Page 1 of 2
Quote by Tears of Sun
Thank you, and wat is that supposed to mean?

You will find, very quickly, that your amp is probably one of the most hated things on this site, for a good reason too.

Don't let that discourage you from playing though. Wait a year or so when your really good to get better gear.

Also, stay away from The Pit.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
You will find, very quickly, that your amp is probably one of the most hated things on this site, for a good reason too.

Don't let that discourage you from playing though. Wait a year or so when your really good to get better gear.

Also, stay away from The Pit.

Would Jimmy page use those settings for all his songs (or most)
Quote by Guitarbaddie
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=688660

Go there.

Also, nothing sounds right on a Marshall MG30FX

This
Was going to post this word for word
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Ok I'll just experiment and turn my gain up if anything, thanks both of you.

Could you tell me whats wrong with the amp lol?
Quote by Tears of Sun
Ok I'll just experiment and turn my gain up if anything, thanks both of you.

Could you tell me whats wrong with the amp lol?

Sounds muddy and like pewp, better amps for the price range, but not too much better. If you get a chance, just try a really nice, all tube amp at your local guitar shop some day. It may be quite awhile of playing before your truly appreciate good tone though.

I played for years with the same guitar amp before I started to get really tired with crappy tone.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Sounds muddy and like pewp, better amps for the price range, but not too much better. If you get a chance, just try a really nice, all tube amp at your local guitar shop some day. It may be quite awhile of playing before your truly appreciate good tone though.

I played for years with the same guitar amp before I started to get really tired with crappy tone.

Thanks it's been good so far one day I'll buy a better one, saving for a Goldtop Les Paul for now though
Quote by Tears of Sun
Thanks it's been good so far one day I'll buy a better one, saving for a Goldtop Les Paul for now though

Trust me, you want a better amp before a better guitar, but it is up to you.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Tears of Sun
Would Jimmy page use those settings for all his songs (or most)

no, Page used a variety of guitars and amps for Zep so it's not likely he would use the same settings under those conditions. much of jimmy's studio sound is a result of his recording methods so don't be suprised if you can't nail any given tone. live he used mainly Marshalls (Vox also in the early days) but you can't expect your amp to nail that sound either. this is one of the reasons MGs are hated is that while they say marshall on them they don't duplicate the classic marshall sound very well if at all. honestly put teh goldtop on hold and get a better amp first. no point in having an awesome guitar is all you have to play it through is a cheap amp.
Quote by monwobobbo
no, Page used a variety of guitars and amps for Zep so it's not likely he would use the same settings under those conditions. much of jimmy's studio sound is a result of his recording methods so don't be suprised if you can't nail any given tone. live he used mainly Marshalls (Vox also in the early days) but you can't expect your amp to nail that sound either. this is one of the reasons MGs are hated is that while they say marshall on them they don't duplicate the classic marshall sound very well if at all. honestly put teh goldtop on hold and get a better amp first. no point in having an awesome guitar is all you have to play it through is a cheap amp.

they may not duplicate the sound of the old days (given the price) but Im not really picky about sound at this point in time, the amp has been just fine and until you guys mentioned it I thought it was awesome
Quote by Tears of Sun
they may not duplicate the sound of the old days (given the price) but Im not really picky about sound at this point in time, the amp has been just fine and until you guys mentioned it I thought it was awesome

^ Just step away from the forums and go play, come back in a couple years when you have honed your skills and grow a distaste for your amp when you start listening to other amps.

Don't jump on the bandwagon yet
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
^ Just step away from the forums and go play, come back in a couple years when you have honed your skills and grow a distaste for your amp when you start listening to other amps.

Don't jump on the bandwagon yet

Oh for sure I'll buy one in a years time or so, but for now it does its job
Quote by Tears of Sun
Oh for sure I'll buy one in a years time or so, but for now it does its job

That's all that matters. My idea of a practice amp, is that it has to be able to turn on, and be audible. I mean, it's just a practice amp, not an amp that has to have amazing tone.

I use a cheap little amp for practice all the time, cheaper than your amp, despite having thousands of dollars worth of equipment.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Whole Lotta Love was done on his Supro wasnt it? Good luck trying to make an MG sound like that! You may as well try to get Paganini's Il Cannone Guarnerius' tone on a kazoo.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jun 14, 2011,
Quote by fly135
Here ya go. Right down to your amp...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06i4GKomSLY&feature=related

And that's supposed to sound like Page? Maybe if you were listening to it through a Japanese transistor radio from the 70's.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Who cares. If you can't find a sound with an amp that has so few controls, then you need to work on your skills anyway. It's not like the exact sound you want is going to jump out of the amp, no matter what amp you have. Tempo/rhythm/timing has far more to do with making your playing sound like the song than your amp does. Nobody is ever going to recognize a song from the amp tone.
I assume your settings are in 1-10 format, rather than o clock - as otherwise that's a very strange way to set up an amp.

Now, I have no experience with this amp, but I don't think you're doing yourself any favors with the gain up that high. I'd bring it down to around 5 (at least) - Page's tone is not that distorted (by modern standards anyway).
In addition, I'd keep the bass a bit further down, but leave the mids cranked. Possibly increase the treble slightly aswell - but as I said, I have no experience with that amp.

