Page 1 of 4
From BYOGuitar.com, this is their PRS lookalike kit. Got it in the mail yesterday, pics to follow, from start to finish

Have to say upon initial inspection it looks great... the figure in the veneer is very defined, there are no serious workmanship errors anywhere on the body. Theres a slight scuff here and there, only on the back - and very very minor tearing around the tuning pegs. I'll get pictures of those tonight, but overall I'm very happy with it.

The body (front)!

The body (back)!

Control cavity!

Trem Cavity!

Bridge Pickup and bridge holes!
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Last edited by ma_tt11 at Jun 14, 2011,

Controls!

A shot of the bootiful flame veneer

Jack and body carve

Neck pocket!
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212

The neck!

Headstock, and a better glance at the inlays!

(should be noted that all minor tearing around these holes (there isnt much) is located on the back, not the front.)

Dem puurdy birdies

More lovely bird inlays!

It is a 3 piece neck, but cant argue here... its solidly put together.

the second join in the neck
Ball Custom Mark I

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Ok, now that the pics are out of the way:

Test fit the neck, its nice and snug, not too tight, but definitely not loose!

All minor scratches and marking are on the back, and I only found one that looked more like a ding than a sanding scratch.

Two of the holes for the tuning pegs have very very minor tearing around the edges (IIRC) and wont be difficult to fix at all.

On first glance, the neck is straight, and the fret job actually seems decent. Might need a little touching up, but I wont know til there are strings on it.

The hardware is crap, for the most part and will be pretty much all swapped. I can live with that, $200 for the body and neck, and a whole whack of spare parts.... not a bad deal if I do say so myself.

But, so far so good, the neck may be installed later tonight, or tomorrow - I've yet to find out what free time I'll have this week. Undecided on the stain... I'm off to the hardware store tonight to see what they've got in.
Ball Custom Mark I

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
you should do like a dark red stain, or like a green with a blue sunburst, thats what i would do
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
Last edited by M_16A at Jun 14, 2011,
I vote a dark blue stain like this:

or a dark red
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by mtshark
I vote a dark blue stain like this:

or a dark red

This is what I was thinking, it just depends on whats easier to get. I'm not close to any specialty paint stores so a blue stain may be more difficult than a deep red. Back is going to be black regardless, with a gloss finish.
Ball Custom Mark I

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
both colors are available in transtint dye at the usual sources.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
both colors are available in transtint dye at the usual sources.

Usual sources? I'm hesitant to buy online only because then I have to pay shipping and customs to Canada (as most of the main guitar paint resources are located in the States). I'm hoping for a little selection at the local store here, but I might have to get into the city some weekend or two if I cant find anything at the store tonight.
Ball Custom Mark I

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
i like dark red like this, even tho this is quilted but you get the idea
"It's not about who has the biggest stick, it's about how hard you can swing it"
I went with dark blue - picked up stain, black for the back and the neck, and a thing of gloss for the clearcoat.

Will update as it progresses!
Ball Custom Mark I

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212

Not the pickups I'm using, but a test fit of the bridge - getting ready to line up the neck
Ball Custom Mark I

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Last edited by ma_tt11 at Jun 15, 2011,
Quote by ma_tt11
Usual sources? I'm hesitant to buy online only because then I have to pay shipping and customs to Canada (as most of the main guitar paint resources are located in the States)..

i understand. stew mac, mojotone etc sell transtint dyes.

there's a stickie thread with links to suppliers.

looks great so far.
are you gonna do a black stain first then sand it off or just the blue?
Quote by M_16A
are you gonna do a black stain first then sand it off or just the blue?

I want to do black, and then blue. But it's a veneer, and a thin one at that. I dont know how safely I could sand off the black and do blue with something thats barely a millimeter thick - I'll try and get a shot of the thickness when I get home from work. I think there is also a sealer on it, but I was reading that I could remove it with a paint remover, and then stain it however.

(as a side note, anyone thats worked with staining veneers - any advice?)

edit: it also lacks the back body carve most legit PRS's have.... which I'm tempted to do, but I'm not sure if I trust my woodworking ability enough to attempt it o.O
Ball Custom Mark I

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Gonna pimp out my build while I'm at it.

Take a look at the link in my sig, it was VERY easy to do. However, with a veneer so light, I doubt you'll be able to get a very DEEP 3D looking finish. THe problem is that you'd need extreme differences in the color. THe black would have to be BLACK, as in a few passes with black dye. Then sanded back. I did that and I think if I had a veneer on my guitar that I would have sanded through it with how much effort it took to get through the black. I could be wrong though.

Take a look at this users videos on youtube. just search for DIY1337GUITAR if my link gets removed. He started with a mahogany body and put his own veneer on and got a pretty good end result. http://www.youtube.com/user/DUY1337GUITAR#p/u/37/37VO-mGkV9c
Thanks man, I'll take a look at both of those and see what they look like in comparison to what I've got here. It doesnt have to look DEEP, just deep enough to show a decent amount of the figure, because even though its a veneer, I DO love the figure it's got.

And nice work on the Warmoth build, its turning out great... that finish you have is a lot like what I'm going for... I just dont know if I have enough room with the veneer to do the black first
Ball Custom Mark I

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
....mee gusta!..stickied..
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Oh man. I lucked out. Neck is straight, pocket is straight, string height is pretty much perfect.

my lack of centering ability with the camera leads to a little bit of a skew on the string spacing. In reality they are equal on either side

nut slot needs a little filing down - thats the only reason the neck looks not-straight here. Nut is also being replaced... dont know with what yet, either graphite or bone or something

This is how thin the veneer is :/
Ball Custom Mark I

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
i believe the standard is 1/42. not 100% positive though.

its all glued

You can see that the fretboard wasnt completely machined for the nut here... I'm going to have to file it down. That dark brown in the nut slot is what made the neck look crooked in the picture earlier.

There are actually blocks inside of the pickup cavity, which the big block is pushing down on - nothing is clamped to the frets or the fretboard.
Ball Custom Mark I

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Last edited by ma_tt11 at Jun 16, 2011,

She's glued in

Straight shot

the joint - the carve is deceiving with the neck line. its square with the guitar, even though it doesnt quite look it

gotta file this
Ball Custom Mark I

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Last edited by ma_tt11 at Jun 17, 2011,
Hey ma_tt11, do you have a link to that guitar kit...I couldn't find a PRS look-alike on the byoguitar.com website. Thanks :-)
Quote by LGlide
Hey ma_tt11, do you have a link to that guitar kit...I couldn't find a PRS look-alike on the byoguitar.com website. Thanks :-)

Their stock seems to be ever-changing. I looked too and its not there anymore.... they seem to cycle through styles pretty fast. A guy on the project guitar forum did one of the EVH musicman ones and that wasnt there when I ordered, and he'd only done it a couple months ago.

edit: This is the closest I could find:
http://www.byoguitar.com/Guitars/Electric-Guitar-Kit--Carved-Top-Semi-Hollow__BYO-CT-SH.aspx
Ball Custom Mark I

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Last edited by ma_tt11 at Jun 17, 2011,
Quote by ma_tt11
Their stock seems to be ever-changing. I looked too and its not there anymore.... they seem to cycle through styles pretty fast. A guy on the project guitar forum did one of the EVH musicman ones and that wasnt there when I ordered, and he'd only done it a couple months ago.

edit: This is the closest I could find:
http://www.byoguitar.com/Guitars/Electric-Guitar-Kit--Carved-Top-Semi-Hollow__BYO-CT-SH.aspx

Thanks. I'll keep a close eye on their website.

Can't wait to see your project finished
I'm hoping to stain it this weekend or early next week... but I've got no clue how to safely remove the sanding sealer they put on it, or whether or not it will affect my stain!

So it may be a while before I hit that step (unless someone has miraculously done this before, with a 1/42" veneer!).
Ball Custom Mark I

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
I'm very interested in this. I may do one based on how this turns out.
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
Quote by ma_tt11
I'm hoping to stain it this weekend or early next week... but I've got no clue how to safely remove the sanding sealer they put on it, or whether or not it will affect my stain!

So it may be a while before I hit that step (unless someone has miraculously done this before, with a 1/42" veneer!).

Have you thought about dying the clear coat and spraying it that way?
Quote by syntheticocean
Have you thought about dying the clear coat and spraying it that way?

Is that possible? I hadnt seen or heard anything about it. I'll have to look into it and see if its a viable alternative!
Ball Custom Mark I

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
dying is what i was talking about.

here's a video i shot of a guy at PRS dying a guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZ1Brc773E

i'm going to use transtint dyes.

you use that and then clearcoat after.

search bar "transtint" and there are some good threads on it. also youtube has some good video examples of it being done.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jun 17, 2011,
So I went to the BYOguitars site...and I couldn't find the PRS model that you got. All I could find was the Hollowbody edition. Did you order that a while ago??
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Quote by Controlpanel
So I went to the BYOguitars site...and I couldn't find the PRS model that you got. All I could find was the Hollowbody edition. Did you order that a while ago??

Ordered it maybe 3-4 weeks ago? I saw the hollowbody one too, but mine disappeared soon after I ordered it.
Ball Custom Mark I

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Quote by n1ckn1ce
They are build one by one or almost, their lineup isn't constant at all...

Didnt know this... I must have gotten lucky then.

Also, about the dying of the clearcoat... what kind of finish does that produce? is it comparable to staining and then regular clearcoating it? Is there a huge difference? because the problem isnt staining the guitar, it's whether or not the sanding sealer already on the body is going to throw off the finish... and whether I'll have to try and find a way to remove it or if I'm safe staining over it.
Ball Custom Mark I

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Last edited by ma_tt11 at Jun 19, 2011,
Page 1 of 4