Anyone have any tips? This is the mix so far

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8416500/We%27ll%20Be%20Free.mp3

And I just can't seem to make them mesh that well. Panning it slightly to the left helps a little, but the acoustic was recorded in stereo, so I don't want to go too far to either side with it. Also, I realize the kick is too loud. I just discovered today that my "snare" track and my "kick" track were reversed, so all the processing I did on my kick was really done to the snare, and I still haven't fixed it quite yet.
Last edited by Alex Vik at Jun 14, 2011,
Hey, not gonna try and get too harsh here so here goes:

The guitar and piano aren't in tune with one another, presumably the acoustic is a little out. And overall the timing is off across most of the instruments (was this all performed live, or to a click track and overdubbed later?). The acoustic guitar itself also has no real body... most of the sound seems to be the percussive attack of the strings and their 'twang' rather than the resonance of the body and the sound waves that come from that.

Also, the piano has no particular sheen to it - it's almost like the high-end was slowly sheared off with a 6dB/octave low-pass filter. If you put a bit more treble and presence to give the piano some 'airiness' you should find you can have it lower in the mix but still nice and audible.

So basically do the opposite to the piano and guitar, and you should reach a nicer balance. Everything else just needs better timing mainly, and to be honest the acoustic could do with re-recording when fully in tune if you want to release/promote the mix.

Don't take this to heart though, I'm one of the harsher critics on here
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
^ +1

basically listen to this dude what you have there is something i would show to bandmates as a song idea. i would personally suggest re-recording the guitar and piano.

i'm not sure what kind of setup you have but if you can tune up the piano and guitar and stick 2 mics on each of them you should have a good sound. if you have 2 mics stick one on the left side of the piano and one on the right over the strings between 1-2 feet away (this really depends on the piano and players style etc, just adjust levels till its not clipping)

on the guitar try to stick a mic 6-12 inches from the soundhole and a second mic off center pointed at the twelfth freth. take both of these piano/guitar recordings and mix them wide. i'd do something like piano 50L/50R and guitar 40L/40R or maybe bring the guitar in a little closer to give the piano more space.
DisarmGoliath, you weren't really harsh at all

The piano is MIDI, and I don't know how much the guy I'm recording would like having to do both tracks over again, especially since this album's been taking longer than expected. I might try a different VST though. I miced the acoustic exactly as you said, and tuned the acoustic to the best of my ability. As far as body goes, he doesn't exactly have a strong pick attack, so that's kind of his problem. Plus, instead of bringing his nice expensive acoustic over, he's decided to be lazy and just use my cheap $100 Jasmine acoustic with super dead strings.

As far as the click goes, technically it was recorded to a click, but this guy has no sense of rhythm at all, so everything was recorded to the acoustic track. Nothing was done live seeing as he played everything but bass and drums. I was planning on re-recording drums sometime since that was actually my first take.
Last edited by Alex Vik at Jun 14, 2011,
^ i think what he means by body is the actual tone of the guitar itself, you can hear the pick attack and the high end that actually sticks out is in the same range as some of the other instruments so it kinda gets drowned out. this might be a moment to examine your mic'ing techniques. you might want to get a friend in there to help you record the guitar, mic'ing an acoustic well can sometimes take a little time. another question, were the guitar strings fresh and of a decent quality?

if the musician you're working with doesn't have a good sense of rhythm and is against redoing tracks to correct it then theres only so much you can fix timing wise.
Quote by z4twenny
were the guitar strings fresh and of a decent quality?

Simply put, nope. However, I did agree to get him to bring his acoustic over tomorrow to redo the track in the OP plus a couple more. I think I might mess with the MIDI file to get it more in time too.
Didn't listen to it yet but I have a question... How in the hell do you do any processing on drum tracks (or any tracks for that matter) without listening to it? I don't see how you can get those backwards. How do you know if what you're doing to those tracks is actually beneficial?

Ok, now I've listened to it. As far as piano/guitar goes, the timing is too far off for them to mesh well. The piano and acoustic are also out of tune. Not just out of tune with each other, but they are both out of tune with themselves. When you're tracking, tuning is VERY important. Make sure all your instruments are tuned to themselves AND each other. One other thing that jumps out at me is the piano is pretty thin sounding.

It's a pretty cool track, once you get those things worked out it'll be good. I'd love to hear it once it's all finished up and the kinks are worked out. I'd personally recommend either getting the piano tuned and miked better or use a keyboard or go MIDI with it. It's not as "real" but you can get very impressive piano sounds these days.

Best of luck to you man.
Quote by sandyman323
Didn't listen to it yet but I have a question... How in the hell do you do any processing on drum tracks (or any tracks for that matter) without listening to it? I don't see how you can get those backwards. How do you know if what you're doing to those tracks is actually beneficial?It's a pretty cool track, once you get those things worked out it'll be good. I'd love to hear it once it's all finished up and the kinks are worked out. I'd personally recommend either getting the piano tuned and miked better or use a keyboard or go MIDI with it. It's not as "real" but you can get very impressive piano sounds these days.

Best of luck to you man.

The mind is easy to fool. If I push a knob and think it's doing something, it'll sound like it's doing something to me.

I actually did the piano with a keyboard and MIDI, so changing mics etc. isn't exactly an option. I've got two piano VSTs, and this is the better sounding one, so I can try tweaking some effects and stuff to try and make it sound fuller.
Quote by Alex Vik

I actually did the piano with a keyboard and MIDI, so changing mics etc. isn't exactly an option. I've got two piano VSTs, and this is the better sounding one, so I can try tweaking some effects and stuff to try and make it sound fuller.

Maybe the out of tune acoustic was throwing off my ear. I don't know. A little extra low end and maybe a little more volume would work wonders. Also, I'm noticing that the reverb on the piano doesn't go well with the verb on the guitar (if there is any). The piano sounds way off in the distance while the guitar sounds like it's sitting a few inches in front of me. Balancing them out so they sound like they're in the same space would help them mesh better.
It sounds like a muddy mess, the piano just sounds like a blob. No mids or low end what so ever. The lows on a a piano should be pronounced and clear, but not overpowering. So high pass it and then to me it sounds like your going to have to compress the lows.

The guy playing the guitar, needs to play tighter, it's not meshing with the track at all, and it's throwing it all off. Make the guy play to the drum track, if you try meshing a drum track to the guitar, then it'll never work, a guitarist can't keep a perfect rhythm without a metronome of some sort, like drums.
Timing in general is very sloppy, and the acoustic is no exception. It's painfully obvious that you've overlooked timing problems in the doubled electric guitars, they're both out of time from the song and each other. You could go in and do some hard editing to fix the timing on everything, but these are the things you need to listen for while tracking. It should be obvious immediately after listening to playback of a take if it's in time or not.

Quote by Alex Vik
The mind is easy to fool. If I push a knob and think it's doing something, it'll sound like it's doing something to me.

Well is it doing something or not?
Last edited by take_it_t at Jun 15, 2011,