I've been looking into getting a new amp for some time and have finally decided i'm probably going to go for the Thunder 30.

I've considered and tried quite a few amps but the Orange seems to have all the features that I want in an amp.

I'm curious to know what people think on combo vs head and cab though. The combo is around the same price as the head by itself at most shops (£550ish) where as to buy the head and 1X12 cab it'd be an extra £200 pound. Is there much of a sound difference between the two as that's quite a difference in price?
Both the combo and the head are very sweet sounding. A local shop near me carried both for a time being.

Buying the head and cab seperatly is going to be more expensive because you're, for one, buying them seperately, and two, paying for versatility.

If space, portability, ect is a problem for you than go for the combo.

but if you foresee yourself ever wanting to say upgrade to a 212 or 412 cabinet, buy the head and cab seperately to give yourself that option.

Otherwise, my ears didn't detect any difference in their sound other than the head version being fuller sounding because it was sitting on a 412 cab.

I hope this helps!
Orange Rockerverb 100MKII
Orange PPC412C
Fender Telecaster: Hotrails, Air Norton, Area '58
Bass big muff
Russian big muff
Boss OC-3
Boss DD-3
You could actually buy the combo and a cab, and use it in stereo as there are sockets in the back for speaker outputs. That's what I'm gonna do when I finally buy my orange thunder.
Quote by Cracked.com
Then they torched an Apple Store and made a PowerPoint about their experiences.
Thanks for your responses, I think i'm probably going to go combo.

I've just done another search on prices and the combo is £547 at two online shops, though at most it's showing up as £632. Could the £547 be a mistake? (that seems to be the price of the amp head)
Quote by LutRes
I've just done another search on prices and the combo is £547 at two online shops, though at most it's showing up as £632. Could the £547 be a mistake? (that seems to be the price of the amp head)

Bump

Does anyone have any idea on the price difference?

Just thinking should I look at getting one soonish in case the price on all sites goes up to £632...
The 1x12 cab and head will sound way different to the combo. I went with the former, because the combo looks stupid imo.

The combo is open back with a G12H30, low end will be looser and rounder.

The cab is closed back with a V30, low end is tighter and more upper mids.
Nah, the shop I'm buying mine from is definitely £547.
Quote by Cracked.com
Then they torched an Apple Store and made a PowerPoint about their experiences.
Quote by beckyjc
The 1x12 cab and head will sound way different to the combo. I went with the former, because the combo looks stupid imo.

The combo is open back with a G12H30, low end will be looser and rounder.

The cab is closed back with a V30, low end is tighter and more upper mids.

I'm not to bothered about how the combo looks, it's the sound that's important after all

Would the sound difference between them be really noticeable though? And I take it the combo speaker could be swapped to be more like the one in the cab?
even with the same speakers, it would sound diff because the combo has an open back, while the cab is sealed.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have the TH30C (in black tolex) and whilst it sounds great it’s been a tad problematic….

The tubes, transformer and a couple of capacitors have been switched and now the speaker has ceased working (whilst rehearsing yesterday).
It’s still under warranty and it’s going back for one-last-chance before I get really annoyed and trade the thing. It would have already gone back, but I have fallen for the tones and the variation that is available.

Problem is, I have a gig on Thursday, another old Aussie valve amp has decided to blow a transformer (power) and the other is set to die. My Vox is in for a service… Hoping to borrow a friend’s Supro….
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.