it is better than the 6505, slap them for me. They are the exact same amp, no difference other than name.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
i use a VK and find that it can do older metal sounds fairly well but it does depend on what you are talking about. i play stuff like 70s era Judas Priest, early Maiden and a lot of hard rock stuff like Blue Oyster Cult and Montrose. for those kind of tones even stock it's not bad to down right good. as mentioned a speaker change helps (though i haven't done that yet) and with an overdrive in front you can push it into somewhat heavier metal tones.
Quote by monwobobbo
i use a VK and find that it can do older metal sounds fairly well but it does depend on what you are talking about. i play stuff like 70s era Judas Priest, early Maiden and a lot of hard rock stuff like Blue Oyster Cult and Montrose. for those kind of tones even stock it's not bad to down right good. as mentioned a speaker change helps (though i haven't done that yet) and with an overdrive in front you can push it into somewhat heavier metal tones.

Yeah, if your budget is $600, you could get a 6505+ combo, but it would still need a speaker swap.

The VK is OK for and entry level tube amp. Just needs a bunch of mods. And you can pick the vk1x12 up for reallllllllllly cheap. Like, Peavey Vypyr 30w cheap, or less!

I have heard the VK do some unique things after upgrades, worth a shot.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Honestly i would get a 6505 112 combo and upgrade the speaker to a WGS veteran 30 or Celestion Vintage 30. I really don't like my VK's tone even after the upgrades, and i'm not even going to go into how bad it sounded before!
Ibanez RG370DX
Schecter C-1 Classic
Valveking 112 w/ Celestion V30
Bad Monkey
Tanglewood TW28 Acoustic
I have the VK 112 (stock) and the 6505+ 112 (stock)

I like both. The VK does clean well and metal ok. The 6505 does metal well and clean ok.

The VK I have a loop across the FX and am using the input jack mod. It takes an OD pedla well (I use a bad monkey). I'll likely sell the VK and keep the 6505 as I plan on getting a cab with V30s in it and a head at some point.
I'll then try the 6505 through that cab to see if it really would benefit from a speaker change.

Try before you buy if you can.
I would suggest the valveking, it sounds like you want to have more versatility, and the peavey 6505 does soul-crushing metal, but nothing else really.
Quote by Cracked.com
Then they torched an Apple Store and made a PowerPoint about their experiences.
It depends on how modern of a tone you want to get. The VK is decent for anything up to early Metallica. After that, it needs some work. The beauty of the VK is picking one up used for next to nothing and modding the hell out of it. There is a great amp in there. But, if you're going to pick one up and end up paying a tech to do the mods, it's not worth it.
You guys are from the States so I guess when buying gear it's cheaper than buying anything here in the UK. I have bought a Peavey 6534+ and literally just tried it today in a sound proofed rehearsal room. I put it thru a 4X12 Marshall Lead 1960A Cab (Not my ideal choice but it belongs to the venue) and got some fantastic tones from it. It's my recommendation anyway to try it out. The Crunch channel is enough for Megadeth with the Pre Volume dimed and the Lead Channel will give you more than enough gain for anything. You will wonder why you still need your Overdrive pedal if you get this honey.

I'm posting a different thread here in this forum about groundlooping and daisychaining FX with a Diago Powerstation so would be glad of your views on it coz believe me it will be an issue if you daisy chain power to your FX with most high gain amps like Peavey's.
I have a haze. it wont do metal it will go up to early metallica but no further, that is with the preamp gain open on full. If you want something modern voiced stay away from marshall. also not much clean headroom actually it starts to break up already if you put the volume knob on 4 (humbuckers).
hope this helped.
Gear:
Marshall haze40
Yamaha GA15
Line 6 pod GX
Ibanez PGM301
Yamaha self customized EG012
Jackson KVX10
Boss DS1
GE 7
BD2
CS3