But the most important question remains: what guitar are you using?
Adam
Quote by adzlee123
But the most important question remains: what guitar are you using?

Probably the least of his worries.

TS RUN AWAY FROM THE FORUMS, JUST GO PLAY YOUR GUITAR!

Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
He played a 1960 LPC that had been heavily customized (before being stolen in 1970) aswell as a Supro amp. You won't be able to replicate that with a MG30 and whatever your guitar is (unless it's a vintage/custom shop les paul :P )
Quote by fly135
Who cares. If you can't find a sound with an amp that has so few controls, then you need to work on your skills anyway. It's not like the exact sound you want is going to jump out of the amp, no matter what amp you have. Tempo/rhythm/timing has far more to do with making your playing sound like the song than your amp does. Nobody is ever going to recognize a song from the amp tone.

Of course you have to play it properly but what has that got to do with the tone coming out of the amp? The guy in that vid plays the riffs pretty well but that sounds nothing like Page. It just sounds like somebody playing Led Zep riffs through a crap amp. Even if it was Page himself doing the demo it would still sound like Zep through a crap amp. Zep played well through a crap amp but Zep through a crap amp nonetheless.
Are we talking about what tone deaf audiences can distinguish or are we looking at this from the perspective of a guitarist trying to be satisfied with the sound coming from his amp?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jun 14, 2011,
We're looking at it from the perspective of a guy that owns an MG30FX and thought it was great until everyone here told him it was crap. Tone is a very subjective thing. When I first started playing I picked up one of those Smokey amps for portable use. I thought it sounded like crap. Then a guy who was a good guitar player tried it out and it sounded pretty good (within reason). Nothing trumps skill.

So what do you do? Tell a guy that he'll sound better if he gets a new amp? Maybe he won't. About the best answer is to listen to a recording of the song and adjust his amp to get as close as he can. But really, you don't need to sound exactly like the tone in the song. Just dial in a tone you like that's similar and learn to play the song better.

If you are good enough to play the song well, then you can probably figure out out to dial in your amp yourself. If you are a great player, have all the right equipment, and just can't find that final tweak, then you probably already know more than anyone here, and just have a picky ear for tone.
Reality is a bitch. When somebody asks "how can I get Jimmy's Supro tone on an MG?" The answer is "You can't." Period, the end.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by fly135
We're looking at it from the perspective of a guy that owns an MG30FX and thought it was great until everyone here told him it was crap. Tone is a very subjective thing. When I first started playing I picked up one of those Smokey amps for portable use. I thought it sounded like crap. Then a guy who was a good guitar player tried it out and it sounded pretty good (within reason). Nothing trumps skill.

So what do you do? Tell a guy that he'll sound better if he gets a new amp? Maybe he won't. About the best answer is to listen to a recording of the song and adjust his amp to get as close as he can. But really, you don't need to sound exactly like the tone in the song. Just dial in a tone you like that's similar and learn to play the song better.

If you are good enough to play the song well, then you can probably figure out out to dial in your amp yourself. If you are a great player, have all the right equipment, and just can't find that final tweak, then you probably already know more than anyone here, and just have a picky ear for tone.

in theory i agree with what you are saying but not totally. new players don't have to learn to "play" they have a ton of vids and tabs to show them where the fingers go but that doesn't make you a "player". seems like learning to get a tone on your own has become a bit of a lost art. go on a forum and ask or watch the vid etc. the other thing is that there seems to be way more of an expectation that you can sound just like (fill in guitar hero here) with no real effort. i never even tried to chase any ones tone when i first started and had to figure things out myself most of the time. finding somwone that knew how to play something that would show you was a god send .
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, imagine that? EQ'ing yourself so you get a good mix for the entire band - what a goose!!!

But seriously, I've got a cookie tin that does a better job of Zep tones than an MG.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by forsaknazrael
it's almost like he let the bass guitar of John Paul Jones fill up the bass frequencies....o_O

-_- , he still had a very thin shrill and weak sound. I will never understand how so many people love his tone. Great guitarist though, but tonally mediocre at best ._.
Quote by Zoot Allures
-_- , he still had a very thin shrill and weak sound. I will never understand how so many people love his tone. Great guitarist though, but tonally mediocre at best ._.

I agree.
Quote by Cathbard
But seriously, I've got a cookie tin that does a better job of Zep tones than an MG.
Yeah, but the cookies taste like solder and flux.
Quote by monwobobbo
in theory i agree with what you are saying but not totally. new players don't have to learn to "play" they have a ton of vids and tabs to show them where the fingers go but that doesn't make you a "player".
Well I agree that you don't need to learn to play if you don't want to be a player.

Not sure why you needed point that out.

However, you bring up an important point. You can learn the notes from a book, but you can only get the phrasing and timing from listening to the actual song. I would argue that playing with the correct phrasing and tempo is more instrumental to recognizing a song than just hitting the right notes.

I'd rather listen to someone who knows how to play on an MG than a noob struggling on a <insert amp of your choice>.
But when somebody asks how to make their amp have a certain tone the answer isn't "get the phrasing right". You are talking about something that has nothing to do with what the TS is asking. We are talking about the tone, not the playing. I fail to see the relevance to the topic.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification