They are completely different. Although natural harmonics and dead notes are sounded by lightly laying your finger on the string. Dead notes your stopping the string from vibrating.
Use the searchbar.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Koshman32
They are completely different. Although natural harmonics and dead notes are sounded by lightly laying your finger on the string. Dead notes your stopping the string from vibrating.
Use the searchbar.

My bad, I didnt mean same thing, I meant played the same way. So for dead notes dont let the string vibrate (push down a little)
harmonics are made by playing just the note frequency, whereas dead notes have no pitch, they are use for percussive porpuse
How do you play a dead note then if it is played the exact same way a harmonic is played (lay your finger on the string, strum)
Quote by Tears of Sun
How do you play a dead note then if it is played the exact same way a harmonic is played (lay your finger on the string, strum)

you don't really "play" a dead note it is just a percussive effect. harmonics are done by very lightly touching the sting but not deadening it. at certain spots (ie harmonic nodes) you will get the harmonic to sound.
Quote by monwobobbo
you don't really "play" a dead note it is just a percussive effect. harmonics are done by very lightly touching the sting but not deadening it. at certain spots (ie harmonic nodes) you will get the harmonic to sound.

So what do you do to do the effect? Just push down slightly between two frets and strum?
nah, rest about 3-4 fingers on the strings and strum. dead note.

place 1 finger on a certain spot on the fret and don't press down all the way and pick it and let go of the string. natural harmonic.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
nah, rest about 3-4 fingers on the strings and strum. dead note.

place 1 finger on a certain spot on the fret and don't press down all the way and pick it and let go of the string. natural harmonic.

What if you want to play a dead note on a particular string?