Page 1 of 2
Okay some might remember me from my derailed pickup thread a while ago, and as you said, I was confused at what I should get. But I think that my current guitar will suffice for the moment, and per your advices I am getting a new amp. My choices are at the moment either:

A Peavey 5105, I could try this one out and have been in contact with the seller, and it's the cheapest of these. All the reviews and and talk I've heard of this has been positive.

A Peavey 6505+

An Engl Powerball, my friend has one and he has been extremely satisfied with it, and recommends me to get one too.

My budget would be around these amps. They're all heads, so I need to also buy a cabinet for them. I won't be gigging with it, so 2x12 should suffice. I require my amp to be versatile in both clean and distortion music, I don't want too much distortion, something the likes of Opeth.

Apparently the 5105 doesn't have that good clean, but I could upgrade it with a chorus pedal to make it have more depth. Any recommendations on pedals, chorus or either?
Fight the evolution, play large intervals!
Yes I do, because I play lots of progressive stuff, that has mellow parts. I also play songs that are completely distortion-free. My current amp is a Roland Cube, and I am completely tired of it. I only ever use the clean and the "metal" modelled amp on it.

EDIT: I mentioned Opeth as an example, because I think it has the best of both worlds, both great cleans and growling distortions. I know they use Mesa Boogie's, but I need to save some money for moving out too :P
Last edited by Tupu at Jun 14, 2011,
Quote by Tupu
Yes I do, because I play lots of progressive stuff, that has mellow parts. I also play songs that are completely distortion-free. My current amp is a Roland Cube, and I am completely tired of it. I only ever use the clean and the "metal" modelled amp on it.

EDIT: I mentioned Opeth as an example, because I think it has the best of both worlds, both great cleans and growling distortions. I know they use Mesa Boogie's, but I need to save some money for moving out too :P

Opeth uses Laney's. IIRC Akerfeldt (dunno which one) uses a GH100L in 4CM with a Boss GT10 (8?).
If you go for a Powerball, be sure to get the Powerball II. It sounds deeper than the Powerball I and has more options, like a Mid boost, Bottom boosts and a better FX-loop. But it has a lot of gain. A LOT!! When it is in combination with the Engl Pro 2x12 cabinet, it has this crispy/crunchy effect on the gain channel, which you hate or love.

The clean channel is fine, not the best, but certainly satisfying for a high gain amp. When you cut down the gain a little bit on the crunch channel, you can get a real nice clean with an edge or turn it up for a very bright, cutting rock tone.

I know nothing about the Peaveys, but I gave you all I know about the Engl.
Quote by Snowblind 911

maybe it's because of your description, or the fact that it's 1:30am here, or both, i can't stop giggling.

Sometimes girls say that too...
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Opeth uses Laney's. IIRC Akerfeldt (dunno which one) uses a GH100L in 4CM with a Boss GT10 (8?).

Hmmm, I remembered I heard somewhere that Opeth uses Mesa Boogie's....

Quote by CheezMeUp
If you go for a Powerball, be sure to get the Powerball II. It sounds deeper than the Powerball I and has more options, like a Mid boost, Bottom boosts and a better FX-loop. But it has a lot of gain. A LOT!! When it is in combination with the Engl Pro 2x12 cabinet, it has this crispy/crunchy effect on the gain channel, which you hate or love.

I'm going for secondhand amps, and I only found Powerball I. I think the II would go over my budget..
Quote by Tupu

I'm going for secondhand amps, and I only found Powerball I. I think the II would go over my budget..

Mike uses Laney, Fred uses Blackstar.

Edit: Fredrik also uses Marshall, and the Axe FX
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Last edited by Guitarbaddie at Jun 14, 2011,
Quote by Tupu

http://www.uberproaudio.com/who-plays-what/262-opeth-mikael-akerfeldt-guitar-gear-rig-and-equipment

Laneys all the way.

You sure youre not confusing him with Petrucci? He used the Mark II/IV/V, Triaxis, Dual Rcto, Roadking and Lonestar.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
You sure youre not confusing him with Petrucci? He used the Mark II/IV/V, Triaxis, Dual Rcto, Roadking and Lonestar.

That could hold some truth, I must have gotten them mixed up somehow :P

But does anyone have any information on the 5150?
Also, what cab should I get for it?
Quote by Tupu
That could hold some truth, I must have gotten them mixed up somehow :P

But does anyone have any information on the 5150?
Also, what cab should I get for it?

5150 = Peavey 6505

Same amp. Having said that, if you want good cleans, look elsewhere.

As for cabs. Port City, Emperor, Mesa, Avatar, White Box, etc.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
5150 = Peavey 6505

Same amp. Having said that, if you want good cleans, look elsewhere.

So, do you have any recommendations on good amps on the same price range?
Quote by Tupu
So, do you have any recommendations on good amps on the same price range?

Peavey 6505+, ENGL Powerball II (Like mention before.)

A ton of used Mesa amps.

Laney Amps.

Personally, I would look at this though: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jet-City-Amplification-JCA-Series-JCA100H-100W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=423668&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=473594628
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
get a laney vh100r. trust me.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Peavey 6505+, ENGL Powerball II (Like mention before.)

A ton of used Mesa amps.

Laney Amps.

Personally, I would look at this though: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jet-City-Amplification-JCA-Series-JCA100H-100W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=423668&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=473594628

So, there's a remarkable difference with 6505+ and 6505/5105?

How's the Mesa Nomad 45?
Quote by Tupu
So, there's a remarkable difference with 6505+ and 6505/5105?

How's the Mesa Nomad 45?

The only real difference, is slightly better cleans, and less tight distortion.

Can't comment on a Mesa, the only Mesa I have ever played was the subway blues combo,
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Okay. It's a shame, because the 5150 seemed like a perfect deal, and is the only amp I'm interested that I have a chance to try out. I'll try it out anyway before buying anything.

Is 4x12 cab too big for me? I play at my home, in bedroom levels. I found a nice deal of Laney v100r with a laney 4x12 cab included for as much as a Powerball I would cost me secondhand...

EDIT: I'll go try out amps to a music store some time in the future...

EDIT2: Laney vh100r versus 6505+? Which one do you think is better?
Quote by Tupu
Okay. It's a shame, because the 5150 seemed like a perfect deal, and is the only amp I'm interested that I have a chance to try out. I'll try it out anyway before buying anything.

Is 4x12 cab too big for me? I play at my home, in bedroom levels. I found a nice deal of Laney v100r with a laney 4x12 cab included for as much as a Powerball I would cost me secondhand...

EDIT: I'll go try out amps to a music store some time in the future...

EDIT2: Laney vh100r versus 6505+? Which one do you think is better?

They are both different sounding amps.

The Laney will do your Opeth much better, but they also use some kind of Boss floor processor, keep that in mind.

4x12, 2x12, won't really make a difference in volume. Well, the 4x12 is like, 3db louder, but you won't notice a volume difference.

The fact that you are using a 100w amp, and tube at that, is what will be the biggest problem with bedroom level volume. I have yet to play a 100w amp that sounds good at low volumes, except the 6505, but it doesn't sound that great, really muffled and boring.

Try out every amp if you can, but if you love playing Opeth style stuff (much like I do), the 5150/6505 might not be right for you. I believe Opeth do more mid-heavy stuff, which is not the 5150s strong point.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
A good option is the Carvin X100B. Not the highest gain, but you can make it into anything you want. Stick a TS9 in the gain channel and you'll have all the gain you want. Has a built-in 5-band EQ and you can switch the wattage, so you can crank it it lower volumes. And the cleans are godly. Good prices too.
Jackson, Ibanez, Lag
Carvin, Marshall
Ibanez, Boss, Korg
Quote by Bidley
A good option is the Carvin X100B. Not the highest gain, but you can make it into anything you want. Stick a TS9 in the gain channel and you'll have all the gain you want. Has a built-in 5-band EQ and you can switch the wattage, so you can crank it it lower volumes. And the cleans are godly. Good prices too.

I know they had several different models of the x100b, and there isn't a ton of info on them, but, maybe I just got a weird model. But, their rhythm and lead channels aren't their strong point. I picked mine up for $300, and the cleans make it totally worth it, but maybe I'm just EQing it wrong, cause it doesn't get super heavy.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
They are both different sounding amps.

The Laney will do your Opeth much better, but they also use some kind of Boss floor processor, keep that in mind.

4x12, 2x12, won't really make a difference in volume. Well, the 4x12 is like, 3db louder, but you won't notice a volume difference.

The fact that you are using a 100w amp, and tube at that, is what will be the biggest problem with bedroom level volume. I have yet to play a 100w amp that sounds good at low volumes, except the 6505, but it doesn't sound that great, really muffled and boring.

Try out every amp if you can, but if you love playing Opeth style stuff (much like I do), the 5150/6505 might not be right for you. I believe Opeth do more mid-heavy stuff, which is not the 5150s strong point.

Eh. The 6505/5150 has more lower mids with the mid knob at zero than most other amps dimed.
However, youre right. Its not the right voicing- Opeth's stuff is a lot smoother. Think heavily boosted JCM800 clone. He uses one in fact
Quote by Guitarbaddie
I know they had several different models of the x100b, and there isn't a ton of info on them, but, maybe I just got a weird model. But, their rhythm and lead channels aren't their strong point. I picked mine up for $300, and the cleans make it totally worth it, but maybe I'm just EQing it wrong, cause it doesn't get super heavy.

No you're right mate, that's why I said to add a TS9 on the gain channel to push it that little extra

I can get a decent 80's Thrash sound out of mine without a TS9, just with some smart eq'ing. The gain does have to be near enough flat out. But still, put a nice distortion pedal on the clean channel and it'll sound sweet. The amp's strength is in it's clarity and versatility, IMO. I use mine to play 80's Metal, fyi
Jackson, Ibanez, Lag
Carvin, Marshall
Ibanez, Boss, Korg
Quote by Bidley
No you're right mate, that's why I said to add a TS9 on the gain channel to push it that little extra

I can get a decent 80's Thrash sound out of mine without a TS9, just with some smart eq'ing. The gain does have to be near enough flat out. But still, put a nice distortion pedal on the clean channel and it'll sound sweet. The amp's strength is in it's clarity and versatility, IMO. I use mine to play 80's Metal, fyi

80s thrash I can understand. I always use a TS on that thing. It's a great amp, don't get me wrong, just takes a lot of patience to dial in. Even says so in the manual to take your time with it.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
80s thrash I can understand. I always use a TS on that thing. It's a great amp, don't get me wrong, just takes a lot of patience to dial in. Even says so in the manual to take your time with it.

Agreed. It's just a nice option other than the usual 6505/Powerball/Mesa suggestions.

I've never played one, but Bognor Alchemists sound great too.
Jackson, Ibanez, Lag
Carvin, Marshall
Ibanez, Boss, Korg
5150 at bedroom level volume is asking for trouble imo. Those things require you to turn it up.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
5150 at bedroom level volume is asking for trouble imo. Those things require you to turn it up.

You can keep it turned down, but that is like slapping teh br00tz God in the face.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Either the powerball (and if you buy it I will be very jealous and pissed off) or the laney gh100l/vh100r. Left to me, I'd go for the Mesa or the Engl.
Quote by Cracked.com
Then they torched an Apple Store and made a PowerPoint about their experiences.
Okay. Is the difference between Powerball I and II important enough to opt for the second edition?
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Its still more manageable than most vintage amps (looks at 150W non master volume Marshall)

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of ENGL Gigmaster. Something that would sound better at low volumes.
WTLTL 2011
Hmmm, there's also a Bogner Alchemist head and cab for a pretty nice price. How's the Alchemist's sounds?

EDIT: Of course, all the amps you're referring to me and I can find from this finnish fleamarket for musician's are across the country

EDIT2: I'll actually list all my current "competitors

The Alchemist: Bogner Alchemist head and a cab for the price of 1000 €

The ENGLishman: ENGL Powerball I head with no cab for the price of 850 €

The Swede: Laney VH100R head and a 4x12 cab for 850 €

The Reject: Peavey 6505+ head for 850€
Not sure how much it would cost, but my pick for bedroom playing would be an ENGL Gigmaster top with a Mesa 2x12. On a budget still the gigmaster, but a cheaper cabinet.
WTLTL 2011
That alchemist sounds pretty good in the guitarworld review, my question is, can it handle the bedroom levels? It also is the second most affordable, coming with a cab with celestion speakers and some pretty nice effects.
Quote by Mark G
Actually I was thinking more along the lines of ENGL Gigmaster. Something that would sound better at low volumes.

But will the GM get those tones? Unless I am very much mistaken its a low-mid gain amp?

What about a used Fireball 50?

A Mesa Single Rec/Mark IV should also be in his budget....
That alchemist sounds pretty good in the guitarworld review, my question is, can it handle the bedroom levels? It also is the second most affordable, coming with a cab with celestion speakers and some pretty nice effects.

EDIT: The thread died again, and I won't do a third thread. I am thinking of either a Bogner Alchemist or a Laney VH100R. Thoughts?
Quote by GS LEAD 5
But will the GM get those tones? Unless I am very much mistaken its a low-mid gain amp?

What about a used Fireball 50?

A Mesa Single Rec/Mark IV should also be in his budget....

Its mid-high gain from what I can tell. Throw in a boost and it'll do everything. This is a video WITHOUT boost

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVFogN2w6NA

Quote by Tupu

EDIT: The thread died again, and I won't do a third thread. I am thinking of either a Bogner Alchemist or a Laney VH100R. Thoughts?

Easy cowboy, you've got timezones to deal with. 3 hours =/= dead thread. I can't comment on those two amps, not enough experience with them.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Jun 14, 2011,
dude, laney vh100r all the way. its like the perfect amp imo. if only they made a 50 watt version hahah.

and it has 3 channels^ each with an independent effects loop. mikael uses laney gh100l for most studio sounds from i think around the damnation/BWP/ deliverance era on. sometimes he uses fender for cleans i think, and at one point i think i did hear they used a mesa, i think on still life judging by sound. but everything now, is delicious laney. the vh100r is basically like a 3 channel gh100l, mikael uses the gh100l live because he uses the boss gt10 for switching between all the sounds in a quickly needed live context. it REALLY REALLY confuses me as to why they dont use vh100r, especially for like their royal albert hall dvd, you can really hear the tonal difference especially in the distorted sounds.

basically to sum it up, the vh100r is one of the most versatile amps ive come across, and Opeth and prog etc is all my absolute favorite stuff, so versatility is a must for me, i understand exactly where youre coming from. i had the pleasure of owning a vh100r for a short period of time, but im pretty sure they didnt maintain it in the shop i got it from, when it shipped it has loose screws and whatnot, needed some work, you could tell it was neglected, i sadly had to ship it back as it had some nasty feedback issues. the laney has that awesome british crunch sound, and has all the gain you could want. the cleans are fender-ish, but somewhere inbetween british and american, which i personally love. you can also swap out the el34 stock tubes for 6l6 tubes, it has a simple bias switch on the back, adding to the versatility. i got to play with both tube types in, and if you use 6l6 it has like the greatest crystal clear cleans ever, however i do prefer el34 overall, personally.

they really are great amps, and like opeth, i think they have like the perfect sound. not to mention paul gilbert and tony iommi. i know agalloch used them for a short time a while back, and les discrets are using them now on their first tour.

damn, this is making me GAS for one of those heads again.... some day...

EDIT: im sorry, it does technically have only two channels, but the OD channel has two gain modes, which you can switch between via pedal, so you can have like a crunch type tone inbetween, i like to use for those clean ish fusion-y blues jazz whatever solos in the vein of the damnation album.
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Last edited by Linqua5150 at Jun 14, 2011,
So, I today went to the bigger city a hour and half drive away. I sadly didn't find a vh100r or a bogner alchemist, but still, I am certain I'll go for the laney. I tried out multiple amps, and totally ruled out both peavey's and ENGL's amps. I tried a Line 6 DT, but didn't like it as much as I liked the Laney Lionheart, I had the chance to try out. And the secondhand laney I've found is a good deal, which I will make.

I may also buy a PRS SE Custom 24, but that's another story....
you are stealing my dream setup my good friend hahahaa
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Yeah, that PRS was a really weird encounter. I went to this store which I had passed earlier, because it only had Vox, Blackstar and Marshall amps. Then I realised they had a PRS Torero, and I wanted to try it. I played it through a Marshall amp, which sound I did not like that much, but the playability of the PRS was great. Then the shokeeper told me they were waiting some new PRS SE Customs and I gave them my number so they can call me when they arrive. We'll see how it is...

EDIT: Of course the Alchemist man answered now and said he could post it to me. I have to think of a nice way to say no...
Last edited by Tupu at Jun 15, 2011,
Page 1 of 2